Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

• 11-01-2018 10:28pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This thread is for the continuing discussion of Donald Trumps's presidency in the US and any related matters.

Please ensure that you are familiar with the charter before posting.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Let's Make this thread great again :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Now here's an unusual take of the Electoral College effect on the overall vote, and how it can have a swing effect way beyond the imgination of the people who came up with it's formulae. Robotizing the factory floor....... https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/opinion/trump-robots-electoral-college.html

This reported comment by Don is presumbly for a partiular audience, and not the lawmakers who were there to hear it. He think's [rightly] that they'll mention and comment on his remarks spreading his words, so he can comment later on the story via twitter..... https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/us/politics/trump-immigration-norway-haiti.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

• Registered Users Posts: 27,943 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mr. Trump asked why he would want “all these people from ****hole countries,” adding that the United States should admit more people from places like Norway.

so the Norwegians posted a headline that they 'did not want to come to your ****hole country' then spoiled it by pointing out it was a joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Flashbacks to the alleged Aids and huts comments.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

He says what people secretly think and this will appeal to tens of millions, there is millions who would never admit but when it comes to the crunch they will back Trump because it is ok to have a dissenting opinion and not be politically correct. If a bunch of liberal snowflakes get offended then that's their problem.

Norway and greater Scandinavia could do with some of those US visas because their own governments seem hellbent in committing national suicide for to appease cultural Marxism and make Sweden and Norway Islamic countries within the next half century. E.g. Ex Isis combatants are given welfare and special rehabilitation courses, whereas in a proper society they would be all lined up and shot at dawn. Trump is not popular because he says the things that are unpalatable but true, the truth hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We know Trump was thinking, colour, but didn't actually say it. You really don't need to vocalise it, for him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Doltanian wrote: »
    He says what people secretly think and this will appeal to tens of millions, there is millions who would never admit but when it comes to the crunch they will back Trump because it is ok to have a dissenting opinion and not be politically correct. If a bunch of liberal snowflakes get offended then that's their problem.

Norway and greater Scandinavia could do with some of those US visas because their own governments seem hellbent in committing national suicide for to appease cultural Marxism and make Sweden and Norway Islamic countries within the next half century. E.g. Ex Isis combatants are given welfare and special rehabilitation courses, whereas in a proper society they would be all lined up and shot at dawn. Trump is not popular because he says the things that are unpalatable but true, the truth hurts.

An enormous amount of US towns and states that voted for him are complete and utter sh!tholes. Falling apart, dwindling populations, huge crime and drug rates, Zero employment.
    He hasn’t actually been in any of them in real time / outside a rally. Of course the pig ignorant idiots from these places who voted for him will agree with him. For now. But there will at some point come a day when They will look around and ask hang on, when is he making America great again?

At this point I don’t believe these are random outbursts from him. It’s all very stage managed and almost timetabled in a race to how low can be actually go? Surely this is the lowest? And no. There’s always a new low.

He’s an embarrassment to all of us as a species not just America.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Less of the Twitter dumps and one-liners please. If you post a link, please include some sort of opinion or comment instead of just posting it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stheno wrote: »

Now confirmed by sky

Apparently he's offended that he won't be treated with the aplomb he deserves

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

OK. Take a breather for a sec. Breathe in, breathe out, repeat.

Now, see that incel on twitter that you've been following; You know, the one who get you all riled up about Malmo and the no-go areas? Just unfollow him. That should help your blood pressure.

Now the next step is to help you get a grip on reality and to provide you with the tools to assist you in knowing when you're being conned. Ask yourself, are you getting angry about stuff you read about on the internet? For example, are you angry about some town in sweden when you live in some sh*thole with Bally or Borris in its name? Does it bother you that you see darkies on the road from time to time, If yes to either, then you might be getting manipulated and you should seek help.

You see, we're not going to be deporting the darkies anytime soon. Most of them have jobs and contribute to our society. I understand that there is a minority of Irish people who sit on their asses, failing at life and like to blame the darkies for their failures but the real world moves on while failures complain.

Whatever about the foreigners, you need help. The best thing that I can suggest is not to listen to incels or the likes. If that's too much and if you feel that the emotions of incels match yours, there's not much that I can do except let you know that that crowd are mad and you shouldn't make them your bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

david75 wrote:
    An enormous amount of US towns and states that voted for him are complete and utter sh!tholes. Falling apart, dwindling populations, huge crime and drug rates, Zero employment. He hasn’t actually been in any of them in real time / outside a rally. Of course the pig ignorant idiots from these places who voted for him will agree with him. For now. But there will at some point come a day when They will look around and ask hang on, when is he making America great again?

So true, some of those towns look like they're in a third world country. I remember holidaying in Orlando and Disney World which was amazing, but I drove out into the countryside and I saw people living housing that would be condemned here.

But the problem will still be that in the next election they will still only have Trump to tell them that he is going to make their lives better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

You have to admire Trump. He really wants to prove beyond any doubt that he's a complete racist.
    He's making it very hard on his supporters to spin things at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

He says what people secretly think and this will appeal to tens of millions, there is millions who would never admit but when it comes to the crunch they will back Trump because it is ok to have a dissenting opinion and not be politically correct. If a bunch of liberal snowflakes get offended then that's their problem. .
    I think the opposite is true, if you have an opinion on something you shouldn't be afraid to say it or openly say you'll support it, otherwise it can't be a very strong held view and nothing to build a political movement on.
    "what people secretly think" why keep their thoughts concealed? It's hardly because of what like minded people might think. So why then? whats all the secrecy about?
    You've got it the wrong way round, it's because of this weakness on the ground that dog whistles and code are used by any leader that might come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is disgraceful what Trump said about some countries being ****holes.
    I think this is such a powerful piece from Anderson Cooper, which I watched and it is the truth. He talks about Haiti and his experience of the country and its people.
    Maybe Trump should visit these places, meet the people and see for himself how hard they have it, instead of playing more golf.
    https://twitter.com/ac360/status/951637959983247362

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm not a Trump fan but I won't lie, I'd also call some of those countries 'sh1tholes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

And some of them are sh1tholes at least in part because the US made them so.

But the issue is not whether the countries are sh1tholes, or why. The issue is whether people should be treated more badly, either by law or as a matter of public policy, because them come from a sh1thole country. "You come from Teapotistan, which I consider to be a sh1thole; therefore my administration will treat you worse than we would if you came from somewhere a lot whiter and more Nordic".

Stheno wrote: »
    It turns out this is all Obama's fault.

For which I think all of Britain will be saying, with one voice: Thank you, Mr Obama!

Here in the real world, the decision to move away from "the best located and finest embassy in London" was taken by the Bush administration, not the Obama administration. It was taken primarily on security grounds. It was also the Bush administration which purchase the new embassy site "in an off location" (Nine Elms). It's true that the actual sale of the current embassy building was concluded under Obama, in 2009. Was it sold for "peanuts"? Nobody knows; the sale price was not disclosed.

Trump's claims about the reason for cancelling the visit would be marginally more plausible,but for the fact that he only decided to make the visit last month. Presumably, last month he didn't think the embassy transaction was a "bad deal". And the facts of the transaction haven't changed since then.

Obviously, the President is too gutless to be honest about his real reasons for cancelling his visit. Sad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

RobertKK wrote: »
    It is disgraceful what Trump said about some countries being ****holes.
    I think this is such a powerful piece from Anderson Cooper, which I watched and it is the truth. He talks about Haiti and his experience of the country and its people.
    Maybe Trump should visit these places, meet the people and see for himself how hard they have it, instead of playing more golf.
    https://twitter.com/ac360/status/951637959983247362

CNN yuck !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

E.g. Ex Isis combatants are given welfare and special rehabilitation courses, whereas in a proper society they would be all lined up and shot at dawn.

You're aware we don't have capital punishment either, right?

Sorry Ireland, you don't shoot people so you're not a proper society. (Sad!)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Samaris wrote:
    Sorry Ireland, you don't shoot people so you're not a proper country. Sad!

It's actually not sad, but in fact disturbing that some people think like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Wanderer78 wrote: »

It is a little weird that people take up such a non-Irish view from Ireland. We've not had capital punishment in a pretty long time and there is no national appetite to bringing it back (not that individuals can't hang their national identity by the neck if they like). American media is kinda pervasive though. But that people will parrot stuff about firing squads being a prerequisite to being considered a "proper society" is a tad nutty. Mind you, if you're already working off the Scandorabia notion as an argument for said firing squads than I can only suggest actually going to Scandinavia. There are problems in some cities, but banging on about Scandinavia countries becoming Islamic in the next 50 years (or at all tbh) is sheer hysteria.

The migration wave wasn't handled well, it was bigger than predicted and hit serious social and political roadblocks in Europe. But there are arguments to make that aren't waving one's arms about in panic and wailing about the loss of entire countries to the Forces of Islam. Bollocks, like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Peregrinus wrote: »
    And some of them are sh1tholes at least in part because the US made them so.

But the issue is not whether the countries are sh1tholes, or why. The issue is whether people should be treated more badly, either by law or as a matter of public policy, because them come from a sh1thole country. "You come from Teapotistan, which I consider to be a sh1thole; therefore my administration will treat you worse than we would if you came from somewhere a lot whiter and more Nordic".

People from Nordic countries are also more likely to be educated, and better able to contribute to the US than someone from Haiti. I suspect that if someone with a Master's Degree in Chemical Science of the University of Port-au-Prince applied for a visa in the US, he's be treated by INS about the same as someone with a Master's Degree in Chemical Science from University Oslo or UCD. The idea of being picky about who to let in based on their background is hardly unique to the US.

And those who are comparing the arse end of Arkansas with Haiti has apparently not been to both. There's '****hole', and then there's '****hole'.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I doubt there is much thinking involved, TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

People from Nordic countries are also more likely to be educated, and better able to contribute to the US than someone from Haiti. I suspect that if someone with a Master's Degree in Chemical Science of the University of Port-au-Prince applied for a visa in the US, he's be treated by INS about the same as someone with a Master's Degree in Chemical Science from University Oslo or UCD. The idea of being picky about who to let in based on their background is hardly unique to the US.

Don't think anyone disagrees with that, except Donald Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Patser

I'm just loving watching Peter Hoekstra being torn apart by Dutch journalists.

Bit of background, he's a Dutch born Republican Congressman and Trump's newly selected Ambassador to Holland. Only problem is, back in 2015 while speaking in an official capacity (and in a way Trump would be do proud of) said The Netherlands had no go areas for local people, where cars and even politicians were set on fire due to huge numbers of Islamic immigrants.

So this year he's appointed Ambassador, a local journalist brings up these comments and is told thats 'fake news' I never said that, only for journalist to take out phone and show him the clip of him saying it.

And yesterday at his official reception things got even better as journalist after journalist kept asking him the same question. He's just so awkward it's brilliant.

Link below has video from yesterday but also further down a clip from the original journalist catching him out a month ago.

http://www.ibtimes.com/watch-pete-hoekstra-ambassador-netherlands-dumbfounded-dutch-journalists-questions-2640829

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

And those who are comparing the arse end of Arkansas with Haiti has apparently not been to both. There's '****hole', and then there's '****hole'.

There are countries which are more developed than others and countries who's people are generally more highly educated. Thats a fact. It's relevant when promoting industry abroad and negotiating trade deals. The President of America should be aware of the difference between being aware of this and referring to a place as a sh*thole when discussing refugees.

Why did so many Irish go to America and wish they were back home again? Where they had no opportunity or education? Because it was home.

This isn't surprising out of Donald. In fact, it's good. When some people get annoyed about how unpresidential he is some others say it's their problem for misinterpreting something.

There's no room for misinterpretation here and while his fans will make excuses. Most reasonable people, some of whom may have voted for him, will start to listen to their conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,815 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

vetinari wrote: »
    You have to admire Trump. He really wants to prove beyond any doubt that he's a complete racist.
    He's making it very hard on his supporters to spin things at this point.

Meh, they'll just let their masks slip instead. Trump could rape someone on live TV and they'd fawn over how "alpha AF" he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,442 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But that is not what Trump thinks. He question why they were taking people in from Haiti etc on the basis that the country is a sh1thole, nothing to do with the level of degree the person has.

It is the very definition of racism. Not potential, not possible, 100% racism. Haiti people are trouble, Nordic people are great (I do wonder has he heard of Anders Brevic!)

So as was already pointed out, it is not that he is saying the country is a sh1thole, it is that he is using that as the basis for excluding the people from that country for applying for visas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement