Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
25-10-2017, 00:23   #1
Irelandman1998
Registered User
 
Irelandman1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 14
Grad med decision advice .

Hi all, I am currently in 1st year student in college . My coarse is 3 years long and I am thinking of taking the GAMSAT next year . I am in bit of a predicament at the moment . I love being in Ireland and being able to meet up with friends and family but at the same time studying a few hours away from home . I was accepted to study medicine abroad . However, I deferred my place there as when I went over I was extremely homesick and found it extremely difficult to adjust and it really tarnished my interest in the field . Regardless, I know now I still want to do it . I am thinking of sticking my degree out and doing the GAMSAT . I suprisngly have met a few others in a similar situation . I didn't do the best leaving cert so I can't fathom the thought of going back and realistically getting it first go. My degree at the moment is easy going and allows me to enjoy socialising . However, I think of medicine everyday . Any tips ?, thanks .
Irelandman1998 is offline  
Advertisement
25-10-2017, 00:33   #2
spurious
Category Moderator
 
spurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: North Strand, Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 21,464
You have a deferred place abroad?
Bird in the hand and all that. There's no guarantee you'll get in through GAMSAT, but you have a place already elsewhere.

How long were you away that you got homesick? Do you think it would be any better if you tried again?
spurious is offline  
25-10-2017, 09:49   #3
Irelandman1998
Registered User
 
Irelandman1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
You have a deferred place abroad?
Bird in the hand and all that. There's no guarantee you'll get in through GAMSAT, but you have a place already elsewhere.

How long were you away that you got homesick? Do you think it would be any better if you tried again?
. I was there for a few weeks, but I left before I had to pay the huge fees as I wasn't completely sure, and ultimately my parents were going to bear the burden . Your right , I think it's the fact I had no real experience being away from home and stuff .
Irelandman1998 is offline  
25-10-2017, 09:50   #4
Irelandman1998
Registered User
 
Irelandman1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelandman1998 View Post
. I was there for a few weeks, but I left before I had to pay the huge fees as I wasn't completely sure, and ultimately my parents were going to bear the burden . Your right , I think it's the fact I had no real experience being away from home and stuff .
I probably should get experience being away from home or something
Irelandman1998 is offline  
27-10-2017, 10:49   #5
Celestial12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 340
If you're not going to be happy studying abroad, then I don't think there's anything wrong with what you're doing. Just make sure you keep on top of your studies here, get your 2.1 and GAMSAT score, and you're good to go.

What year are you in now? With a 3 year degree and four year gradmed, you'll still be really young. I think the undergrad medicine course in UCD is 6 years anyway, so you'll be much the same as them in terms of time. Best of luck with everything!
Celestial12 is offline  
Advertisement
27-10-2017, 19:31   #6
Irelandman1998
Registered User
 
Irelandman1998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial12 View Post
If you're not going to be happy studying abroad, then I don't think there's anything wrong with what you're doing. Just make sure you keep on top of your studies here, get your 2.1 and GAMSAT score, and you're good to go.

What year are you in now? With a 3 year degree and four year gradmed, you'll still be really young. I think the undergrad medicine course in UCD is 6 years anyway, so you'll be much the same as them in terms of time. Best of luck with everything!
I'm in first year currently , thanks a million ya I couldn't agree more with you !😊ðŸ‘, thanks for help
Irelandman1998 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet