Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now Ye're Talking - to John Kavanagh

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Hi John

If Conor and SBG manage to beat Floyd and taking into account that Ye all managed to win 2 UFC belts consecutively, What direction will SBG go If you have well known international sports stars contacting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

Who has a better chance, Floyd to beat Joshua in boxing or Conor to beat Stipe in mma? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

If I measure one of my feet and it is less than 12 inches, can it still be considered a foot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Hi John I'm a fellow red face sufferer! Any tips or tricks that worked for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

1. How easy is it to maintain Coach/Student boundaries with fighters as they get more famous? If Conor or Gunni showed up 15 minutes late for practice would they get the same bollocking that a relatively unknown fighter would get or do you give them more leeway?

2. I know you're not his dad, but as his head coach have you ever reminded Conor to wear his seat-belt? Those selfie videos he posts driving without a seat-belt make me nervous but he seems to be improving with it. #roadsafety

3. Following on - Gunni does some mental stuff over in Iceland with those snowmobiles, have you ever raised any concern he might crash it and mangle his arm or something that rules him out for 6 months?!

4. What do you think of Cathal Pendred's acting performances?

5. How impressed were you with Helen Maroulis as a person and were you blown away by her wrestling? Do you think she could be a world champion in MMA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Hi John,

Cheers for doing this,

Every had a interview you wish you could restart? If so which one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I saw you mentioned bringing Wimp2Warrior to other cities, any plans to bring it to Galway? Know loads who'd be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hi,

What are you interests and hobbies outside of your work?

Do you have any regrets about advice you gave to fighters before or during a fight?

Thank You

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

xtal191 wrote: »
    Who has a better chance, Floyd to beat Joshua in boxing or Conor to beat Stipe in mma? :pac:

In a ring or on the street?
    With or without weapons?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Asia would be considered the spiritual home of martial arts by many people (myself included), although many other regions in the world obviously have a history with unarmed combat techniques too.

And martial arts is just as popular as it ever was in that region.

My question is this: why do you think we don't see more elite Asian fighters having success at the top of MMA/UFC??

The UFC is obviously very interested in finding more stars from that region, as it would be great for business. There are some very skilled Asian fighters... but none of them seem to be setting the MMA world on fire when they reach the UFC or other top promotions!

Isn't this a bit odd...!? From a region that gave the world Bruce Lee...

Is there something physically or psychologically that is preventing Asian fighters from transferring those skills onto the top level of the sport? (that would be my best guess, as I don't see too much wrong with their skill levels tbh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Do you ever worry about overly obsessive fans John? I know every famous person has some crazy fans (in my eyes you have to be crazy to be living your life almost completely vicariously through someone else) but i'm talking about the ones who know more about you than you, have every stat on every event you or your fighters have done etc?? Would you be worried about annoying them or blanking them, both for your safety and for their own?

Or do you just get on with your own thing and not think about it??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Do you ever worry about overly obsessive fans John? I know every famous person has some crazy fans (in my eyes you have to be crazy to be living your life almost completely vicariously through someone else) but i'm talking about the ones who know more about you than you, have every stat on every event you or your fighters have done etc?? Would you be worried about annoying them or blanking them, both for your safety and for their own?

Wonderfullife is a good guy, I wouldn't go so far as to call him a crazy stalker type :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Honest question John, can you hook up Wonderfullife with a ticket to the fight, I think he deserves one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Honest question John, can you hook up Wonderfullife with a ticket to the fight, I think he deserves one.

Guy deserves an entourage spot for the walkout at this stage honestly

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

I know there are lots of hypotheticals to this question but if something of SBG Ireland's scale had been around when you were a teenager, do you think you'd have made it to UFC level as a fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Can we do an AMA for Wonderfullife where we ask him the same question about people like you?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Any word on when the Strabanimal is going to headline the 3arena? Surely it's gotta be his next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Hey John,

Random assortment of questions here:

Did your editor have a heart attack when you gave him your first draft of Win or Learn? :pac:
    Just basing this on your writing style here!

How long did it take to write the book and are you very proud of it? Have you read it back yourself? Get any comments on it from those described in it?

What ambitions do you have for yourself in your life now that you have achieved so much already?

When is the last time you got any aggro (in a nightclub say)/ have you had any 'real life' fights since those documented in your book?

You've mingled with a bunch of celebs over the last few years... Who was a dıck/ who was cool?

What do you think is Conor's greatest motivation? Some would say money, others fame, but I suspect it's neither - maybe just to be the best?

Nice one for doing the AMA. Whats great about Ireland is people leave famous people alone for the most part so as not to pester them. Sometimes going so far as to ignore them! I like the fact that you have chimed in on Boards through the years and have remained level headed and accessible. That would be important for Conor too, I suspect.

Well done too for your accomplishments, Ireland is proud of ye!

• Company Representative Posts: 64 Verified rep JohnSBG

Hi John

If Conor and SBG manage to beat Floyd and taking into account that Ye all managed to win 2 UFC belts consecutively, What direction will SBG go If you have well known international sports stars contacting you.

i'm thinking football next.
    xtal191 wrote: »

conor
    how.gareth wrote: »
    Hi John I'm a fellow red face sufferer! Any tips or tricks that worked for you?

none. it wasn't until i just stopped caring about what people would think that it finally started to calm down. so accept it and smile away :)
    1. How easy is it to maintain Coach/Student boundaries with fighters as they get more famous? If Conor or Gunni showed up 15 minutes late for practice would they get the same bollocking that a relatively unknown fighter would get or do you give them more leeway?

2. I know you're not his dad, but as his head coach have you ever reminded Conor to wear his seat-belt? Those selfie videos he posts driving without a seat-belt make me nervous but he seems to be improving with it. #roadsafety

3. Following on - Gunni does some mental stuff over in Iceland with those snowmobiles, have you ever raised any concern he might crash it and mangle his arm or something that rules him out for 6 months?!

4. What do you think of Cathal Pendred's acting performances?

5. How impressed were you with Helen Maroulis as a person and were you blown away by her wrestling? Do you think she could be a world champion in MMA?

- we work around conor's schedule.
    - no
    - all the time!
    - very good
    - great person. wrestling was amazing. with zero other training i'd have her in top 10 already
    Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Hi John,

Cheers for doing this,

Every had a interview you wish you could restart? If so which one?

no
    1. Did you enjoy coaching the Wimp 2 Warrior beginners and where do you see that going?

2. Do you think any of your other Martial Artists will be a UFC champion one day? I have a young Lion on my watch-list that I think will go places ;)

3. Would you be interested in doing a Reddit AMA? They aren't your biggest fan over there and refer to you as "The Irish Edmund" but I think you could take them down a peg

4. Which Martial arts do you think are the most integral to MMA

5. Where do you see the BJJ scene in Ireland going in the next 5 years

Thanks John

-love it. not sure how long i'll do 'pro' level but will always do W2W
    - i certainly hope so!
    - spend hours dealing with anonymous people abusing me.....ehmmm, i'll pass :)
    - wrestling
    - continuing to produce great players!
    Lukker- wrote: »
    I saw you mentioned bringing Wimp2Warrior to other cities, any plans to bring it to Galway? Know loads who'd be interested.

hmmm... you might have just given me an idea!
    Hi,

What are you interests and hobbies outside of your work?

Do you have any regrets about advice you gave to fighters before or during a fight?

Thank You

reading while travelling
    yes. cant think of a specific but always watch back and think of small adjustments that could have been better.
    Asia would be considered the spiritual home of martial arts by many people (myself included), although many other regions in the world obviously have a history with unarmed combat techniques too.

And martial arts is just as popular as it ever was in that region.

My question is this: why do you think we don't see more elite Asian fighters having success at the top of MMA/UFC??

The UFC is obviously very interested in finding more stars from that region, as it would be great for business. There are some very skilled Asian fighters... but none of them seem to be setting the MMA world on fire when they reach the UFC or other top promotions!

Isn't this a bit odd...!? From a region that gave the world Bruce Lee...

Is there something physically or psychologically that is preventing Asian fighters from transferring those skills onto the top level of the sport? (that would be my best guess, as I don't see too much wrong with their skill levels tbh)

there grappling is not great. no youtube to study etc. but i might be involved in changing that soon!

i've not found worry an effective use of time for anything.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 64 Verified rep JohnSBG

Zero-Cool wrote: »

if i got any i would. struggling to get wee orlagh one!
    I know there are lots of hypotheticals to this question but if something of SBG Ireland's scale had been around when you were a teenager, do you think you'd have made it to UFC level as a fighter

hmmm. i would like to think so but who knows eh?
    selassie wrote: »
    Any word on when the Strabanimal is going to headline the 3arena? Surely it's gotta be his next one!

by this time next year for sure
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    Hey John,

Random assortment of questions here:

Did your editor have a heart attack when you gave him your first draft of Win or Learn? :pac:
    Just basing this on your writing style here!

How long did it take to write the book and are you very proud of it? Have you read it back yourself? Get any comments on it from those described in it?

What ambitions do you have for yourself in your life now that you have achieved so much already?

When is the last time you got any aggro (in a nightclub say)/ have you had any 'real life' fights since those documented in your book?

You've mingled with a bunch of celebs over the last few years... Who was a dıck/ who was cool?

What do you think is Conor's greatest motivation? Some would say money, others fame, but I suspect it's neither - maybe just to be the best?

Nice one for doing the AMA. Whats great about Ireland is people leave famous people alone for the most part so as not to pester them. Sometimes going so far as to ignore them! I like the fact that you have chimed in on Boards through the years and have remained level headed and accessible. That would be important for Conor too, I suspect.

Well done too for your accomplishments, Ireland is proud of ye!

- no because they hired an actual writer to turn my gibberish into something readable
    - 3mths. yes. no. no
    - i'm actually planning on becoming a farmer. seriously.
    - its been a loooong time! none since book fo sho
    - in general. sports stars cool. music people dicks. very generally speaking.
    - you are right. competition.
    - much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I'm going to apologize to absolutely nobody for coming late to this sport or for being a massive fan of John, Conor and SBG no matter how often you mock me for my enthusiasm.

The first time I ever heard Dark Side of the Moon was in 1997 and I'm not going to apologize for coming late to Pink Floyd either. I'm sure in school you were *that guy* who slagged people off because you discovered a band before them when it was *cool*.

Conor & John inspired my love for MMA. Go read 'Win or Learn', available in all good outlets and get inspired too. Great book even for non-sports fans.

When John started his first gym in Phibsboro in a dingy shed, there was a UFC event shortly after. The Main Event was BJ Penn v Jens Pulver. BJ was paid $25,000 to show up for the fight and he was the headline attraction.

There was no money to be made from MMA yet John stuck at it because he was passionate about martial arts and wanted to spread his love for it. The only money in it back then was bank loans and debt!

Now 15 years later, he will be proudly walking his fighter into the T-Mobile arena in Las Vegas to square off against Floyd Mayweather in the richest combat event ever. When the history books of the sporting decade are written, Crumlin's Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather will be front and center.

The lads have inspired tons of Irish people, young and old, male and female, to become fans of this great sport. If you can only hate on that, then you're doing it wrong.

And here's an idea - go find something in your own life that you're passionate about and put as much positive energy into that as you do negative energy into making fun of me for being a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Would training once a week be enough to get to know the basics of BJJ? I have no intention of ever fighting but I'd love to train to fight if that makes sense? But I work full time and I'm about to become a student on top of the work. Been through a journey of weightloss, over the last while, I was 126kg ane now just over 100kg. I'm also 33 but I did box for a year when I was 12 :pac: and I'd love to really raise my fitness levels

I love the movement and was especially intrigued and impressed with the introduction of Ido Portal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JahRama

Thanks for doing this John

- Favourite UFC referee and why
    - Best UFC referee and why (if different)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭The White Feather

JahRama wrote: »
    Thanks for doing this John

- Favourite UFC referee and why
    - Best UFC referee and why (if different)

I am fairly sure he will say Marc Goddard!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Any advice for a thirty something year old looking to try his hand at BJJ ? Too late to start?

No its not too late go down on monday and check out somewhere local, plenty of people start later than you, dont need JK to tell you this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

And here's an idea - go find something in your own life that you're passionate about and put as much positive energy into that as you do negative energy into making fun of me for being a fan.

Hear hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

JohnSBG wrote: »
    there grappling is not great. no youtube to study etc. but i might be involved in changing that soon!

All however many billion of them, and not one superstar has emerged that can grapple?? lol

Judo, sumo, Jiu-jitsu... and many others, they are all Asian creations. No disrespect, but why would they require a coach from Ireland to teach them how to do something that they created?

Seriously, there is nowhere else on earth where martial arts is more widely practiced... and yet they are really struggling to produce top level elite talent.

John, you grew up fascinated with martial arts movies. Many of those movies will have had asian fighters or some asian martial arts themes within them. (karate kid etc) You don't find it really odd that the birthplace of many of these skills is not producing great dominant UFC champions??

Anyone looking to question the greatness of someone like Bruce Lee, for example, would have ample fuel for such aspersions... considering the most skilled Asian fighters of today are not really cutting the mustard at the elite level. So how can we be so sure that Bruce Lee would have either??

Personally, I think Bruce might have been different to these modern Asian fighters. But how can we be sure? The doubters do have a strong case. Not about his level of skill... of course... because that is unquestionable. But whether those skills would have transferred successfully into making him a champion MMA fighter!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

1) Do you find it difficult to divide your time between your fighters or to give what you feel is a fair enough amount of time to each of them? How do you balance this?

2) Have you ever had a situation whereby a fighter has come to you to say he/she doesn't feel you are giving him/her enough of your time? If so, how did you deal with this?

3) What percentage of people in your gym would you estimate are people that are there to compete in comparison to those that are looking to keep fit or enjoy it as hobby without ever competing? What split is male/female?

4) Is there any ever difficulty in any way, shape or form with having some people in the gym who compete and some who just go recreationally? Or are the two groups kept completely separate at all times?

5) Do you ever have any bother in your gym with your members hassling the pro fighters, especially Conor, asking for pictures etc? What sort of policy do you have in place with regards to this, if any?

6) Have you ever had a situation in the gym where things have got heated between yourself and one of your students (aside from the Conor/Ais incident)? If so, what lead to it and how did you react/deal with this?

On a separate note, I know someone who enquired to SBG about taking up some classes. He contacted the gym and was called back very quickly. Invited in and shown around for about an hour by a lady who answered all his questions and the information pack he was given at the end was highly detailed too. Unfortunately he couldn't go ahead with it due to logistical reasons but the whole process from the initial enquiry right through was excellent. Just wanted to add this as people are often quick to criticise but not so quick to praise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Hey John, do you still check in on the MMA board these days? Obviously you'll be busy, but please drop by there again nearing fight week!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement