Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"A noted Gael"

• 09-11-2017 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

My relative died in 1955. I see the phrase "a noted Gael" in the local newspaper write-up on him. The write-up is headed "Gael's Death". Could someone help me understand what that means?
    He was a longstanding member of the local GAA club, on the committee etc. Is it related to that?
    I see the phrase turn up in a Google search in other old obits and elsewhere, but I don't quite understand the significance.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In 1955, GAA almost certainly. Earlier on it would usually have meant Gaelic League.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

It would have referred to the GAA but I think the GAA have hijacked the term, sure the Gaels of Ireland wouldn't even have played Gaelic football, maybe some form of ball game but nothing like Gaelic football is now. Joe Brolly is the one who always uses the term.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Would be associated with the GAA alright, but would also indicate attachment to Irish culture generally, in particular promotion of the Irish language. And including native literature, music and customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

A Gael is any Irishman/woman, but the likes of the GAA would have not used the label for anybody who did not meet the nationalist gaelic criteria, especially pre-1971.

Advertisement