Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-07-2017, 22:56   #1
deadybai

Offaly Gaa

What exactly happened to Offaly? I can't believe that possibly the best dual county have fallen so hard and it's getting worse every year. You'd think at this stage they would have progressed somewhat.

What happened? Is there just no interest anymore ?

That was an almighty hammering today and Waterford are a defensive team
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-07-2017, 23:01   #2
Mulbert

It was Derek McGraths fault, he played four sweepers to their two.
01-07-2017, 23:29   #3
bennyineire

It's cause they don't play hurling in Birr any more, at least that's what they'd tell ya down the south of the county anyways.

Truth is we are a small county to start off with but then you add in the North v South divide (North predominantly football and the South almost exclusively predominantly hurling) our numbers get smaller for each code.

Serous lack of will power by the county board over the last 20 years to address this, it's come to a head now.

Take Kilcomac/Killoughy as a club for instance, they have been dominating Offaly hurling for the last 6 years but none of their players will play for Offaly for the last 2 years.

They won the intermediate football championships a few years back (all the hurlers) and then didn't bother enter a team in the senior championship and indeed don't have a football team now.

So we now have situation where some of our best players WILL not play for our county and half of the population despise football. So we are funcked.

At least we have the distant memories of winning All Irelands in both codes but we are a million miles from winner another again.
(2) thanks from:
02-07-2017, 15:49   #4
Doltanian
Banned

Massive emigration of the youth out of the county and it is a real economic basket case. The county that stopped Kerry's five in a row will probably never rise again.
02-07-2017, 16:02   #5
windy shepard henderson

always poit back to this interview from 3 or 4 years ago , padraig boland was the man at the helm of offaly gaa , an out and out football man and gave little time to hurling , the only way forward for offaly is to find some way for both codes to pull together

whats happining in offaly now happened 30 odd years ago in clare where people representing both codes didnt pull , players didnt want to commit to the county , hammerings on a regular basis was the end result for both hurlers and footballers

nowadays everyone is singing from the same page hence the improvement in the counties fortunes , i can only imagine this is what it was like in offaly in the early 80s
Advertisement
02-07-2017, 18:35   #6
mickmackey1
Banned

It's worth pointing out that for the first 90 years of the GAA, Offaly achieved absolutely zero in hurling. So what happened from 1980-2000 was little short of miraculous.
(2) thanks from:
02-07-2017, 18:51   #7

Up to 1960 we achieved nothing in football.From 1960 to 1982 3 all irelands and 8 Leinsters.

Outside of that period we won the Leinster in 1997 and NFL in 1998 and that's it.

In hurling before 1980 we won nothing from 1980 to 2000 we won 4 All Irelands 10 Leinsters and 7 all ireland final appearances.

Basically in each code we had 2 golden ages of around 20 years and outside that we've been fairly poor. We've just reverted to the norm in recent years.

Personally I can see the football team rising again and being competitive like we were in the period from 1997 to 2006 as that is the way football is an it's more equitable, I think the hurling at the top level may be gone for a long long time perhaps for good and we'll be a Christy Ring county in the future.I don't mind if neither team never wins anything again being competitive is enjoyable.

I haven't been to any matches in the last 2 or 3 years as the football we play is complete scutter and isn't worth watching hopefully we actually try and play some decent football in the future as that's the only way to actually improve a team.The great thing about the football team from 97 to 06 is a that although outside of the first year of that period we always fell short we were always competitive and played enjoyable football we get back to that level and I'd be happy.
(2) thanks from:
02-07-2017, 19:00   #8
Conor74

As a Kerryman, maybe I shouldn't be too generous about Offaly. But my age means I grew up thinking Offaly were the best football team outside Kerry, knowing that Kerry players were great, but in Matt Connor Offaly had the greatest (and many Kerry players of that era said he was). And assumed they were a hurling powerhouse because they pretty much played the best hurling around for so many years.

I guess I just didn't realise that it was just golden generation stuff. To fall so far in one code is unfortunate, but in both it's terrible.
02-07-2017, 19:32   #9
Offaly Exile

We certainly punched above our weight in that golden era period. For a county with a population of approx 60,000 it was an incredible achievement to contest the hurling and the football final in 1981. We also have won all stars in all 15 positions in hurling and football.

Up to 1986 we had never won a Leinster minor hurling title and then in a four year period between 86 and 89 we won 3 minor all irelands. In addition we contested 3 under 21 all ireland finals and lost all 3 including a classic against Tipp in 1987 and a replay to Waterford in 1992. Birr Community School won an all ireland colleges and Banagher VS were very competitive in the vocational schools system.

But we became too comfortable dining at the top table and fell asleep at the wheel (apologies for the mixed metaphors !). The pipeline dried up. We won a Leinster minor and under 21 hurling in 2000 but nothing since. We are losing at minor and under 21 hurling to Laois, Westmeath and Carlow as we failed to embrace the idea of development squads.

We have not been helped by poor county board officials. Big money (circa €6 million) went in to O'Connor Park which is a fine stadium but it came at a big price. Maybe the Bord na Mona deal will result in some money coming back to the clubs. We still have dreamers in the county who think that if we played our hurling games in Birr we would be better off

Anyway I have my memories of 1982, 1994 and especially Thurles in 1998
Advertisement
02-07-2017, 20:26   #10
Conor74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offaly Exile View Post
But we became too comfortable dining at the top table and fell asleep at the wheel (apologies for the mixed metaphors !). The pipeline dried up.
It seems like ye went back to the well too often, and the wheels came off...
(2) thanks from:
02-07-2017, 20:32   #11
windy shepard henderson

Quote:

Anyway I have my memories of 1982, 1994 and especially Thurles in 1998
i sometimes think of thurles 98 also , and no matter how big a hiding offaly get , it still dosent take away the pain

but seriously , what happened the whelahans and dooleys , what dose michael diuginan do for underage up there , in both football and hurling in clare we have members of the 92 footballers , and mid 90s hurlers involved with our development squads , its why we are operating at a competitive level in both codes

if the people i mentioned worked kids up from a young age in development squads hurling would not be long coming back in the county i believe

was at a game last year in tullamore between offaly and clare in division 3 in the league , you could sense a totally different atmosphere around the place then if it was a hurling game , you can sense from the people up there that day that they will bounce back at some stage but everything that surounds hurling seems hopeless at the moment

i understand too that back in the 80s there was large employment in places like edenderry, ferbane shannonbridge power stations and at the board na mona plants around the midlands , that was huge to the success and development back then that guys could work and train locally all that seems to be gone now too
02-07-2017, 20:34   #12
Offaly Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor74 View Post
It seems like ye went back to the well too often, and the wheels came off...
It's all water under the bridge now and then we ended up the creek without a paddle
(3) thanks from:
02-07-2017, 20:46   #13
Offaly Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy shepard henderson View Post
i sometimes think of thurles 98 also , and no matter how big a hiding offaly get , it still dosent take away the pain

but seriously , what happened the whelahans and dooleys , what dose michael diuginan do for underage up there , in both football and hurling in clare we have members of the 92 footballers , and mid 90s hurlers involved with our development squads , its why we are operating at a competitive level in both codes

if the people i mentioned worked kids up from a young age in development squads hurling would not be long coming back in the county i believe

was at a game last year in tullamore between offaly and clare in division 3 in the league , you could sense a totally different atmosphere around the place then if it was a hurling game , you can sense from the people up there that day that they will bounce back at some stage but everything that surounds hurling seems hopeless at the moment

i understand too that back in the 80s there was large employment in places like edenderry, ferbane shannonbridge power stations and at the board na mona plants around the midlands , that was huge to the success and development back then that guys could work and train locally all that seems to be gone now too
Brian Whelahan applied to manage the minors a few years ago and ended up getting the senior job ( I kid you not !). I felt sorry for Brian. He was out of his depth and left after we lost to Laois 2 years ago (first loss to Laois since 1972).

Joe Dooley managed us for a few years and we were reasonably competitive. Succeeded by a certain O.Baker !

Johnny Dooley is a selector this year with Kevin Ryan. I'd say he is ashamed of Ryan's tactics, playing two sweepers and saying during the week that he just hoped we could keep the score down yesterday against Waterford. The county board said that when Ryan was appointed that Paul Flynn would join him as coach. Flynn never showed.
02-07-2017, 20:49   #14
Conor74

Quote:
It's all water under the bridge now and then we ended up the creek without a paddle
Ye are entitled to be sick as parrots...

Heard a Newstalk review of the Offaly hurling side when the whole country wanted to watch various Dooleys or Pilkingtons, a Whelahan here, a Rigney there and so on. And it reminded me of that wonderful era of talent that played well...and partied long and hard. They succeeded on ability, not systems or gamesmanship, no big drama about an extra man back etc.
02-07-2017, 20:52   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor74 View Post
Ye are entitled to be sick as parrots...

Heard a Newstalk review of the Offaly hurling side when the whole country wanted to watch various Dooleys or Pilkingtons, a Whelahan here, a Rigney there and so on. And it reminded me of that wonderful era of talent that played well...and partied long and hard. They succeeded on ability, not systems or gamesmanship, no big drama about an extra man back etc.
I don't think that kind of team can succeed in the modern quasi-professional game

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion