Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-08-2018, 18:35   #421
blackbird 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmittel View Post
Only getting back to this thread now because the onboard free wifi was rubbish! But having done the whole journey that would be my only complaint.

It was brilliant. From the point of view of a family travelling to southern Spain it is a game changer and I hope it is very successful.

I think the whole no frills thing has been over egged by the company themselves. They advertise it with warnings as if it is a cattle ship, and before booking you have to accept a disclaimer that you are accepting steerage class. It is nothing of the sort.

The reality is if you are viewing the ferry trip as a necessary part of the journey as an alternative to driving through France this route wins hands down on every consideration.

There may be some less easily convinced because they view the ferry trip as part of the holiday itself and need clowns for the kids etc but for us this ferry is a godsend.
Just wondering is there a bar or cafe or coffee machine aboard, hopefully might get going next year, and will know what supplies to bring, thanks
Advertisement
16-08-2018, 19:39   #422
Tigerandahalf

A journey down to the south of Spain or Portugal would be about 12 hours. That is a lot of time to add onto the ferry journey.
You would want to be going for at least 3 weeks.

Just checked google maps. About 9.5 hrs without stop to the Algarve or Malaga.
I guess you could take an hour break. I think you would probably need a 2nd driver. Not ideal for your back but if you really need the car/fear of flying/kids with special needs it is an option.

It could be a good option for people who spend the winter in the sun, though the car insurance might be an issue.

Last edited by Tigerandahalf; 16-08-2018 at 19:47.
16-08-2018, 20:12   #423
schmittel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird 49 View Post
Just wondering is there a bar or cafe or coffee machine aboard, hopefully might get going next year, and will know what supplies to bring, thanks
Yep full bar open all day. Restaurant/cafe open meal times. Coffee is a lot better from the bar than the restaurant!
Thanks from:
16-08-2018, 21:31   #424
Tigerandahalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmittel View Post
Yep full bar open all day. Restaurant/cafe open meal times. Coffee is a lot better from the bar than the restaurant!
How are people putting down the time on the ferry? Reading, walking about, watching tablets?
16-08-2018, 22:00   #425
Water John

I think Tiger you're addressing concerns of people who wont be using it re: Algarve and Malaga.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-08-2018, 22:06   #426
schmittel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerandahalf View Post
How are people putting down the time on the ferry? Reading, walking about, watching tablets?
Old fashioned board games believe it or not. I have never seen so many parents playing games with their kids.

A lot of books with real pages as well. Relics of a bygone era!

And people were talking to each other as well!

It was quite refreshing to see a group of people without their heads buried in a phone/tablet.
21-08-2018, 14:54   #427
54and56

We typically do the Dublin -> Rosslare drive then ferry to Roscoff/Cherbourg and then drive 760km down through Rennes -> Nantes -> Niort -> Bordeaux to our destination near Mimizan. From leaving the ferry to unpacking with one lunch break and one coffee stop it takes between 9 and 10 hours plus a full tank of diesel (€120 or so) and about €50 in toll charges which I know can be avoided if you don't value the time saving/ease of motorway driving.

As we go for 3 weeks I'm thinking of trying out the Santander ferry. We used the LD ferry a few years ago and apart from it being a serious bargain (something like €200 one way for a 4X4 and a 4 person outside cabin) it meant we had a relatively short journey from the ferry and arrived much fresher having avoided the big drive down through France.

Has anyone here used the Santander ferry and then driven back up towards Bordeaux as their holiday destination? Google maps is telling me the drive from Santander to Mimizan would be about 360km and 4 hours if done in a single stint which would be doable although a quick coffee/toilet break might be needed.

When we do our usual Rosslare -> Roscoff journey we can leave Dublin @ 11am Friday morning, get to Rosslare in time for a nice relaxing lunch, depart @ 16:00 or so and arrive Mimizan Saturday evening around 20:30 after the big drive.

The Friday night Cork -> Santander ferry wouldn't get us into Santander until 8am Sunday morning and we'd arrive at our holiday destination circa 13:00 all going well with diembarcation, border crossing (is it seamless a la northern Ireland?) and coffee stops etc

I'd have no problem with the "no frills" ferry as I believe it is similar to the Epsilion and the LD Lines ferry both of which had IMHO much more comfortable beds than the Oscar Wilde and we don't have young kids (17 and 13) so we've outgrown the face painting etc but much as I'd prefer a 5 hour drive to a 10 drive I'm not sure it's worth an extra night on a ferry and one less day (more or less) at the start and end of the holiday.

Any thoughts from someone who has tried similar? Was the trade off worth it? I'm veering towards "No".

Last edited by 54and56; 21-08-2018 at 15:04.
Thanks from:
27-08-2018, 21:48   #428
Carawaystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Je_suis_Jean View Post

The Friday night Cork -> Santander ferry wouldn't get us into Santander until 8am Sunday morning and we'd arrive at our holiday destination circa 13:00 all going well with diembarcation, border crossing (is it seamless a la northern Ireland?) and coffee stops etc
The border is pretty much seamless, except there's a toll station very shortly over the french side.
Thanks from:
05-09-2018, 11:31   #429
Stab*City

Just back. Ferry is totally fine. Clean. Staff were nice. Would do it again. Also had the dog with us.
Advertisement
16-09-2018, 22:12   #430
ellee

Does anyone know if this route is running again in 2019? It’s not available on their website beyond November 2018 atm.
17-09-2018, 07:30   #431
Juggler101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellee View Post
Does anyone know if this route is running again in 2019? It’s not available on their website beyond November 2018 atm.
I was on to them a few months ago and they said 2019 dates would be up in September. No sign of them yet though!
Thanks from:
18-09-2018, 11:03   #432
roundymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggler101 View Post
I was on to them a few months ago and they said 2019 dates would be up in September. No sign of them yet though!
Waiting for Mrs May to make up her mind.
20-09-2018, 20:16   #433
manshay

Dates, times and fares for 2019 now available online.
24-09-2018, 13:24   #434
Dublin Mum

We've just booked our ferry for summer 2019 now- €1,591 return for 2 adults, 3 children, cabin, large Motorhome sailing out in July returning August. Delighted with that price as it was coming in dearer when we priced it for this year (had already booked France).

We've done the Rosslare to Cherbourg crossing with Stena Line (and previously Celtic Link) for the last 8 years and find the ferry very relaxing, it's the start of our holiday. I'm sure we'll have no problem with the additional 10 hours on this one.
(3) thanks from:
24-09-2018, 13:48   #435
First Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mum
We've done the Rosslare to Cherbourg crossing with Stena Line (and previously Celtic Link) for the last 8 years and find the ferry very relaxing, it's the start of our holiday. I'm sure we'll have no problem with the additional 10 hours on this one.
I assume you confirmed you booked the 26 hour sailing and not the 33.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion