Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Wintry spell with Snow and Ice warnings week of 20-3-17

• 19-03-2017 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

This is probally in response to the recent SSW.

A :Dnice Terribly cold wintery outbreak for next week.

To early to say but a very unstable easterly from Wednesday with a low in the Irish sea.

Maybe a lot of very wet snow Showers.

30n864j.png

ohkdfl.png

2qu0z0j.png

rstuok.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭pad199207

How is this "nice" ?

Seriously ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's march gway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,469 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Ah please. Firstly, what are you talking about, SSW? There was no SSW. There was a stratospheric warming which was not up to the standard of a SSW. Sorry, SSW is just a very technical and strict definition :cool:.

Secondly, it's March like. Go away snow. Roll on the settled, dry and warm weather of next weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

528Dam line covering Ireland Monday to Thursday. Ninja Snow Territory.

121sexj.png

2a5f61k.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it's kinda depressing we are getting this now, not 2 months ago. Hopefully there won't be many showers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

528Dam line covering Ireland Monday to Thursday. Ninja Snow Territory.

Was just going to put up that chart, wont be putting away the winter clothes yet!

IMO Will certainly see white mountain tops from this . As for lower lying snow there is a fair bit of precipitation predicted at various times and with those cold night time temperatures you would expect some snow during the dark hours. Temperature during the day would seem too high for snow to stick, possibly wintry sleety stuff. Will be watching out for Cb's tomorrow with a risk of hail and thunder. Interesting spell of weather.

4ArgV6x.gif

NEJQCDz.gif

8FMwJDQ.png

GRMtWFH.gif

0nJlV0S.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The Jet giving a helping hand bringing all that cold air mass over the country the week coming .

B3Z5pAe.png

Very cold 500 hPa Temps , polar low perhaps ?

jVchdYn.png

Looks like plenty of precipitation feeding down over the country at times.

5uUT3H7.png

The Jet giving a helping hand bringing all that cold air mass over the country the week coming .

B3Z5pAe.png

Very cold 500 hPa Temps , polar low perhaps ?

jVchdYn.png

Looks like plenty of precipitation feeding down over the country at times.

5uUT3H7.png

Its unfortunate that there is a lot of energy coming out of North America. But with this cold plunge the setting up of high pressure over us, we could also see a more prolonged cool period but with clear blue skies over Ireland later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I cant muster any enthusiasm for snow at this time of year, that might leave a dusting overnight, which is all gone by late morning the next day.

I'd muster excitement from a few hailstones at this stage. I feel sorry for all the primary school children here who are too young to remember 2010 in any detail, it hasn't snowed here in West Clare in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭highdef

The latest GFS charts for Tuesday night are stunning.....taking them with massive pinches of salt though. It's showing significant accumulations of snow in many parts, especially the midlands.

Arpege is not quite buying it however it is showing that the guts of a foot of snow will accumulate on the Dublin/Wicklow mountains next week.

Showers of sleet in the forecast for Dublin, Knock and Shannon airports from tomorrow evening, with Belfast even forecasting a chance of snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

YEAA, winter is coming, Again

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Snow very possible Monday night in to Tuesday to lowest levels and then a bigger chance of more prolonged frontal snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oh DEAR! And there I was thinking I need not buy any more coal this winter...

Looks........ cold...

From Met Eireann

"It will turn cold quickly after dark with frost setting in early tonight. There will be fairly widespread showers too, with some falling as sleet and snow even at low levels. They will be heaviest and most frequent in the western half of the country, where a few centimetres are likely, especially so on high ground. Lowest temperatures between +1 and -1 C., with icy patches also. Fresh southwesterly winds, will be strong and gusty along the Atlantic Seaboard and will quite blustery on northern coasts"

Could well see some snow here in West Clare this evening!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    From Met Eireann

"It will turn cold quickly after dark with frost setting in early tonight. There will be fairly widespread showers too, with some falling as sleet and snow even at low levels. They will be heaviest and most frequent in the western half of the country, where a few centimetres are likely, especially so on high ground. Lowest temperatures between +1 and -1 C., with icy patches also. Fresh southwesterly winds, will be strong and gusty along the Atlantic Seaboard and will quite blustery on northern coasts"

Could well see some snow here in West Clare this evening!

Two squally icy showers up here in the last hour; rainbow and bitter wind.

West Connemara; 400 asl, with steep mountains sheer behind the cottage.

M6 Buoy Report Dew Point 0.3C already.

317i1jt.png

Some cold air coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Beefier looking cloud moving inland here in Kerry now.

oBX6Yhg.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭pad199207

Met Eireann warning for Snow overnight

Dublin airport forecasting a chance of moderate snow showers from 4am to 12pm.

Shannon airport forecasting temporary moderate snow showers from 9pm tonight to 9am tomorrow.

Cork airport has a chance of both snow showers and sleet showers from 5am to 12pm.

Knock airport has temporary sleet from 9pm and snow from 1am.

National Weather Warnings

Met Eireann

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Ireland
    Showers of snow are expected at times overnight and during Tuesday morning. Some accumulations are likely, 1 to 3 centimetres locally, but possibly more on hills and mountains in the western half of the country.
    Some dangerous driving conditions can be expected as road temperatures are likely to be close to freezing or below. Valid from 20/2000 to 21/1200.

Issued:Monday 20 March 2017 09:00
    Valid:Monday 20 March 2017 20:00 to Tuesday 21 March 2017 12:00

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Shower of heavy sleet/hail just now(castlebar)

Looking very cold tonight, all depends on the amount of precipitation now.

GneaY6P.png

GylmKol.gif

PUr2vxW.png

B6dlJO4.png

Looks like a good share of precipitation tomorrow evening too...

gMrkib3.png

I see!

Well, I was going out tomorrow but will think again.. the track up here has sheer drops on one side and rocks on the other. One skid...

Crazy weather; the corrugated roof here ticks when the sun is out and it is singing its erratic tune now but that wind has ice on its breath.

No one seems ... enthusiastic this time?

Quite breezy into the evening and overnight giving a fair windchill

8N2XBzn.png

VVii8U6.png

kHGeAFq.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Kamili

Graces7 wrote: »
    I see!

Well, I was going out tomorrow but will think again.. the track up here has sheer drops on one side and rocks on the other. One skid...

Crazy weather; the corrugated roof here ticks when the sun is out and it is singing its erratic tune now but that wind has ice on its breath.

Its supposed to be spring. Daylight savings changes at the weekend too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Graces7 wrote: »
    I see!

I think we've gotten our hopes up too many times Grace. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

wasnt really taking heed of this as just though the usual wind wintry shower mix of March where even if its snow it just blows away. But you guys are all up on this so maybe we might get something out of it though I fear Ill be telling my kids in the morning "well it snowed in Ballymote and Tubbercurry" but wer too near the sea. Alternatively the opposite sometimes occurs and we in Sligo get the old morning snow that melts by 10am

For sure its going to be ficeen freezing this week as Winter has a late blast

In the past hour the temp has dropped to 5.6c still dropping

Advertisement