Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
28-10-2017, 15:36   #1
o1s1n
Registered User
 
o1s1n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: D1
Posts: 27,762
LMD Sync ideas?

Thought I'd split this out of the other thread!

So I got a new BNC cable in the post yesterday and it works, we have RGB on the PVM now so cable is all good.

As The Last Bandit rightly pointed out, the PS2 syncs over green with DVDs. I played a DVD and a nice solid picture magically appeared on the LMD over RGB. (with a tint of green! - changed the input channel option from RGB to component and the colours improved a bit)

So now, the big question, would it be possible to do a bit of cable editing and send regular sync through the green in line for other consoles?

Or is it doomed to only sync with items that already sync on green?
o1s1n is offline  
Advertisement
28-10-2017, 18:15   #2
sugarman
Registered User
 
sugarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 7,024
Dont quote me on it, but I think theres converters designed for doing this.
sugarman is offline  
29-10-2017, 11:26   #3
KeRbDoG
Registered User
 
KeRbDoG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,999
Was the piece on http://retrorgb.com/extronrxi.html *might* be of use - seems the Extron RGB 201/203 Rxi could work? ...or does it do the sync change the other way? Confusing
KeRbDoG is offline  
Thanks from:
29-10-2017, 19:14   #4
o1s1n
Registered User
 
o1s1n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: D1
Posts: 27,762
PS2 success!

Completely forgot you can change the PS2 to output component rather than RGB in the menu. Switched it over and got a picture on the component/RGB line - green was really feint though.

Removed the composite sync cable from the monitor and low and behold, the component signal came across in full colour. Looks gorgeous!
o1s1n is offline  
(3) thanks from:
30-10-2017, 12:35   #5
o1s1n
Registered User
 
o1s1n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: D1
Posts: 27,762
As a self confessed CRT purist wanker (!) I have to say, the component image on this from a PS2 is really, really nice.

The colours pop and are super bright. Everything is really sharp. Viewing angle is crazy wide too.





Best thing about it so far is the response time. Specs say it's 2ms, and I well believe it. Cannot notice any lag at all.

I'd say the Dreamcast would look gorgeous on it if I could find some sort of VGA to component adapter. Rather annoyingly, the 2020 model, as well as having RGB sync, also has a VGA input too!
o1s1n is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-10-2017, 13:06   #6
o1s1n
Registered User
 
o1s1n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: D1
Posts: 27,762
Obligatory vertical shot

o1s1n is offline  
(4) thanks from:
30-10-2017, 18:21   #7
KeRbDoG
Registered User
 
KeRbDoG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1s1n View Post
I'd say the Dreamcast would look gorgeous on it if I could find some sort of VGA to component adapter. Rather annoyingly, the 2020 model, as well as having RGB sync, also has a VGA input too!
I don't think the 2020 model has VGA, it has an 'Option' input whatever that is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg manual.jpg (228.1 KB, 7 views)
KeRbDoG is offline  
30-10-2017, 19:43   #8
o1s1n
Registered User
 
o1s1n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: D1
Posts: 27,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeRbDoG View Post
I don't think the 2020 model has VGA, it has an 'Option' input whatever that is
Ah I'd say 'option' is a VGA port alright, it's a D-SUB 9 connection that carries SDI video and the monitor's native resolution is 640 X 480.
o1s1n is offline  
31-10-2017, 08:41   #9
The Last Bandit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,090
Silly Sony and their RGB SOG fetish... well them and SGI/SUN..

Its not too difficult to built a converter for this I think. Basically you need to clean the CSYNC coming out of the consoles and then inject the cleaned CSYNC into the Green video signal.

Well the theory is simple anyway

What input and output connectors would this converter need ? SCART female to BNC ?
The Last Bandit is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-10-2017, 09:29   #10
o1s1n
Registered User
 
o1s1n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: D1
Posts: 27,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Bandit View Post
Silly Sony and their RGB SOG fetish... well them and SGI/SUN..

Its not too difficult to built a converter for this I think. Basically you need to clean the CSYNC coming out of the consoles and then inject the cleaned CSYNC into the Green video signal.

Well the theory is simple anyway

What input and output connectors would this converter need ? SCART female to BNC ?
Scart female to BNC would do it alright. Basically one of those scart to BNC breakout cables you get to run your consoles on a PVM - just with a converter in the middle somewhere to add sync on green
o1s1n is offline  
31-10-2017, 10:23   #11
The Last Bandit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,090
This cable could be modified to work I reckon.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/...y-pvm-monitors
The Last Bandit is offline  
31-10-2017, 10:27   #12
o1s1n
Registered User
 
o1s1n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: D1
Posts: 27,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Bandit View Post
This cable could be modified to work I reckon.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/...y-pvm-monitors
Is there much work in adding the converter? I actually have one of those cables that's currently broken (few of the cables need to be resoldered at the scart end)
o1s1n is offline  
31-10-2017, 10:42   #13
The Last Bandit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,090
The sync splitter/cleaner is the most complicated part so if thats already in there is a matter of adding a few resistors and caps.
You can send me the cable to hack on if you want.
The Last Bandit is offline  
Thanks from:
31-10-2017, 10:53   #14
o1s1n
Registered User
 
o1s1n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: D1
Posts: 27,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Bandit View Post
The sync splitter/cleaner is the most complicated part so if thats already in there is a matter of adding a few resistors and caps.
You can send me the cable to hack on if you want.
You're a gent! Will get that posted out to you.

Kerbdog - funny enough that's the cable that came with the PVM I bought from you aeons ago
o1s1n is offline  
31-10-2017, 11:56   #15
KeRbDoG
Registered User
 
KeRbDoG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1s1n View Post
You're a gent! Will get that posted out to you.

Kerbdog - funny enough that's the cable that came with the PVM I bought from you aeons ago
Oh, it worked fine when you got it from right? Don't think I had any issues with it
KeRbDoG is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet