Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
23-03-2017, 21:43   #1
Thephantomsmask
Registered User
 
Thephantomsmask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,230
Send a message via Skype™ to Thephantomsmask
EIR prepay plan, 30 simplicity now 20, in-store/online sale.

Hopefully this might be helpful to others, especially Three customers such as myself who are having their plans changed!

Meteor are currently running an in-store only promotion on their PAYG plans. Their simplicity unlimited pay as you go bundle is €20 for life if you port your number in-store before March 31st. The plan includes unlimited calls, texts and 15gb of data (Facebook, Pokemon go, YouTube and several others are free to use and do not count towards this allowance). Normally this is €30 per month.

It isn't mentioned online and I only noticed it by good fortune on the LCD screen when I was passing the store in Wilton yesterday. I had been planning to port to them anyway as the Three/Tesco/lycamobile data signal is awful in the area during the day so this was a welcome, if well hidden, sweetener.

MOD EDIT: NOW ON EIR WEBSITE https://www.eir.ie/mobile/prepay/

Last edited by TheDriver; 08-09-2017 at 17:56. Reason: Clarifying the free data apps!
Thephantomsmask is offline  
Advertisement
23-03-2017, 21:46   #2
CWF
Registered User
 
CWF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 983
What does it mean to port your number in store?
CWF is offline  
23-03-2017, 21:49   #3
Gumbo
Moderator
 
Gumbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWF View Post
What does it mean to port your number in store?
You go into a physical store.
Take out your phone with a number from a different network.
Tell them you want to switch to meteor.
They initiate the porting process which brings your existing number from another network over to the meteor network.
Gumbo is offline  
(2) thanks from:
23-03-2017, 21:52   #4
cronos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thephantomsmask View Post
Hopefully this might be helpful to others, especially Three customers such as myself who are having their plans changed!

Meteor are currently running an in-store only promotion on their PAYG plans. Their simplicity unlimited pay as you go bundle is €20 for life if you port your number in-store before March 31st. The plan includes unlimited calls, texts and 15gb of data (Facebook, Pokemon go, YouTube and several others do not count towards this allowance). Normally this is €30 per month.

It isn't mentioned online and I only noticed it by good fortune on the LCD screen when I was passing the store in Wilton yesterday. I had been planning to port to them anyway as the Three/Tesco/lycamobile data signal is awful in the area during the day so this was a welcome, if well hidden, sweetener.
Would you be sure Meteor use a different network to the likes of Three. Is it better. I know Vodafone have better coverage.
cronos is offline  
23-03-2017, 21:58   #5
Thephantomsmask
Registered User
 
Thephantomsmask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,230
Send a message via Skype™ to Thephantomsmask
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronos View Post
Would you be sure Meteor use a different network to the likes of Three. Is it better. I know Vodafone have better coverage.
Meteor have their own infrastructure, completely separate from Three's masts.

ETA coverage depends on your own specific location of course. Their coverage maps are on their website. With Three I went from passable 4G to crippled 3G during peak hours after they bought O2. I had both Sims in my phone leaving wilton, waiting for the port, one had fast 4G and the other told me I was offline because their 3G was so slow!
Thephantomsmask is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-03-2017, 22:00   #6
cronos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,168
I wonder if this is better then the vodafone "student" deal
cronos is offline  
23-03-2017, 22:05   #7
DopeTech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronos View Post
I wonder if this is better then the vodafone "student" deal
Well you get unlimited calls with this but 5gb data less and no Spotify. Depends really on your usage.I'll be sticking with Vodafone but I know others who this plan will suit.
DopeTech is online now  
23-03-2017, 22:06   #8
triple nipple
Registered User
 
triple nipple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 322
Nice one, seems a good deal
triple nipple is offline  
23-03-2017, 22:11   #9
Thephantomsmask
Registered User
 
Thephantomsmask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,230
Send a message via Skype™ to Thephantomsmask
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronos View Post
I wonder if this is better then the vodafone "student" deal
It depends on your usage I guess, meteor give free access to YouTube, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, WhatsApp & Viber messaging (Pokemon go also on another page) without out using any of your data allowance so if you spend a lot of time on those then meteor may suit you better as you keep the 15gb for tethering or general browsing.

The student offer is a good deal though, unfortunately I left college some time ago
Thephantomsmask is offline  
Advertisement
23-03-2017, 22:20   #10
kindalen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 933
Any idea on data roaming in eu with this?
kindalen is offline  
Thanks from:
23-03-2017, 22:25   #11
cronos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thephantomsmask View Post
It depends on your usage I guess, meteor give free access to YouTube, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, WhatsApp & Viber messaging (Pokemon go also on another page) without out using any of your data allowance so if you spend a lot of time on those then meteor may suit you better as you keep the 15gb for tethering or general browsing.

The student offer is a good deal though, unfortunately I left college some time ago
I'd really think only Youtube is actually using any serious amount of data amount those.
cronos is offline  
23-03-2017, 22:30   #12
DopeTech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thephantomsmask View Post
It depends on your usage I guess, meteor give free access to YouTube, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, WhatsApp & Viber messaging (Pokemon go also on another page) without out using any of your data allowance so if you spend a lot of time on those then meteor may suit you better as you keep the 15gb for tethering or general browsing.

The student offer is a good deal though, unfortunately I left college some time ago
Not to derail this thread but you don't need to be a student. Have a read of post 1 in the student deal thread.
DopeTech is online now  
(2) thanks from:
23-03-2017, 22:31   #13
Thephantomsmask
Registered User
 
Thephantomsmask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,230
Send a message via Skype™ to Thephantomsmask
Quote:
Originally Posted by cronos View Post
I'd really think only Youtube is actually using any serious amount of data amount those.
I find autoplaying videos and gifs on FB to be a huge data hog tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindalen View Post
Any idea on data roaming in eu with this?
None included unfortunately. I am biding my time for June 15th for the EU roaming laws to come into effect. I put a top up on an old 3pay sim to avail of 3 like home in London next week before it is scrapped.
Thephantomsmask is offline  
23-03-2017, 22:32   #14
Thephantomsmask
Registered User
 
Thephantomsmask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,230
Send a message via Skype™ to Thephantomsmask
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyJim View Post
Not to derail this thread but you don't need to be a student. Have a read of post 1 in the student deal thread.
Thanks, I assumed they would look for college ID. That is great to know if I find myself unhappy with meteor.
Thephantomsmask is offline  
24-03-2017, 07:00   #15
DopeTech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 5,293
Does anyone know if this offer is available in all stores nationwide?
DopeTech is online now  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet