Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-12-2017, 07:28   #1
Kermit.de.frog

Snow-ice Warning : Wednesday 27 Dec. 2017 21:00 to Fri 29 Dec 10.00

Rain will turn to snow as it moves in to Leinster, Connaught and south Ulster Thursday evening.

1 - 3 cm on low ground before thaw.

Snow turns to rain after midnight and things get a little unpleasant but enjoy it while it lasts
Advertisement
27-12-2017, 07:33   #2
tatranska

I suppose Dublin will just see rain !!
Thanks from:
27-12-2017, 07:36   #3
Kermit.de.frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
I suppose Dublin will just see rain !!
A better than even chance Dublin sees snow. Again, temporary.
(2) thanks from:
27-12-2017, 07:36   #4
pad199207

After the disaster of the last event I’m not holding my breath.

Still would be nice to see some flakes over the holidays
Thanks from:
27-12-2017, 09:10   #5
lazeedaisy

We're heading to the airport at stupid o clock Friday morning, hope it's not going to be showing then!
Advertisement
27-12-2017, 11:46   #6
bnt

Looking at the HIRLAM, I can see why they say "temporary". A bit of snow followed by more rain, so it's just going to get washed away, I think.
27-12-2017, 13:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit.de.frog View Post
A better than even chance Dublin sees snow. Again, temporary.
Depends though on how deep the low cranks
The deeper ,the more mild air rushes in and currently it looks like deepening too much too quickly
27-12-2017, 13:25   #8
Sleety_Rain

The initial front is looking weaker on latest runs and really doesnt look like it will affect Leinster/ Ulster...the second frontal system will be mainly rain possibly preceded by some sleet for 20 mins or so.
27-12-2017, 13:32   #9
nacho libre

Well one positive of this ongoing pattern is as we go on into January is we may well fall on the right side of marginal for these kind of events more often with the cooler seas.
I can't see any sign for a beast from the east any time soon.
With this in mind listening to this radio documentary on the winter of 1947 it seems it was the best and worst of times for people who experienced it.

Last edited by nacho libre; 27-12-2017 at 13:38.
Advertisement
27-12-2017, 13:43   #10
pad199207

Expecting all rain here tomorrow. I wouldn’t say there’s any need for this thread to be honest.
27-12-2017, 13:51   #11

I’ve zero interest in a beast from the east
That’s a London and SE England obsession
It’s as rare as hens teeth anyway
There’s a myth that a beast from the east is good for snow in Ireland ,it is sometimes for battleground events (incoming sliding Atlantic systems like the majestic jan 1982) but again they are very rare
Snow showers from easterlies depend on fetch which is why if cold enough Dublin likes them as from Liverpool bay across is enough fetch

I’m more interested in A beast from the northeast which is not to be ruled out AT ALL at some point in the coming weeks with the current pattern as geography prevails all points bitterly come into play,they’ve a lot more bite than easterlies and usually more disturbed because you can get North Sea disturbances re fired up on hitting the Irish Sea if you follow?

Anyhow I digress
BBC news24 has the snow over inland north west Leinster west & south ulster and ne Connaught before quickly turning back to rain
Rain mostly elsewhere preceded maybe by a little hill snow
27-12-2017, 13:51   #12
pad199207

I don’t know what kind of a warning that is from Met Eireann for tomorrow.
Thanks from:
27-12-2017, 13:59   #13
Sleety_Rain

Met E have issued a warning
Quote:
Snow-ice Warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Kerry, Limerick and Tipperary
For a time on Thursday and Thursday and night, there’ll be patchy accumulations of up to 3 cm of snow, especially on high ground, but small amounts at lower levels also.

Occurring for at time in parts of Munster between 7 am and 4 pm
and for a time in parts of Leinster, Connacht and Ulster from 4 pm onwards.

Rain will soon follow, clearing any snow.
27-12-2017, 14:05   #14
nacho libre

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Sunsnow View Post
I’ve zero interest in a beast from the east
That’s a London and SE England obsession
It’s as rare as hens teeth anyway
There’s a myth that a beast from the east is good for snow in Ireland ,it is sometimes for battleground events (incoming sliding Atlantic systems like the majestic jan 1982) but again they are very rare
Snow showers from easterlies depend on fetch which is why if cold enough Dublin likes them as from Liverpool bay across is enough fetch

I’m more interested in A beast from the northeast which is not to be ruled out AT ALL at some point in the coming weeks with the current pattern as geography prevails all points bitterly come into play,they’ve a lot more bite than easterlies and usually more disturbed because you can get North Sea disturbances re fired up on hitting the Irish Sea if you follow?
It's true a strictly easterly sourced airmass usually tends to mean dry and cold weather for us.
By a beast from the east i was referring to a north easterly airmass, or what we commonly call a beast from the east. I don't see any signs for that over the next few weeks. Although i note M.T. Cranium in his winter forecast cited mid to late January as the best chance for more sustained cold. His winter forecast of cold polar maritime air masses being a dominant theme , with increased chances for snow in the north and northwest, seems to have been a good call so far.
27-12-2017, 14:08   #15
nacho libre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathercheck View Post
Met E have issued a warning
It's annoying that it will turn back to rain, but it would be nice to see a couple of hours of snowfall anyway.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion