Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2018, 19:22   #1
Wombatman

Anti #MeToo letter defends men's right to 'steal a kiss'

More than 100 prominent French women from all walks of life caused a major stir this week after publishing an editorial in Le Monde, France’s newspaper of record, arguing that the recent backlash against sexual harassment had become a “witch hunt.” The signers included the 14-time Caesar Award nominee Catherine Deneuve, as well as Catherine Robbe-Grillet, a comedian that Vanity Fair once dubbed the country’s most famous dominatrix.

“Men have been punished… when all they did was touch someone’s knee or try to steal a kiss,” the women write. “The haste to send the ‘pigs’ to the abattoir, far from liberating women, in reality serves the interests of the enemies of sexual liberty, the religious extremists, the worst reactionaries.” (The French equivalent of #MeToo is #BalanceTonPorc, or “squeal on your pig.”)
Advertisement
11-01-2018, 21:00   #2
riffmongous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombatman View Post
More than 100 prominent French women from all walks of life caused a major stir this week after publishing an editorial in Le Monde, France’s newspaper of record, arguing that the recent backlash against sexual harassment had become a “witch hunt.” The signers included the 14-time Caesar Award nominee Catherine Deneuve, as well as Catherine Robbe-Grillet, a comedian that Vanity Fair once dubbed the country’s most famous dominatrix.

“Men have been punished… when all they did was touch someone’s knee or try to steal a kiss,” the women write. “The haste to send the ‘pigs’ to the abattoir, far from liberating women, in reality serves the interests of the enemies of sexual liberty, the religious extremists, the worst reactionaries.” (The French equivalent of #MeToo is #BalanceTonPorc, or “squeal on your pig.”)
Hmm, she was also defending that rapist Polanski a few months ago..
11-01-2018, 21:10   #3
Beefy78

There's a joke in here somewhere about 'kissing frogs'
11-01-2018, 21:14   #4
The_Valeyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy78 View Post
There's a joke in here somewhere about 'kissing frogs'
Disney told me they turn into Princes
11-01-2018, 21:15   #5
alan partridge aha

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmongous View Post
Hmm, she was also defending that rapist Polanski a few months ago..
Remember Meryl Streep
Advertisement
11-01-2018, 21:24   #6
fatknacker

Says the society that cultured the likes of Pepe le Pew.
Thanks from:
11-01-2018, 21:38   #7
riffmongous

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan partridge aha View Post
Remember Meryl Streep
What a hypocrite
11-01-2018, 21:38   #8
daithi1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward Volatility Agreement View Post
So long as it's not in the workplace, people should have the right to attempt to seduce. Once rejected however it's time to accept that rejection.
One man's attempted seduction may be someone else's assault..context and circustance is everything..
11-01-2018, 21:54   #9
qwerty ui op

Deneuve has moved to the far right, she made a complete fool of herself lately on french radio.
She wants the right to feel wanted walking down the street but she's not going to be exercising that right in rough areas
Advertisement
11-01-2018, 22:31   #10
Harry Palmr

This is why a bit of me admires the French, when not surrendering to the Germans they have a contrariness which can act as a break on group think. I'd sooner get lamped by a French woman for being "fresh" than listen to a hashtag obsessed Yank lecturing me about how evil I am.
11-01-2018, 22:41   #11
qwerty ui op

This is about as popular in France as Lucinda Creighton was in Ireland
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2018, 22:52   #12
Wombatman

Quote:
“The haste to send the ‘pigs’ to the abattoir, far from liberating women, in reality serves the interests of the enemies of sexual liberty, the religious extremists, the worst reactionaries.”
I find this argument interesting though. Could be on the road back to some kind of "Victorian morality"?
11-01-2018, 23:04   #13
Assetbacked

The citizens of the U.S. are in general stupid and over-simplify complex issues. They also are generally self-centered and vacuous. Over here on this side of the World we are not as simple as they are so where we can dismiss the MeToo publicity stunt for the drivel it is, they do not understand that we, as Europeans, do not reduce everything to black and white.
11-01-2018, 23:10   #14
Irish Guitarist

The thing about that #metoo nonsense is you can't label everything with one hashtag. There were women saying "I was raped #metoo" then some other idiot would say "someone in a car wolf whistled at me and called me babe #metoo". So not you too then as it's a completely different situation.
11-01-2018, 23:25   #15
Realt Dearg Sec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assetbacked View Post
The citizens of the U.S. are in general stupid and over-simplify complex issues. They also are generally self-centered and vacuous. Over here on this side of the World we are not as simple as they are so where we can dismiss the MeToo publicity stunt for the drivel it is, they do not understand that we, as Europeans, do not reduce everything to black and white.
Jesus don't put your shoulder out patting yourself on the back so hard.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion