Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

07-09-2017, 11:02   #1
Boards.ie: Mark
Boards.ie Employee

Now Ye're Talking - to an ex-prisoner

Our next AMA guest is an ex-prisoner who was sentenced to six years in prison, serving 39 months of that sentence. Our volunteer is relatively newly released and is eager to share insights into their experience.

An ex-prisoner was on your AMA wishlist, so there should be plenty of interest in this AMA and it promises to be an eye-opening thread.

Please remember, however, that they are under no obligation to answer every question posed to them.
Advertisement
07-09-2017, 11:04   #2
amcalester

Do you feel you deserved to go to prison? And did it serve any purpose beyond punishment?
Thanks from:
07-09-2017, 11:10   #3
GBX

Do you feel any remorse for the crime you committed ? Has prison put you off offending again for fear of going back inside?
07-09-2017, 11:11   #4
Sin City

Did you drop the soap
07-09-2017, 11:11   #5
Faith+1

Do some inmates make it a lifestyle choice to want to stay in prison?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-09-2017, 11:13   #6
RustyNut

What positives if any did you take away from your time inside?
Thanks from:
07-09-2017, 11:13   #7
Boom_Bap
Landfill

Is there alot more freedom in prison than what you expected?
Is there any respect for the prison officers?
How many plans for escape or getting contraband in are in the works at any one time?
Did you do what they say in the movies and just batter the biggest guy you see on day 1?
(4) thanks from:
07-09-2017, 11:14   #8
davo2001

Do you feel that serving a little over half of your sentence is appropriate to your victim? How do you think they feel about this?
07-09-2017, 11:15   #9
Call me Al

Was this your first time to go to jail and do you feel its enough of a deterrent to committing crime in the future?

What's your opinion on the punishment v rehabilitation function of prisons?

If the gang you are pally with are the criminal type have you changed your habits, or are you back in touch with the same group again?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-09-2017, 11:18   #10
GypsyByName

How are you all doing guys?

I have about two days to do this so I will answer as much as possible, it might be at interval stages as I am in work at the moment so will be fitting as much in as I can without the boss over my shoulder
07-09-2017, 11:19   #11
Maximus277

Now that your on the outside how do you plan on getting a job?

Is it difficult for ex prisoners to get back into the workforce?
(2) thanks from:
07-09-2017, 11:26   #12
Jobs OXO

What's the bullying culture like? Is it anything like Americas Toughest Prisons - either you're the shark or the food?
07-09-2017, 11:26   #13
GypsyByName

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
Do you feel any remorse for the crime you committed ? Has prison put you off offending again for fear of going back inside?
Yes I definitely feel remorse, it was a life lesson also. It thought me alot about myself. I wasnt neccessarily cut out for prison but I learned to adapt fairly quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcalester View Post
Do you feel you deserved to go to prison? And did it serve any purpose beyond punishment?
Yes I definitely deserved to go to prison, it was one of the biggest drug seizures in the state at the time. There have been bigger since though in fairness!
07-09-2017, 11:27   #14
GypsyByName

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus277 View Post
Now that your on the outside how do you plan on getting a job?

Is it difficult for ex prisoners to get back into the workforce?
I am actually working at the moment, in fairness I got the job through a friend and my employer knows my past issues etc, I am doing quite well in that regard but in general its a nightmare for ex prisoners to get a job unless its through someone they know. Thats my experience anyway.
07-09-2017, 11:32   #15
GypsyByName

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Al View Post
Was this your first time to go to jail and do you feel its enough of a deterrent to committing crime in the future?

What's your opinion on the punishment v rehabilitation function of prisons?

If the gang you are pally with are the criminal type have you changed your habits, or are you back in touch with the same group again?
Yes it was my first time. Id be fairly sure it is my last time too. I have cut all ties with previous associates. It most definitely is not the type of life I want to lead, in fact, it wasnt then either , I just sort of fell in to a trap being young and naive I guess.

There definitely needs to be an overhaul of how prisons are managed regards rehabilitation and reform. The only prisoners I know that have taken a half decent path since release are ones who got involved in the few good things that go on in prison like courses and projects etc.
Thread Closed