Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-12-2017, 20:55   #1
tedjennings

Bunratty Chess International Chess Festival

Hi, all

Entries for the Bunratty Chess International Chess Festival are now on-line.
the usual address bunrattychess dot com
Remember that this is our 25th birthday so we have invited all 18 previous winners to join us.
Some have accepted, some not (the dreaded Bundas League) and some pending, full details on the web site.
If you are planning to come and stay at our venue the Bunratty Castle Hotel check out "Hotel" on the menu on our web site to ensure you get a room and at the correct rate.
Looking forward to seeing you all there,
Ted Jenning IA
Advertisement
04-12-2017, 22:42   #2
L1m1tless
Better Than Yesterday

Mod: Chess, ZTest
Whats the cut-off point for "playing up" a section?
04-12-2017, 22:47   #3
tedjennings

Playing "up"

You can play up if you are 50 points below the cut.
But we will be using the Feb'18 rating list to check this.
It is all set out in our T&Cs
Thanks from:
05-12-2017, 15:49   #4
Asdee

I'm looking forward to this one
24-12-2017, 20:11   #5
Bunrattyman

Peter, the Great, is coming back !

Super GM Peter Svidler ( current FIDE rating of 2765 ) is all set to come back to Bunratty in 2018, see the ICU website for more details.

It's the 25th Bunratty and is definitely going to be the strongest ever !
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-01-2018, 14:15   #6
Bunrattyman

Hi All

Hotel is full now but there are alternative accommodation options now listed on the Bunratty Chess Festival website.

Hope to see you all there
09-02-2018, 17:14   #7
tedjennings

Hi, all
Only a week left to avail of the generous discount to enter Bunratty 2018.
Over 220 entered so far so don't miss out
Ted.
19-02-2018, 09:34   #8
sodacat11

When I was a child I went to a famous south Dublin school where rugby was treated like a religion and soccer was (in those days) frowned upon. I was a good rugby player but having one's testicles squashed in a scrum is not my idea of fun so I much preferred soccer . Much to the annoyance of the priests (in some cases sadists) I gave up rugby and joined a soccer club in a rough working class area. At 12 years old they told me that I was a traitor to the school and was throwing away the chance of a privelleged life should I ever make the senior cup team. This point was brought home quite forcefully to me some years later when in the same week that a senior cup star got off scot free for selling dope outside the school gates I got a week's suspension for smoking an ordinary cigarette in the jacks. If you were on the rugby team you were above any law,
Some years later soccer became popular in the school and for the first time we had a school team. I was in 3rd year at the time and matches were organised against 2nd and 4th year. We won one match 4-2 and lost the other 2-4,I scored twice in each. Then we played a friendly against CBC , we won 3-0 and I scored all three. By this stage the priests were getting really annoyed because they did not want me on the school team for the upcoming inter schools cup at any cost after the way I'd refused to play rugby but they also wanted to save face if they didn't select me. A practice match was hastily arranged between the "probables" and the "possibles". I captained the possibles, we won 1-0 and I scored again. This was the final straw as far as the priests were concerned but they still had a master stroke up their sleeves. The rugby season had just ended so they decided in their wisdom to let the boys from the rugby team pick the soccer team (I kid you not) . Naturally they just picked themselves, I didn't get on the team and the school got beaten in the first round of the cup. I never played any sport in the school again after that.
So what has all this got to do with chess?you might ask. Well if there was one lesson I learned in school it was what a horrible thing nepotism is. To my mind a person should reap what they earn in life. Fair play for everyone, a balanced playing field, equal opportunity.
Some months ago I entered the Masters section in Bunratty because both my ratings justified it. Since then I've had a disastrous run of results losing over 100 rating points so I have no problem with being demoted to the Challengers, that's where I now belong and I am very much looking forward to playing in it. What does rankle with me though is this business of lower rated players getting into the Masters under the flag of "Invite". This is just typically Irish. If the rules don't suit then lets find a way around them. This attitude permeates every level of Irish society, particularly politics, and it sickens me. Bunratty has always been the best Irish tournament for adhering to rating floors so this nepotism both surprises and saddens me. There should be the same rules for everyone. NO exceptions.

Last edited by sodacat11; 19-02-2018 at 09:44.
19-02-2018, 09:57   #9
Danville

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodacat11 View Post
Some months ago I entered the Masters section in Bunratty because both my ratings justified it. Since then I've had a disastrous run of results losing over 100 rating points so I have no problem with being demoted to the Challengers, that's where I now belong and I am very much looking forward to playing in it. What does rankle with me though is this business of lower rated players getting into the Masters under the flag of "Invite". This is just typically Irish. If the rules don't suit then lets find a way around them. This attitude permeates every level of Irish society, particularly politics, and it sickens me. Bunratty has always been the best Irish tournament for adhering to rating floors so this nepotism both surprises and saddens me. There should be the same rules for everyone. NO exceptions.
Why not do what you did in school?- don't play. I'm sure the organisers will be devastated to have their entry numbers reduced from 334 last year to 333.

I would also note that some of the invitees do more to advance Irish chess in a week that you've done in your lifetime.

But I'll admit to having a biased view, I myself am one of the invitees!
Advertisement
19-02-2018, 13:19   #10
sodacat11

As I said I am perfectly happy to play in the Challengers as that is where I should be. I have long since been complaining about rating floors being ignored in Irish tournaments simply because it is wrong,dishonest, unjust and unfair and because it undermines the integrity of tournaments. I don't know which of the three "invitees" you are but let's look at the their credentials. I don't mean to belittle what was a fine achievement but one won a "world title" with something like a 1950 RP so it's not like she beat the Polgars or Hou Yifan. Another, who I have the greatest respect for, would freely admit that his best chess was almost half a century ago and the third is someone I've never heard of but would guess is possibly the girlfriend of some higher rated participant. Why should these people get preferential treatment? It's just wrong and will set a precedent for other less prestigious tournaments. We will get a spate of unqualified people getting to play out of their depth under makey up "Invitee" flags. The rules should be the same for everyone, I really don't see how anyone can dispute that!!
19-02-2018, 13:25   #11
sodacat11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danville View Post

I would also note that some of the invitees do more to advance Irish chess in a week that you've done in your lifetime!
A stupid statement. I have coached hundreds of children and still do. I've got Irish chess radio coverage a number of times. I've supported Irish tournaments for over 40 years and have always been one of the most active participants.I got chess officially recognized as a sport in Australia.
Maybe you should do some research before you open your mouth.
19-02-2018, 16:00   #12
Danville

The 50 point leeway whereby you can 'play up' if within 50 points of the tournament cut off point, is being strictly adhered to by Bunratty and Kilkenny.
It has brought stability to an area that was becoming greyer with every event.
It has stopped the pressure from parent coaches and players who believed themselves or their charges to be the next best thing in chess.
Whilst we can strive to run a good or even very good event I think perfection is not achievable.
Invitees are by their nature special cases, and one should accept that event organisers be allowed some leeway in the organisation of their events.
Perhaps with the increase in numbers now participating any new tournaments coming on stream should be given a template by the ICU as to the correct manner in which to run it. Following the implementation of which, the badly run events like Kilkenny can fade out!
19-02-2018, 16:33   #13
sodacat11

Dunno why you think that Kilkenny is a "badly run event" but we are all entitled to our opinion I guess.
As for your "special cases" . What exactly constitutes a "special case" why should an 1800 rated player get into a tournament that won't accept a 1949? What is wrong with strictly adhering to the rating list, no exceptions? The 50 point leeway is a nonsense. Imagine the IOC saying that the qualifying time for the 100 metres is 10 seconds flat,,,,,,,,,,ahh but sure if you can run it in 10.5 or you are a friend of the sponsor or the girlfriend of Usain Bolt we'll let you in.
19-02-2018, 17:09   #14
brilliantboy

I tend to agree with sodacat. I think rating bands should either be strictly adhered to or not adhered to at all. Either trust the rating system (I don't ) or accept it has it's flaws and adopt a more fluid and fair approach to categorizing players.
At the same time I'm not going to let it keep me awake at night. Good for them, hope they enjoy the tournament.
19-02-2018, 17:46   #15
cdeb

Mod: Chess, ZTest
Are any of the invitees the 2017 winners? I think Bunratty had a policy of allowing the prior year winners to play up?

I think the rating bands would be better expressed as 0-1200; 1150-1600; 1550-2000; 1950-2900.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion