Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-01-2018, 09:59   #1
Stellasmurf

Retinol A - any experiences?

Hello,
I started using a 1% Retinol A product two months ago. I never use it more than once a week and only use a pea size amount each time. My skin had little to no peeling at first, and no other effects. 
However, two months later, I am still only using the same amount, once a week but the peeling seems to have got worse and there is a slight 'sunburn' feel in some areas now. I would have thought my skin would be getting more used to it. I have started using a face cloth in evenings and morning to gently exfoliate but perhaps this is irritating it more.
Does anyone have experience with these type of products? Does your skin ever get used to it? I was using a retinoid product before this so it wasn't like I jumped straight in!
Thanks for any advice.
Advertisement
01-02-2018, 02:17   #2
PonyLuv

Hey,

I've found varying results depending on which brand I'm using. I recently used the 1% from The Ordinary and I had the same sunburn, face peeling off experience. I stopped using it as my peeling makeup was not a good look - my skin felt amazing about 3-4 days after stopping. Previously I have used Paula's Choice 1% with zero ill-effects. There was about E75 difference in the cost though.
01-02-2018, 16:25   #3
ShiMc

It might depend on your own skin's tolerance to retinoids. I can use .05% about twice a week without irritation but I will peel. I now alternate .05% with .025% every couple of nights and can tolerate it very well. (That's the prescription stuff so very strong). 1% retinol is about the same strength as .025% prescription retinoid. It can actually take several months for your skin to adapt and any extended breaks from regular application can set you back to square one. I would apply a moisturising cream first on the night you use it, wait about 5 to 10 minutes and then apply your retinol. Your skin should get used to it, you just need patience and a high sunscreen!
12-02-2018, 22:23   #4
sassyj

I got up to using 0.5% every day,.
but did peel a lot initially! Dermatologist recommended using Neostrata Bionic Face Cream while using it, not cheap but good stuff! Make sure to leave at least 30 minutes after washing your face before applying the retin A. 1% is very strong to start off on, I'd stop is I were you and go with a lower level
12-02-2018, 22:44   #5
Stellasmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyj View Post
I got up to using 0.5% every day,.
but did peel a lot initially! Dermatologist recommended using Neostrata Bionic Face Cream while using it, not cheap but good stuff! Make sure to leave at least 30 minutes after washing your face before applying the retin A. 1% is very strong to start off on, I'd stop is I were you and go with a lower level
Thanks for all your suggestions. My face actually stopped peeling and I've now started using it twice a week. I apply a facial oil afterwards so I think this has helped.
Has anyone used the prescription retin a? I'm thinking I might up the strength once I'm finished with current bottle.
Advertisement
13-02-2018, 07:59   #6
sassyj

Mine was prescription strength, prescibed by dermatologist. The prescription stuff is stronger than anything you get over the counter, doctor / dermatologist should guide you. Be careful with your skin,The Skin Nerd often mentions dancers of using these products without proper advice, some are very strong.
13-02-2018, 13:32   #7
Stellasmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyj View Post
Mine was prescription strength, prescibed by dermatologist. The prescription stuff is stronger than anything you get over the counter, doctor / dermatologist should guide you. Be careful with your skin,The Skin Nerd often mentions dancers of using these products without proper advice, some are very strong.
Thanks Sassy; has it been worth it in your opinion? How is your skin?
13-02-2018, 15:59   #8
Diziet

Also make sure you use a good sunscreen every day when using retin products, as they increase sun sensitivity.
13-02-2018, 21:44   #9
sassyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellasmurf View Post
Thanks Sassy; has it been worth it in your opinion? How is your skin?
Well worth it, skin clarity imported so much, add dark spots lightened. Black heads went, it's the good stuff
Advertisement
12-03-2018, 22:34   #10
greentea is just wrong

@sassyj

Do you need to go to a doctor/derma? What do you ask for, or say?

I would like to improve clarity too - don't really get spots, but tone can be uneven, and get blackheads, large pores etc

thanks!
08-04-2018, 23:49   #11
sassyj

Onkyy seeing this sorry. I got prescription from dermatologist.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion