Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

21-05-2017, 10:12   #1
Johnboy1951

IPTV Provider iBox.ie

This service started some years ago, but things have moved on considerably since then apparently .... prices have dropped and the channels available have increased.

I would like to hear from people using this service today, particularly in relation to

stability of service and streams
quality of streams ... resolution & bitrate
what devices it is being used on and if any specific software is required for those devices.

A friend has asked me to find them a suitable service in their temporary accommodation, where it is not feasible to erect an aerial or sat dish, but has reasonable broadband available, and this came to my notice.

Any information appreciated, thanks.
Advertisement
21-05-2017, 11:21   #2
STB.

I dont have the answers to your questions about quality etc, but I am interested in the mechanics of how they are selling this service.

Have they got the permission of the stations as they are effectively rebroadcasting them ?

ICDG closed a thread on this yesterday maintaining that Vodafone and Eir were the only show in town. I took that at face value and then had a look at the Ibox crowds website.

https://www.ibox.ie/mock/codeofpractice.htm

They have Comreg down as a complaints body. That leads me to believe that they are legit.

I still do not believe they got the UK channels agreement to do what they are doing, ie charge for channels that are FTA on other platforms and in another country.
21-05-2017, 11:33   #3
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB. View Post
I dont have the answers to your questions about quality etc, but I am interested in the mechanics of how they are selling this service.

Have they got the permission of the stations as they are effectively rebroadcasting them ?

ICDG closed a thread on this yesterday maintaining that Vodafone and Eir were the only show in town. I took that at face value and then had a look at the Ibox crowds website.

https://www.ibox.ie/mock/codeofpractice.htm

They have Comreg down as a complaints body. That leads me to believe that they are legit.

I still do not believe they got the UK channels agreement to do what they are doing, ie charge for channels that are FTA on other platforms and in another country.
I checked with ICDG before starting this thread.
He had no specific problem with iBox.

I also wondered about the same things as yourself ..... but iBox have been in operation since ~2011 and quite openly sell their service, apparently without repercussions, so it certainly seems to be legit.

The basic (10) channels for €3 per month seems like a reasonable 'stop-gap' for people like my friend.
Of course if the quality etc is not good then something like FilmOn would cost nothing for similar quality on those channels. (I expect FilmOn is also legit).

So, really, for the use case I mentioned, it is a matter whether the quality of the streams warrant a payment to iBox or not.
21-05-2017, 11:40   #4
STB.

It may be that RTE are ignoring it as present. The Ondemand plugin on E2 boxes takes the content from RTE's website also and they have been ignoring that in the absence of development for other platforms. I presume the Ibox service is a matrix of satellite boxes connected through their own server which in turn is providing streams.

Filmon is a totally different kettle of fish as the owner is heir to the Coca Cola bottling empire and has lots of money to challenge broadcasters etc, but you may wish to know that filmon no longer provide the service for free even in SD. It has a 2 minute shutdown.

Last edited by STB.; 21-05-2017 at 11:44.
21-05-2017, 11:53   #5
icdg

Just to clarify again, I cited Eir and Vodafone as examples of legal IPTV providers but by no means intended to imply that they were the only legal IPTV providers. For example, I didn't mention Now TV or Magnet either.
Advertisement
21-05-2017, 12:01   #6
STB.

Just to clarify it was this thread I was talking about.

There must be deleted posts that I am not seeing as it has been closed with a warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDG
Discussion of any provider who does not hold the relevant carriage agreements for channels is not allowed.

If this becomes a problem the charter will be reviewed and I will consider asking the admins to change the forum title
21-05-2017, 13:05   #7
tomwaits48

Illegal service
21-05-2017, 16:52   #8
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwaits48 View Post
Illegal service
Can you provide some background for that opinion please?

The service has existed with an Irish email address since 2011, and is apparently confined to Ireland.

I have read nothing about them being in legal trouble for their service.
21-05-2017, 16:54   #9
Johnboy1951

Quote:
It may be that RTE are ignoring it as present. The Ondemand plugin on E2 boxes takes the content from RTE's website also and they have been ignoring that in the absence of development for other platforms. I presume the Ibox service is a matrix of satellite boxes connected through their own server which in turn is providing streams.

Filmon is a totally different kettle of fish as the owner is heir to the Coca Cola bottling empire and has lots of money to challenge broadcasters etc, but you may wish to know that filmon no longer provide the service for free even in SD. It has a 2 minute shutdown.
Thanks ..... I was not aware that FilmOn had gone paid on the SD channels (I have no cause to use them).

Quote:
Just to clarify it was this thread I was talking about.

There must be deleted posts that I am not seeing as it has been closed with a warning.
I don't think there were any posts deleted, from what I recall reading.
Advertisement
21-05-2017, 17:00   #10
ED E

They're saving and replaying content for a week, I'd be very very skeptical they have licence to do that, even if they could retransmit legally.

Small enough that nobodys bothered with them. Yet.
21-05-2017, 17:38   #11
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED E View Post
They're saving and replaying content for a week, I'd be very very skeptical they have licence to do that, even if they could retransmit legally.

Small enough that nobodys bothered with them. Yet.
Skeptical I understand ...... but for the moment 'innocent' until otherwise known.

I dunno why but I thought there was no contract with iBox except for a month-by-month prepayment. Apparently not. It seems to be a 12 month contract, which might not suit my friend

I am (so far) unable to determine if more than one channel could be received at the same time, which might be a concern.

A positive is that the service can be received using Kodi (although not the 7 day catch up content through Kodi). IPTV-Simple is the plug-in used.

There are aspects of their T&Cs that I would not like such as if a customer decides to move to a different value service it becomes a new contract for 12 months.

Anyway, I would still like to hear from someone who uses this service to get a real-world view of it.
22-05-2017, 06:28   #12
jdk01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy1951 View Post
This service started some years ago, but things have moved on considerably since then apparently .... prices have dropped and the channels available have increased.

I would like to hear from people using this service today, particularly in relation to

stability of service and streams
quality of streams ... resolution & bitrate
what devices it is being used on and if any specific software is required for those devices.

A friend has asked me to find them a suitable service in their temporary accommodation, where it is not feasible to erect an aerial or sat dish, but has reasonable broadband available, and this came to my notice.

Any information appreciated, thanks.
I tried iBox recently. I found the SD bit rate disappointing and subscription process cumbersome. TV Player is better but they recently added geo location to their softwarea. Zattoo is another alternative also gave a better picture. They both have free usage options, so worth trying.

Last edited by jdk01; 22-05-2017 at 06:32.
Thanks from:
22-05-2017, 06:37   #13
jdk01

I tried iBox recently. I found the SD bit rate disappointing and subscription process cumbersome.

If you can legally receive, TV Player is better but they recently added geo location to their Software.

Zattoo is another alternative also gave a better picture.

They both have free usage options, so worth trying.
22-05-2017, 08:49   #14
Johnboy1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk01 View Post
I tried iBox recently. I found the SD bit rate disappointing and subscription process cumbersome.
Were you able to receive more than one concurrent TV channel in the single iBox account? Was it possible to watch TV on two or more devices at the same time?

Quote:
If you can legally receive, TV Player is better but they recently added geo location to their Software.

Zattoo is another alternative also gave a better picture.

They both have free usage options, so worth trying.
Unfortunately neither of those are available in Ireland.

Thanks for the information and suggestions.
If you recall anything further about iBox please post again, thanks.
22-05-2017, 17:31   #15
droidman123

I got this today,I went for the 60 channels @ €10 a month.I have been watching it (various channels) for the last 3 hours and am extremely pleased with it.really decent picture and no buffering . Although it's a 12 month contract,you can cancel during any time within that 12 months without penalty.it's SD, but way better than Filmon was before it became subscription
Footnote~ they don't take the full 12 months payment in one go,they just take it monthly.I paid by PayPal on a preapproved payment plan.
Thread Closed