Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-07-2017, 08:39   #1
Matthew Gleeson

The Dublin Coach Experience

I use them 5 days a week to get to work and very much appreciate the service but have to ask if others out there are having some of the same issues with them that I am. Buses seem to break down, routes are cancelled and or severely delayed on a near daily occurrence.

One look on trip advisor shows people have experienced similar. The drivers are sound but one or two seem to run on a different clock to the rest of them so it's not uncommon to be either left waiting an hour or running for a bus thats pulling away 15 minutes early!

Would love to know your Dublin Coach stories, cause I have plenty.
Advertisement
23-07-2017, 14:32   #2
Quackster

Mod: Kerry, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Gleeson View Post
I use them 5 days a week to get to work and very much appreciate the service but have to ask if others out there are having some of the same issues with them that I am. Buses seem to break down, routes are cancelled and or severely delayed on a near daily occurrence.

One look on trip advisor shows people have experienced similar. The drivers are sound but one or two seem to run on a different clock to the rest of them so it's not uncommon to be either left waiting an hour or running for a bus thats pulling away 15 minutes early!

Would love to know your Dublin Coach stories, cause I have plenty.
My infrequent use of the Dublin/Tralee service would bear that out. The timetable is completely fantastical and the last time I traveled with them, the old clapped-out coach overheated and the mortified driver had to stop at a house and ask for a fill of water to get it going again.

They are nothing but a very last option for me.
23-07-2017, 18:17   #3
thomond2006

I've used them on Limerick-Dublin many times, most of the time there's no issue. It's a lot better getting on/off since they terminate at Bachelor's Walk and restart from Burgh Quay. I did give up on taking buses on Friday evenings due to full buses though.
(3) thanks from:
23-07-2017, 20:06   #4
JeffK88

Fairly regular user for work in the Airport. Pretty much the same experience as yourself. Most of the time it runs fine but the breakdowns do get annoying especially the middle of the night ones for night shifts.The overcrowding is becoming a problem too especially between newbridge and naas. I usual take the coach 2 hours before work start on the daytime buses just to be safe. As for stories where do I begin. Its mainly the other passengers that use the service who provide the most entertainment for me. For example a lady today with luggage got on the bus and the driver said to her that she could leave her luggage at the front of the bus because she was getting off at the next stop so she decides to sit on her suit case at the door of the bus creating her own seat . I could tell you hundreds of stories
(3) thanks from:
23-07-2017, 20:49   #5
Matthew Gleeson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackster View Post
My infrequent use of the Dublin/Tralee service would bear that out. The timetable is completely fantastical and the last time I traveled with them, the old clapped-out coach overheated and the mortified driver had to stop at a house and ask for a fill of water to get it going again.

They are nothing but a very last option for me.
That's a Dublin coach experience
Advertisement
23-07-2017, 20:52   #6
Matthew Gleeson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK88 View Post
Fairly regular user for work in the Airport. Pretty much the same experience as yourself. Most of the time it runs fine but the breakdowns do get annoying especially the middle of the night ones for night shifts.The overcrowding is becoming a problem too especially between newbridge and naas. I usual take the coach 2 hours before work start on the daytime buses just to be safe. As for stories where do I begin. Its mainly the other passengers that use the service who provide the most entertainment for me. For example a lady today with luggage got on the bus and the driver said to her that she could leave her luggage at the front of the bus because she was getting off at the next stop so she decides to sit on her suit case at the door of the bus creating her own seat . I could tell you hundreds of stories
Brilliant! Have seen similar. Recently a guy had a full shouting match at the driver cause he said he fell getting off the bus. He was just looking for a claim, and he ran away when the gards came and got on a bus back in the opposite direction I felt so bad for the driver. We were also 30 minutes late before this
23-07-2017, 20:53   #7
road_high

Pretty poor shabby buses, given a lick of paint to cover the cracks.
Follow them on Facebook and almost every single post relates to late buses, constantly.
Thanks from:
23-07-2017, 20:59   #8
boardsuser1

Most of the old buses are bought from Aircoach, the Setra's anyway.

Ironically Aircoach was set up by the Dublin Coach owner John O'Sullivan.

The personnel manager isn't great either.

I went for an interview with them and fcuked up.

Turned out to be a blessing in disguise.
(3) thanks from:
23-07-2017, 21:10   #9
Matthew Gleeson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Truck Driver View Post
Most of the old buses are bought from Aircoach, the Setra's anyway.

Ironically Aircoach was set up by the Dublin Coach owner John O'Sullivan.

The personnel manager isn't great either.

I went for an interview with them and fcuked up.

Turned out to be a blessing in disguise.
Interesting one! I thought some of them looked like old air coaches. The last few I've been on used to be for airport car parks and don't seem to be great for 45 minute journey.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-07-2017, 21:36   #10
Panjandrums

This post has been deleted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170227_180106_01_01.jpg (2.39 MB, 964 views)
Thanks from:
24-07-2017, 00:55   #11
howiya

I've reason to go Belfast next weekend. i should take aircoach or the train based on these reports?
24-07-2017, 01:25   #12
Losty Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiya View Post
I've reason to go Belfast next weekend. i should take aircoach or the train based on these reports?
Bus is more frequent and cheaper. The train is dearer but you'll probably have a better and more comfortable experience. And the on board breakfast is pretty good.
24-07-2017, 02:58   #13
NoFace

I use Dublin Coach frequently to get to Dungarvan, Waterford, however it always takes an hour longer than timetabled to get there. They're still quicker than any other service to get down there though, so I'll be sticking with them until a better option comes along.
The driver kicked some people off the bus last time I used it cos the bus was full and there were people waiting who had booked tickets online (who get priority) - it left people stranded, waiting for the next one in 2 hours time, in a place they didn't board the bus, it was ridiculous! I reckon I'll be booking all my future trips online to avoid this ever happening now
24-07-2017, 06:35   #14
boardsuser1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFace View Post
I use Dublin Coach frequently to get to Dungarvan, Waterford, however it always takes an hour longer than timetabled to get there. They're still quicker than any other service to get down there though, so I'll be sticking with them until a better option comes along.
The driver kicked some people off the bus last time I used it cos the bus was full and there were people waiting who had booked tickets online (who get priority) - it left people stranded, waiting for the next one in 2 hours time, in a place they didn't board the bus, it was ridiculous! I reckon I'll be booking all my future trips online to avoid this ever happening now
Is that even legal?
Thanks from:
24-07-2017, 10:13   #15
schemingbohemia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK88 View Post
Are people standing? That's illegal on those buses as far as i'm aware.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion