Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-09-2017, 13:55   #1
mattthetrasher

crossing livestock on a regional road

hi folks i have priced a cattle underpass to cross the cows 60,0000 euro so i wrote to santa and three years later still no underpass help is getting scarcer can i close the road with gates with a stop sign and reflector tape on the bars and then go in to passsage to shove the cows on
Advertisement
13-09-2017, 14:27   #2
Floki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthetrasher View Post
hi folks i have priced a cattle underpass to cross the cows 60,0000 euro so i wrote to santa and three years later still no underpass help is getting scarcer can i close the road with gates with a stop sign and reflector tape on the bars and then go in to passsage to shove the cows on
Ask the local council engineer but in my own opinion I very much doubt it.

Edit: actually the way this country works.
Talk to your councillor or Td first.

Last edited by Floki; 13-09-2017 at 14:31.
Thanks from:
13-09-2017, 15:41   #3
Buford T. Justice V

Quote:
There's talk of underpasses being included in TAMS in the near future so I would be inclined to wait for some news on that front.

I stand to be corrected but I don't think it is allowed to open gates across any road even with reflectors and stop signs on it. I imagine you would be liable for any damage caused to cars damaged by hitting the gate or swerving to avoid it.
(2) thanks from:
13-09-2017, 18:01   #4
mattthetrasher

If an underpass becomes eligible under tams will it have any cost advantage by the time all the extra t andcs are met and of course the builders will hike their bill too
(2) thanks from:
13-09-2017, 18:07   #5
lakill Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floki View Post
Ask the local council engineer but in my own opinion I very much doubt it.

Edit: actually the way this country works.
Talk to your councillor or Td first.
Back to looking for permission instead of forgiveness.

I suggest 2 large holding pens both side of road in your own land. Have cattle ready to move

Then open your 4 gates over. A set of temp traffic lights would be the job and a few signs.

And put up a sign that says "thank you motorist for taking 2 minutes to allow me cross the animals safely".
Advertisement
13-09-2017, 18:34   #6
mattthetrasher

Thanks lakill, I like the way your thinking and a bit of manners as they say will get you a long way(30 feet across the road would do)
(2) thanks from:
13-09-2017, 18:50   #7
Muckit

I wouldn't go putting anything stationary on the road (gates or cones etc). I would think it would be totally illegal to do so and if somebody crashed into them I'd be pretty sure you wouldnt be covered with your farm insurance!!

Two insured vehicles with strobes/flashers/signage parked perhaps 50m from each side would perhaps be a practical suggestion.

But long-term, best to be proactive and organise a meeting with local engineer from council. You need to get a name and be persistent in emailing and ringing them until it happens. As floki has said u may have to approach your local councillor first as they are present at a lot of meetings with these council members and could put a word in for you (stupid but this is how Ireland works!)

When u eventually get a meeti g on the ground, show them how dangerous the road is and the predicament you are in with trying to get your cows across safely and see what they suggest.

Last edited by Muckit; 13-09-2017 at 18:55.
13-09-2017, 19:30   #8
mattthetrasher

Two gates are already opposite, my thoughts was to replace both of those to two double fifteen foots and instead of them opening in, open them out and meet on the white line. From our point of veiw it can't be more dangerous than a car running into us or the cows. Even if its only a short term measure

Last edited by mattthetrasher; 13-09-2017 at 19:34.
13-09-2017, 19:39   #9
jimini0

I help a friend here now and then to cross his cattle a national road n59. He always gets someone to help both wearing hi vis vests or jackets. He has a holding pen either side of the road. I park one side of crossing he parks the other side with hazards on . He pulls 2 lengths of electric fence tape across the road. Open gates and move cows across. All done in 2 mins or less.
I know you mention that help in scarce but it's important to have 2 people for safety reasons. 4 eyes are better than 2.
Advertisement
13-09-2017, 19:48   #10
mf240

We have to cross the road here too. For some of the grazing.

We only graze them across the road during the day so at least your only crossing twice and not very early or late.

I find if you strip graze the fields across the road then the cows will move a bit faster as they know there getting fresh grass.

I haven't done it but if you rang your farm insurance company would they advise on best pratice/what's covered ect.
Thanks from:
13-09-2017, 20:29   #11
mattthetrasher

We have two on the road at the moment and one driving them out. And he's going to be 88 in two weeks. So he says he might take things easier next year
Thanks from:
13-09-2017, 20:45   #12
charolais0153

Quote:
We have two on the road at the moment and one driving them out. And he's going to be 88 in two weeks. So he says he might take things easier next year
Maybe get a dog
(3) thanks from:
13-09-2017, 21:20   #13
Muckit

Quote:
And your only thinking of this now?!

65 is pension age.... there's even talks at present of increasing to 70 in a few years....... but 88?

Firefighting now with 2 gates ain't going to cut it if u want to hold onto your farm and carry on milking
13-09-2017, 21:25   #14
mattthetrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckit View Post
And your only thinking of this now?!

65 is pension age.... there's even talks at present of increasing to 70 in a few years....... but 88?

Firefighting now with 2 gates ain't going to cut it if u want to hold onto your farm and carry on milking
And what would you suggest
13-09-2017, 21:36   #15
mattthetrasher

We cross the road for ten days in april then close it for silage then graze again for the first ten days in September and then one last round Oct
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion