Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Administrative Officer 2017 Campaign

Options
  • 22-09-2017 7:17am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New 2017 Campaign Announced this morning
    Advertisement here

Closing date for applications is the 19th of October.

Best of good luck everyone!

Edit: Familiarisation / information booklet attached

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Just to add there is also a seperate campaign at AO level for Graduate Economists/EValuators launched today

https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/61531.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bronzesheep

Anyone know the full scale for this grade?

It has a starting salary listed as €31,221, but I can't spot the full scale in the information booklet.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Sparks15

Anyone know the full scale for this grade?

It has a starting salary listed as €31,221, but I can't spot the full scale in the information booklet.

The Personal Pension Contribution (PPC) salary rate for the position of an Administrative Officer is as follows (1st April 2017)

€31,221​
    €33,575​
    €34,247​
    €37,194​
    €40,967​
    €43,838
    €46711
    €49,593​
    €52,466​
    €55,329(NMAX)​
    €57,314(LSI1)
    €59,294(LSI2)​

Long Service Increment (LSI1) = may be payable following 3 years satisfactory service at the maximum

Long Service Increment (LSI2) = may be payable following 6 years satisfactory service at the maximum

https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/publication/document/17170309_AO_Principal_Conditions_2017.doc

• Registered Users Posts: 21 galgal07

I am wondering if it's worth applying if you're not interested in a position in Dublin? The info booklet states "It is envisaged that these graduate opportunities will arise across a range of Departments with the majority of these vacancies based in Dublin, however, regional positions may arise from time to time."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

galgal07 wrote: »
    I am wondering if it's worth applying if you're not interested in a position in Dublin? The info booklet states "It is envisaged that these graduate opportunities will arise across a range of Departments with the majority of these vacancies based in Dublin, however, regional positions may arise from time to time."

To the best of my knowledge- there are current vacancies across most of the Departments taking part in the competition- however the list of regional locations is rather spartan. Aka- Revenue and Foreign Affairs probably have a few Limerick and Cork posts, Agriculture- Portlaoise, DSP- Carrick-on-Shannon- and that might be about it. AO is predominantly Dublin based- and tends to be treated differently than the other general service grades. You 'might' get a regional offer- but its a bit of a long shot- and it would be unfair to assume even if you got placed on a panel- that there would be a regional post to be filled.

Some people from the last panel were accommodated- by being back-filled into defacto HEO posts- more as staff managers- than traditional HEO posts- however, that doesn't appear to have gone particularly well (several AOs quit in quick succession- as the post didn't live up to what they expected).

Impossible to tell really- but if you're not willing to countenance a Dublin post- its a bit of a long shot.

Note- even at lower grades you can have to travel to Dublin and/or other locations for specific aspects of your work. Just because you're based in Clonakilty (and yes- there is a fairly large government office in Clon)- doesn't mean you won't have to drive elsewhere as required (you'll get mileage and subsistence etc- but its not something you'll get rich on.......)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bodun

Sparks15 wrote: »
    The Personal Pension Contribution (PPC) salary rate for the position of an Administrative Officer is as follows (1st April 2017)

€31,221​
    €33,575​
    €34,247​
    €37,194​
    €40,967​
    €43,838
    €46711
    €49,593​
    €52,466​
    €55,329(NMAX)​
    €57,314(LSI1)
    €59,294(LSI2)​

Long Service Increment (LSI1) = may be payable following 3 years satisfactory service at the maximum

Long Service Increment (LSI2) = may be payable following 6 years satisfactory service at the maximum

https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/publication/document/17170309_AO_Principal_Conditions_2017.doc

I am currently in the Public service and in the middle of the scale above. If I was successful here would I stay on my current salary or would I have to start at the bottom?

The explanation is a bit vague saying different terms may apply if you are already a public servant.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭SJ.

bodun wrote: »
    I am currently in the Public service and in the middle of the scale above. If I was successful here would I stay on my current salary or would I have to start at the bottom?

The explanation is a bit vague saying different terms may apply if you are already a public servant.

Public service? or civil service?

SJ. wrote: »
    Public service? or civil service?

I'm currently in the Public service.

bodun wrote: »
    I'm currently in the Public service.

Depending on the nature of the post you're currently in- and whether, or not, it has parity or relativity to a civil service grade- you are entitled to 1), 2) or 3)(depending on the post).

1. Consideration as a new entrant at the bottom of the salary scale, but pre-existing public sector pension contributions transferred to your new employer under the public sector transfer network.

2. A maximum of 2 increments on the stated salary scale and transfer of accrued pension entitlements

3. Start point on the AO PPC scale at the point closest to your current salary- without any loss in pay for you (this can mean a small payrise- typically of around 400-500 Euro per annum).

It depends on the post- and you would be advised to seek clarification from PAS on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HairyCabbage

I have just graduated with a degree in applied maths, do I have a hope with this?

• Advertisement

I have just graduated with a degree in applied maths, do I have a hope with this?

why wouldn't you?

once you have a first or second honours degree you can apply

Riskymove wrote: »
    why wouldn't you?

That's a first or a second class honour on a Level 8 Honours Degree (i.e. if you have a first or second class honour in a level 7 degree- it doesn't count).

Further information on what constitutes a level 8 qualification here: http://www.nfq-qqi.com/

Depending on the nature of the post you're currently in- and whether, or not, it has parity or relativity to a civil service grade- you are entitled to 1), 2) or 3)(depending on the post).

1. Consideration as a new entrant at the bottom of the salary scale, but pre-existing public sector pension contributions transferred to your new employer under the public sector transfer network.

2. A maximum of 2 increments on the stated salary scale and transfer of accrued pension entitlements

3. Start point on the AO PPC scale at the point closest to your current salary- without any loss in pay for you (this can mean a small payrise- typically of around 400-500 Euro per annum).

It depends on the post- and you would be advised to seek clarification from PAS on this.

Ok thanks. I'm in a clerical officer role under the HSE so I presume it would be similar to the CS. I'll check with PAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭eefslol

I got through the campaign last year (due to be placed this month) and I had just graduated and had never worked before. Go for it! Especially with something like maths.

why wouldn't you?

I do but it's a 2:2 which tends to rule me out of most graduate jobs, also I don't have any real leadership/people management experience which seems to be a large component of the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 wos

I do but it's a 2:2 which tends to rule me out of most graduate jobs, also I don't have any real leadership/people management experience which seems to be a large component of the job!

That is a Second Class Honours (Level 8) degree!

wos wrote: »
    That is a Second Class Honours (Level 8) degree!

Not necessarily.
    Applied Maths in UCC or UCD is a 3 year BA degree- i.e. a Level 7 qualification.
    UCD do a 4 year BSc in Applied and Computational Maths- which is a 4 year, Level 8 qualification. UCD also have a 5 year Applied Mathematics & Mathematics Education BSc./MSc. - which is a level 9...........

In short- if its a 3 year degree- its a level 7 qualification- if its a 4 year, its a level 8. Just because its Applied Maths- and the poster has a 2:2- does not automatically mean they qualify for the competition.......... They need to satisfy themselves that they meet the requirements of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bronzesheep

In short- if its a 3 year degree- its a level 7 qualification- if its a 4 year, its a level 8. Just because its Applied Maths- and the poster has a 2:2- does not automatically mean they qualify for the competition.......... They need to satisfy themselves that they meet the requirements of the competition.

Are you talking about Applied Maths here specifically, or degrees in general? Just in case, Honours degrees can also be 3 years in duration, it depends on the degree.

From the NFQ website http://www.nfq-qqi.com/index.html

'Honours Bachelor Degree (NFQ Level 8)
    Class of award-type: Major
    Volume: Large
    The Honours Bachelor Degree is normally awarded following completion of a programme of three to four years duration (180-240 ECTS credits), although there are examples of longer programmes in areas such as architecture, dentistry and medicine.'

• Registered Users Posts: 22 wos

Not necessarily.
    Applied Maths in UCC or UCD is a 3 year BA degree- i.e. a Level 7 qualification.

I assumed they read your previous post about Level 8 and were still querying the 2.2 part!
    It amazes me just how many people on these forums (for civil service competitions) seem so unsure if they meet the requirements of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭SJ.

In short- if its a 3 year degree- its a level 7 qualification- if its a 4 year, its a level 8

That's complete nonsense. An Arts degree from UCD or other NUI colleges is a 3 year level 8 degree.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Assuming you can get through the aptitude tests, it really depends on the competency-based interview. This requires citing examples from your past experience, be this in college or work. Neither is necessarily favoured over the other, as far as I understand it; you just need to be able to respond to the questions they ask with specific reference to the skills you have developed. I went in from an advanced postgraduate background and this lent itself well to the format, I found.

wos wrote: »
    I assumed they read your previous post about Level 8 and were still querying the 2.2 part!
    It amazes me just how many people on these forums (for civil service competitions) seem so unsure if they meet the requirements of the competition.

My question was less about whether or not I met the requirements and more asking if I had a hope of being placed high enough on the panel to actually get a job!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Out of interest,

o If the closing date is October and the interviews are November/December, when are the first offers likely to be made? Is it a protracted process?

o How many jobs are on offer? Is it a case of a handful, dozens or hundreds?

I have never applied to the Public Sector before

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BobCat123

If all goes to plan, I assume offers will be made come late January/early February. Panels are formed so there's no indication how many positions are available however they are moving quickly through last years AO panel so there seems to be a lot of positions in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

BobCat123 wrote: »
    If all goes to plan, I assume offers will be made come late January/early February. Panels are formed so there's no indication how many positions are available however they are moving quickly through last years AO panel so there seems to be a lot of positions in Dublin.

Thanks BobCat123,

When you attend interviews in the Civil Service, do you learn in advance which department you will be interviewing for? Or is it a generic interview with generic questions?

I'm curious to understand how a candidate might express his/her preferences and how the interviewers tease this out.

For example, the candidate might have a real love of Foreign Affairs and Politics, but zero interest in Finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 donkey_kong

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Thanks BobCat123,

When you attend interviews in the Civil Service, do you learn in advance which department you will be interviewing for? Or is it a generic interview with generic questions?

I'm curious to understand how a candidate might express his/her preferences and how the interviewers tease this out.

For example, the candidate might have a real love of Foreign Affairs and Politics, but zero interest in Finance.

In previous years the interview has been more generic and competency based, and the interview has absolutely no bearing on which department you get assigned to.

Successful candidates are put onto a panel ranked on orderof merit, and when departments come looking for staff they get whoever is next up on the panel. So one of the competencies they're looking for is an ability to get upto speed on a policy areas where you've no previous experience. If the department you then get assigned to has a number of vacancies it's possible that the department may try and match you with whatever is most suitable for your own background,at least initially, but there's no guarantee.

As for time scale, if this year's competition is anything to go by, the first appointments will be early in the new year but the panel is likely to last through most of 2018. So if you make the panel but are outside the top 100 or so you might expect to be waiting months rather than weeks before you're called. Vetting and reference checking will only take place after your place on the panel is reached so that could add another couple of weeks onto the timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RBassett

If you're in the top 10-20, there's a good chance you'll be assigned to one of the central Departments: Taoiseach's, PER or Finance. I wasn't aware that D/FAT had AOs (other than the AO-equivalent 3rd Secs)?

In my experience, AOs are sent were there is most demand, both across the civil service and then in Departments. Preferences for a particular business unit are rarely considered.

My question was less about whether or not I met the requirements and more asking if I had a hope of being placed high enough on the panel to actually get a job!

your degree will have no bearing on you getting on the panel or how high you might get

your degree will have no bearing on you getting on the panel or how high you might get

Ok, so is it just performance in the aptitude tests combined with performance in interview? If you were able to answer the competency related questions well would a lack of experience matter?

• Advertisement

Ok, so is it just performance in the aptitude tests combined with performance in interview?

the aptitude tests don't count for the panel either. They only determine if you get called to interview

The final panel is based on interview (and anyother exercise they might use, if any - presentation etc)
    If you were able to answer the competency related questions well would a lack of experience matter?

AO is a graduate recruitment excersie - work experience isn't necessarily a requirement

You should research a bit about leadership though - anyone can lead as such in different scenarios (projects, voluntary work, sports etc)

Advertisement