Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Wind Warning - Status Yellow

• 09-12-2017 6:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭

Wind warning for counties Clare, Cork, Limerick, Kerry and Waterford. Southeast winds vering Northwest. Valid for Sunday 01.00 - 12.00.

Highlights coastal regions and high ground.

http://m.met.ie/weather-warnings.aspx?t=National

Plus risk of snow extending to Munster on Sunday according to ME

If snow in areas of high ground then blizzard type conditions :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Wind not looking too likely to be a big factor in this weather system, the stronger gusts may catch outer Kerry and south Cork shores briefly around 0300h but generally speaking few people on land will see any wind gusts above 70 km/hr during this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Wind not looking too likely to be a big factor in this weather system, the stronger gusts may catch outer Kerry and south Cork shores briefly around 0300h but generally speaking few people on land will see any wind gusts above 70 km/hr during this event.

Thanks for update. Wind warning still active on ME. I am at 130 ASL in centre of alert area - so will report back on how things pan out....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's a yellow warning, so not even an event in my book! It seems that any chance of snow will correlate with the colder and less strong NE/E winds taking hold, so no chance of a proper blizzard imo.

Still could be quite windy in some areas with snow though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It's a yellow warning, so not even an event in my book! It seems that any chance of snow will correlate with the colder and less strong NE/E winds taking hold, so no chance of a proper blizzard imo.
    Still could be quite windy in some areas with snow though!

Hey good for your book but did you not say that
    "ME are Infact doing a very good job"? No?

At this location and height ASL even level 1 alerts can produce interesting wind conditions. Also looks to be within lower edge of predicted snow zone here . Will update on the situation...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Showing a tight gradient in that second Low early morning producing strong winds on the Kerry/ Clare coast for a time.

tempresult_jsu0.gif

tempresult_mij2.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Met Eireann included an Orange Status Gale Warning. Could be very windy on coasts tomorrow morning.

Kerry almost looks like an Orange warning from about 06.00 to 09.00 at this stage .

Marine Weather Warnings

STATUS ORANGE

Gale Warning
    Gales or strong gales tonight and for a time Sunday morning on Irish coastal waters from Carnsore Point to Mizen Head to Loop Head; southeasterly veering westerly and possibly reaching storm force 10 for a time.

Issued:Saturday 09 December 2017 23:00

tempresult_hbr8.gif

tempresult_iil7.gif

Bar reading 985.7 hPa Falling Rapidly

Looking at the guidance I wonder is the Low deeper then forecast ?

arpegeuk-53-6-0_gtk2.png

I have a sneaky feeling that this could deepen some more and create very strong winds for a time tomorrow morning here in Kerry.

4sl3x50.jpg?1

Very sharp well defined back edge to the front.

UJ8xvVP.gif

2DaJ6Ct.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some severe winds just off the south coast....

Kinsale Energy reporting 53 gust 62 knots at 3am

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

My feeling is that this second low will have only moderate winds in its circulation, the trend has been slowly down for gusts at M6 all night, and the low is shallow. There may also be an unanalyzed intermediate low currently located south of Limerick that will further disrupt any organized wind fields over the south coast. But it would be wise to be on watch for strong gusts just in case.

This second low is on quite an odd track too, heading southeast then south-southeast or almost due south. If you're in the track of it watch for winds to back steadily on the east side of the track to reach NNE 30-50 km/hr by late afternoon. If on the west side of it, expect a slow veer from west to NNW 50-80 km/hr.

• Advertisement

Quite windy here in Kerry during the early hours but not as bad as I had thought it might get.

rafales_uk-04_xyt0.png

Quite windy along the S coast this morning.

rafales_uk-09_rmf4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Apparently the poor weather and the high winds in southern Britain was caused by Storm Ana. This storm was named by the Spanish Weather service and they had status red for much for northern Spain and Portugal.

Advertisement