Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Heavy Rain - Munster & Leinster - Thu 19 October

• 18-10-2017 1:05pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

As if we don't have enough threads going....here's another one!

Met Eireann have issued a yellow warning for heavy rainfall Warning for Munster, Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow and Meath.

Heavy rain is expected with accumulations between 30 and 50 mm possible tomorrow, Thursday.

Note that this is separate to potential wet and windy weather forecast for Friday/Saturday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

ARPEGE accumulations till Friday:

arpegeuk-25-38-0.png?18-13

WRF:

tempresult_nqs9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭pad199207

DOCARCH wrote: »
    As if we don't have enough threads going....here's another one!

Met Eireann have issued a yellow warning for heavy rainfall Warning for Munster, Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow and Meath.

Heavy rain is expected with accumulations between 30 and 50 mm possible tomorrow, Thursday.

Note that this is separate to potential wet and windy weather forecast for Friday/Saturday.

Potential for it to be upgraded to Orange Level according to Joanna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

MJohnston wrote: »
    ARPEGE accumulations till Friday:

arpegeuk-25-38-0.png?18-13

I don't see why there is a warning for Dublin on that, I presume other forecasts are showing it differently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

My concern at the moment is localised flooding. There is still a lot of debris left over from Monday.

Street drainage will be put to the test in urban areas. I’m sure rural areas will struggle with blocked culverts.

• Advertisement

sword1 wrote: »
    I don't see why there is a warning for Dublin on that, I presume other forecasts are showing it differently

The warning level for yellow in regard to rain is 20mm in 6 hours, or 25mm in 12 hours. But there were a few other models showing heavier totals, ICON I think.

MJohnston wrote: »
    The warning level for yellow in regard to rain is 20mm in 6 hours, or 25mm in 12 hours. But there were a few other models showing heavier totals, ICON I think.

Also, there will be heavy rain over the Dublin mountains, and I guess that would be enough to trigger a warning for the whole “county”

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A shortwave trough over Ireland tomorrow introducing cold upper temperatures. Met Eireann mentioning the possibility of thundery rain.

The HIRLAM showing high accumulations in the SE, E

YgndAHw.png?1

36kYzE8.png?1

nmm_uk1-25-34-4_bjl0.png

hirlamuk-25-34-0_fdg2.png

vZlOMOU.png?1

Slow to leave the E coast.

tempresult_kxs4.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Most recent Hi Res accumulation predictions for tomorrow

nmm_uk1-25-28-4_opi8.png

hirlamuk-25-29-0_ofd0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Thunderstorm rain in the Shannon and Cork Airport forecasts from morning to early afternoon. Albeit at a 30% prob.

• Advertisement

Heavy rain arriving now in from the Kerry coast.

Don’t make unnecessary journeys

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Darwin

I don't understand why Laois is left out of the yellow warning counties - yr.no is showing over 40mm for my location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Steady, light rain in Gslway city with 7.2mm recorded so far

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭donal.hunt

Has been raining in Blarney, Co. Cork since the early hours. Persistent, heavy at times. Local roads are doing ok but drainage is a concern in places.

Reports that there is flooding in Blackpool, Co. Cork (suspect it's just surface water rather than one of the rivers busting the banks). Water gauge confirms that.

16mm here near Tralee since midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Darwin wrote: »
    I don't understand why Laois is left out of the yellow warning counties - yr.no is showing over 40mm for my location.

Just 3.1mm (AWS gauge - which can sometimes over-record a little) in South Laois as of 11am - it's been raining since around 7am.

Unless we see a few downpours gather and move in over us, we'll probably escape with around 10mm -> 15mm

• Registered Users Posts: 48,124 ✭✭✭✭km79

Darwin wrote: »

Yr.no has been absolutely appalling this week
    Usually use it as a guide for windspeed and rainfall and compare it to other locations around the country and maps then
    According to them there was no storm anywhere in Ireland Monday

Not a drop of rain here yet and im in the yellow warning

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Moderate rain here in Waterford City, 5.1mm since Midnight, Max Gust 63km/h

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Kamili

pad199207 wrote: »
    Not a drop of rain here yet and im in the yellow warning

same boat here - South Dublin
    (sorry)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

light rain/drizzle here all morning but nothing that wets the ground properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Darwin

km79 wrote: »
    Yr.no has been absolutely appalling this week
    Usually use it as a guide for windspeed and rainfall and compare it to other locations around the country and maps then
    According to them there was no storm anywhere in Ireland Monday

Same here, I have found it particularly accurate in the past and indeed for my location on Monday, it was more or less on the money in terms of wind/rain. However, the readings for Cork airport were completely underestimated while they had Waterford airport at 23 m/s during the peak of the storm on Monday which sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Same for Cork City, practically swam to work

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

12.95 mm in last 24 hrs - localised flooding already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

That heavy rain forecast is doing a good job of avoiding the Dublin area so far. Nothing here yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Frances Loose Mitt

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    That heavy rain forecast is doing a good job of avoiding the Dublin area so far. Nothing here yet.

Long may it continue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mobhi1 wrote: »

431031.PNG

Yep, Dublin staying mainly dry so far.
    Still raining steadily here in Galway city with 9.6mm recorded since midnight

• Advertisement

Typical southerly rain event for Dublin so far - the mountains have taken most of it.

Advertisement