Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-01-2018, 23:19   #1
ThomasFlynn

Sinn Féin MP makes joke about the murder of 10 people by the IRA at Kingsmill

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...barry-mcelduff

Taking a photo of himself posing with a 'Kingsmill loaf' on his head on the 42nd anniversary of the Kingsmill massacre, notice how he has the '50/50' probable demographic taunt underneath.

Barry McElduff is a pretty strange guy though. I'm a resident in his constituency I recall him ranting once about how local boys in Omagh were choosing to wear 'foreign' Man Utd and Liverpool jersey's and not GAA ones like proper Irish people (allegedly) do.

Guy is a bit of a fruitloop, but that's the Northern Ireland electorate for you continuing to elect DUP/Sinn Fein, over and over and over. Other PR disasters include Jim Allister calling the Irish language a 'leprechaun language' and Gregory 'curry my yogurt' Campbell showing complete disdain and contempt for anything Irish. But if the electorate is more interested in electing in politicians whose only purpose is to 'stick it' to the other side, then this is what you continue to get in a divided society.
Advertisement
06-01-2018, 23:22   #2
Spanish Eyes

Many on all sides are only a kick away from a riot or murder. Suspended animation.

It hasn't gone away you know.
07-01-2018, 00:16   #3
Wheeliebin30

Expect nothing more from sinn fein.
07-01-2018, 00:18   #4
Fr_Dougal

He’s getting panned in social media for it.
07-01-2018, 00:20   #5
splinter65

Too cowardly then to admit that he was being an ignorant cretin, tried to pretend that it was a total coincidence.
Of course he knows his supporters are as inbred and perverted as he is so it makes no difference anyway
Advertisement
07-01-2018, 00:29   #6
Vronsky

Standard form from an NI politician. Do something offensive to the other side (for the benefit of playing up to your own partisan supporters). Then delete, diminish and half hearted apology to take the heat away, news cycle moves on, but your supporters (and everyone else) know your where you really stand.
07-01-2018, 00:30   #7
FTA69

Dunno what to make of this to be honest. I've met Barry loads of times when I was younger and he was well known as a moderate and jovial guy who actually advocated heavily for the need for cross-community engagement and the like. He was never one of these dick-swinging Provo types and if I recall correctly he actually got a hiding off the IRA when he tried to intervene in their interrogation of a suspected informer (half way through the cops arrested everyone involved, total farce.)

Doing this would be completely and totally out of character for him and isn't his style. I'm not saying he didn't have a jibe at it, but I'd find it very sad and surprising to be honest.
07-01-2018, 00:30   #8
Patww79

This post has been deleted.
(2) thanks from:
07-01-2018, 00:34   #9
Wheeliebin30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTA69 View Post
Dunno what to make of this to be honest. I've met Barry loads of times when I was younger and he was well known as a moderate and jovial guy who actually advocated heavily for the need for cross-community engagement and the like. He was never one of these dick-swinging Provo types and if I recall correctly he actually got a hiding off the IRA when he tried to intervene in their interrogation of a suspected informer (half way through the cops arrested everyone involved, total farce.)

Doing this would be completely and totally out of character for him and isn't his style. I'm not saying he didn't have a jibe at it, but I'd find it very sad and surprising to be honest.
Well that didn't take long.

It must have been aliens.
Advertisement
07-01-2018, 00:37   #10
andekwarhola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliebin30 View Post

To be fair I don't know that poster's view on the north, but it didn't instantly read like cheerleading or making excuses to me. More like genuine but qualified reproach.
07-01-2018, 00:38   #11
FTA69

Quote:

Yawn. I knew the man, and gave an honest appraisal of my reading of the situation. The fact is that on this forum people just to love to pile onto anything SF-related without having the first bloody clue about what they're talking about.

And of course anyone who doesn't conform to this automatic foaming at the mouth gets dismissed as some sort of "bot". I'm not a supporter of SF at all (left them at 19) and have criticised them many times on this board in fact.
07-01-2018, 00:39   #12
blanch152

Quote:

Partition made him do it.
(2) thanks from:
07-01-2018, 00:40   #13
Kristopherus

Quote:
And then they wonder why that Foster woman won't suck up to them..
07-01-2018, 00:43   #14
eyerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopherus View Post
Quote:
And then they wonder why that Foster woman won't suck up to them..
She's not any more moderate
07-01-2018, 00:47   #15
suicide_circus

We all make a comedy blunder now and again. The best comedy is always closest to the edge. Im no shinner but it's just cause he's a politico that he's not given a free pass.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion