Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
29-08-2017, 19:11   #1
Vampslayer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 27
Leinster Chess Union Website

What is going on with the Leinster Chess Union Website. Says "The page you have requested is not available" Any update or info?
Vampslayer is offline  
Advertisement
29-08-2017, 20:44   #2
Tim Harding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampslayer View Post
What is going on with the Leinster Chess Union Website. Says "The page you have requested is not available" Any update or info?
I found (or rather, failed to find) the same. Not paid their dues?
Or have they moved?
Normally at this time of the year we would expect to see information on the City of Dublin championships and maybe the leagues fixture list.
Tim Harding is offline  
30-08-2017, 10:27   #3
cdeb
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,562
Mod: Chess, ZTest
Happened last year as well I think; delay in renewing alright.
cdeb is offline  
Thanks from:
07-09-2017, 09:43   #4
Vampslayer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 27
I see the website is back up which is great. Any word when the fixtures will be up for the season?
Vampslayer is offline  
07-09-2017, 12:06   #5
cdeb
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,562
Mod: Chess, ZTest
Fixtures were sent out to club secretaries yesterday anyway.

Expect the website will be updated shortly.
cdeb is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-09-2017, 12:35   #6
Vampslayer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 27
Thanks good to know
Vampslayer is offline  
08-09-2017, 16:07   #7
Tim Harding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 794
Some matches are scheduled for Saturday 28 October which is a Bank Holiday weekend and clashes with the Limerick Open.
Can that be right? I thought matches were never scheduled for Bank Holiday weekends?

Also I am sorry to see that again there are only five rounds before Christmas and the leagues don't end until 29 April which is much later than usual. The last round falls at the time of university exams etc.
Tim Harding is offline  
08-09-2017, 16:18   #8
cdeb
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,562
Mod: Chess, ZTest
Best is to drop the leagues controller a line about the Bank Holiday in particular.

The LCU only try to avoid clashes with Leinster events and Bunratty/Kilkenny, as otherwise there'd never be any games played. Clubs are free to rearrange matches/boards for clashes with other events.
cdeb is offline  
08-09-2017, 16:25   #9
Tim Harding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeb View Post
Best is to drop the leagues controller a line about the Bank Holiday in particular.

The LCU only try to avoid clashes with Leinster events and Bunratty/Kilkenny, as otherwise there'd never be any games played. Clubs are free to rearrange matches/boards for clashes with other events.
Well I am not a captain so somebody else can do it. But they are breaking their own rules as per the PDF league rules on the LCU website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCU website
2.5 No team or player shall be obliged to play a league fixture on a public holiday or on a weekend encompassing a public holiday.
Tim Harding is offline  
Advertisement
10-09-2017, 23:10   #10
Joedryan
Registered User
 
Joedryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 129
If it is like in years gone by we are relying on the goodwill of individuals on the committee to keep these things going, in my case I had no problem maintaining the website out of my own pocket as the expense was minible and I could use the provider for other things also.
Joedryan is offline  
11-09-2017, 10:52   #11
mikhail
Registered User
 
mikhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedryan View Post
If it is like in years gone by we are relying on the goodwill of individuals on the committee to keep these things going, in my case I had no problem maintaining the website out of my own pocket as the expense was minible and I could use the provider for other things also.
I think the LCU's finances are pretty healthy; at least they were when I was on the committee fifteen years ago and the situation doesn't seem to have changed much since. The leagues provide a relatively large revenue stream at next to no cost. I would be very surprised if whoever's running the site were not claiming the cost back.
mikhail is offline  
11-09-2017, 12:24   #12
sinbad68
Registered User
 
sinbad68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhail View Post
I think the LCU's finances are pretty healthy; at least they were when I was on the committee fifteen years ago and the situation doesn't seem to have changed much since. The leagues provide a relatively large revenue stream at next to no cost. I would be very surprised if whoever's running the site were not claiming the cost back.
As you said LCU takes the €€€'s and provides very poor return, clubs are paying for 5 star service and get a Not up to scratch service, they can't even keep their website online and sometimes takes weeks for results and tables to be updated.

The best thing that could happen is, if Leinster leagues management was taken over by ICU and the leagues moved into digital age, more revenue for ICU, streamlining revenues and operations, anyway I am not going to play in Leinster leagues this season.
sinbad68 is offline  
11-09-2017, 17:44   #13
cdeb
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,562
Mod: Chess, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Harding View Post
Well I am not a captain so somebody else can do it.
That's not very helpful.

I asked about it at the tournament and the reply was "Bugger" - but seeing as we're already onto draft 4 of the league fixtures due to clubs changing meeting nights, a new fixture list won't issue, but clubs are entitled to reschedule the games. I think there's 5 in total across all the leagues.
cdeb is offline  
11-09-2017, 18:58   #14
Vampslayer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 27
League rules etc

Anyone else notice that the "League rules" "Fide laws of chess" and "Fide Competition rules" are all out of date. Do we know when these will be updated? I know the club secretaries probably have the updated versions but with the leagues starting on Saturday not sure the teams/ individuals playing will be informed.
Vampslayer is offline  
12-09-2017, 01:30   #15
Joedryan
Registered User
 
Joedryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 129
The LCU results should always be up to date, many years back we had an interactive widget for the website and had results next day all up to date. 
Its not really rocket science really.
Joedryan is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet