Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will Leo be the shortest serving taoiseach in history?

Options
  • 23-11-2017 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

Sinn Fein will be putting forward s motion of no confidence in the justice minister Francis Fitzgerald next week over the email scandal surrounding Sgt Maurice mc cabe. Fianna fail have said they have no confidence in the justice minister and if they vote with Sinn Fein then it will bring down the government and Leo will have the record of the shortest ever period as serving as taoiseach (and the nicest socks) so what do you think? Will Leo sack Francis to save himself?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Yes. Has no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Odhinn

duffysfarm wrote: »
    Sinn Fein will be putting forward s motion of no confidence in the justice minister Francis Fitzgerald next week over the email scandal surrounding Sgt Maurice mc cabe. Fianna fail have said they have no confidence in the justice minister and if they vote with Sinn Fein then it will bring down the government and Leo will have the record of the shortest ever period as serving as taoiseach (and the nicest socks) so what do you think? Will Leo sack Francis to save himself?

As FF have publicaly barked, Frances will now be expected to do the "decent thing" and jump. I doubt anyone fancies an election or going to election footing at this time of year. Can't see leo encouraging her to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Fianna fail will abstain

The motion will fail

Things will never change

,but it would be all sorts of ironic to see a government fall over treatment of Maurice McCabe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

SF are just the noisy kids in the garden while the adults are inside talking.

No one really pays them that much heed and certainly FF aren't going to follow their lead.

Plus FF know they'll suffer the retribution of the electorate if they trigger an election - I sincerely doubt this is a hill they're willing to die on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

If the government is brought down, Leo will still be Taoiseach until a new Dail is elected and a vote for Taoiseach takes place.

My view is that Fine Gael will still be the dominent party after an election, and Leo will be re-elected as Taoiseach.

• Advertisement

Fianna fail will abstain

The motion will fail

Things will never change

,but it would be all sorts of ironic to see a government fall over treatment of Maurice McCabe
    Jawgap wrote: »

No one really pays them that much heed and certainly FF aren't going to follow their lead.

Plus FF know they'll suffer the retribution of the electorate if they trigger an election - I sincerely doubt this is a hill they're willing to die on.

Ahem......
    Fianna Fáil's justice spokesperson has said his party can no longer express confidence in Tánaiste Frances Fitzgerald and she "should go".

Speaking on RTÉ's Six One News, Jim O'Callaghan said the events of the last week undermined the Confidence and Supply Agreement between Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil.

He said Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin had spoken yesterday by telephone with Taoiseach Leo Varadker to express this view.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2017/1123/922187-fitzgerald-politics/

Rather than go to an election, they're barking in public to give her the chance to go before the vote as the SF motion has forced their hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

FF will abstain and bide their time on this.

They are not strong enough yet, electorally, to pursue it and go to an election footing with the possibility of being the largest party.

Anyway, Garda corruption predates this Fine Gael government.

The Guards are rotten to the core and need to be disbanded and a new Policing organisation started with leadership from outside the state in its Upper Echelons.

Along with a Foreign managed Internal Affairs department as well.

No......he's actually quite tall

DIz-m_VXYAACXBG.jpg

Odhinn wrote: »
    Ahem......

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2017/1123/922187-fitzgerald-politics/

Rather than go to an election, they're barking in public to give her the chance to go before the vote as the SF motion has forced their hand.

Grand so, I expect they'll vote with the Shinners on their motion then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Maybe Fitzgerald will do the right thing and resign, I know only joking Leo unless he fancies canvassing in the cold will have to sack her.

• Advertisement

Grand so, I expect they'll vote with the Shinners on their motion then ;)

Course not. Yer woman will be gone so they can hardly hold a vote on her. It's a vote of confidence in Francis herself, not the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Fianna fail will abstain

The motion will fail

Things will never change

Its in FFs interest to vote no confidence in Fitzgerald and effectively call an election;
    FG making a mess
    Adams not gone away
    Left abysmally poor in polls
    Indos a shambles

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Maybe Fitzgerald will do the right thing and resign, I know only joking Leo unless he fancies canvassing in the cold will have to sack her.

If she doesn't, she won't be running out of selotape putting up the christmas cards.

Allinall wrote:
    My view is that Fine Gael will still be the dominent party after an election, and Leo will be re-elected as Taoiseach.

Just to be safe though don't put any money on that happening. FF won't support another FG minority government after the next GE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Its in FFs interest to vote no confidence in Fitzgerald and effectively call an election;
    FG making a mess
    Adams not gone away
    Indos a shambles

I would fancy varadkar to wipe the floor with Martin in an election debate tbh

FF are woeful unprepared for an snap election,from outside looking in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

How dare dem lil upstarts demand that a woman who is accountable for a massive f*ckup be held accountable for her actions.
    The very notion of accountability in the oireachtas, madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

FG making a mess
    Adams not gone away
    Indos a shambles

It is most definitely not in FFs interest to have an election now. Their support would leave them without anything near a majority and we'd be right back where we are at present. Indeed, some polls put FG slightly better off than after the last election.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Poor old Leo might not even get to meet Trump

Course not. Yer woman will be gone so they can hardly hold a vote on her. It's a vote of confidence in Francis herself, not the government.

Well there you then.......in answer to the question posed by the OP, the answer is 'no' - either she goes of her own volition and Leo persists or she doesn't and he sacks her (and he stays on), or they stand by her and play chicken with FF......

.......and given FF's history I'd not be banking on their support if the vote rolls around - if a week is a long time in politics, six days is an eternity in FF-land :)

....and even if he goes, he's still odds on (at 5/6) to be Taoiseach after the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

I would personally vote Leo for Taoiseach again & again I think he is doing great work.

• Advertisement

Well there you then.......in answer to the question posed by the OP, the answer is 'no' - either she goes of her own volition and Leo persists or she doesn't and he sacks her (and he stays on), or they stand by her and play chicken with FF......

.......and given FF's history I'd not be banking on their support if the vote rolls around - if a week is a long time in politics, six days is an eternity in FF-land :)

....and even if he goes, he's still odds on (at 5/6) to be Taoiseach after the next election.

This is true. Yet after the crash, who would have thought FF would be back as the 2nd largest party? With a man who was part of that eras cabinet as leader. We're a perverse lot.

This is true. Yet after the crash, who would have thought FF would be back as the 2nd largest party? With a man who was part of that eras cabinet as leader. We're a perverse lot.

I quite agree.

We've forgiven FF for totally trashing the economy - and we see zero irony in SF expressing support for the Guards while also having a leading member who has been closely associated with the killers of a Guard!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Just to be safe though don't put any money on that happening. FF won't support another FG minority government after the next GE.

They'll coalesce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Allinall wrote:
    They'll coalesce.

They should but won't. Too many egos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I think Leo is doing a grand job..

But Fitzgerald needs to resign though.
    Its time she took responsibility for her failings.

jacksie66 wrote:
    I think Leo is doing a grand job..

Really? So what has he done, serious question.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The justice minister of all people actively knew, yet did shag all about a smear campaign, involving the most disgusting and vile accusations anyone could be accused of - about a whistleblower that she publicly was showing support for, along with the person trying to smear him (Noirin Sullivan)

FF apparently are set to refuse to back Fitzgerald on this one. You seem to be unaware of this.

That makes your above remarks about the kids and the adults all the more ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That's delusional and long dated thinking

• Advertisement

Edward M wrote: »
    But Fitzgerald needs to resign though.
    Its time she took responsibility for her failings.

True, though doubtless she thinks, as many do, that perhaps a lot more senior gardai should do something similar.

Advertisement