Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-11-2017, 22:03   #1
BottleOfSmoke

"A noted Gael"

My relative died in 1955. I see the phrase "a noted Gael" in the local newspaper write-up on him. The write-up is headed "Gael's Death". Could someone help me understand what that means?
He was a longstanding member of the local GAA club, on the committee etc. Is it related to that?
I see the phrase turn up in a Google search in other old obits and elsewhere, but I don't quite understand the significance.
Advertisement
09-11-2017, 22:49   #2
L1011

In 1955, GAA almost certainly. Earlier on it would usually have meant Gaelic League.
Thanks from:
01-01-2018, 16:46   #3
LoughNeagh2017

It would have referred to the GAA but I think the GAA have hijacked the term, sure the Gaels of Ireland wouldn't even have played Gaelic football, maybe some form of ball game but nothing like Gaelic football is now. Joe Brolly is the one who always uses the term.
Thanks from:
04-01-2018, 16:04   #4
mickmackey1

Would be associated with the GAA alright, but would also indicate attachment to Irish culture generally, in particular promotion of the Irish language. And including native literature, music and customs.
Thanks from:
04-01-2018, 21:50   #5
tabbey

A Gael is any Irishman/woman, but the likes of the GAA would have not used the label for anybody who did not meet the nationalist gaelic criteria, especially pre-1971.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion