Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

17-12-2016, 10:29   #76
Whiskey Expert: Stephen
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgfuller View Post
Any plans for a peated whiskey ?

Can you tell us of any interesting/unique/new releases coming in 2017 ?

Have you had any distillations go wrong since restarting production ?

What is the most expensive whiskey in your personal collection/drinks cabinet or ever tasted (and was/is it worth it)?

What is your current favorite whiskey in your personal collection/drinks cabinet ?
Thanks for the questions.

Answers below.

Any plans for a peated whiskey ? -we have actually already distilled some peated malt in Dublin. It was a heavier PPM than we had used before. We have laid it down in interesting casks so based off the distillate which was quite floral we are fascinating to see what the outcome will be! Dublin's first Peated Malt. Any suggestions for a name??

Can you tell us of any interesting/unique/new releases coming in 2017 ?

We will be continuing the Revival series with volume 3 & 4 due next year. These will be hand selected casks of single malt that we have finished in very unique casks. Volume 3 should be out at the start of February 2017 and we have picked some Pineau de Charantes cask to finish our aged malt in. This is a phenomenally spicy malt and is a departure from the fruit bombs of volume 1 & 2.

We also have a number of collaborations release due out in 2017 with like minded producers from all around the globe. 2017 will be one of the most exciting years yet for new releases.

Have you had any distillations go wrong since restarting production ?

- when we first started distilling again in Dublin it took a while to get our new make distillate correct. We were pulling together equipment from Italy, Germany, Ireland and Scotland so there was always going to be difficulties in getting started. What you are looking for is Dublin pot still fruit & spice characteristics but with a smooth/subtle taste which isn't easy to achieve while distilling malt or single pot still. We have also innovated in terms of a unique yeast strain we are using which is a blend of white wine/distillers yeast to produce a very fruity wash. Making whiskey is not an automated procedure so you are constantly having to adjust & augment the process.

What is the most expensive whiskey in your personal collection/drinks cabinet or ever tasted (and was/is it worth it)?

I got an opportunity once to taste a Dalmore 62 which i believe is the world's most expensive single malt? I personally felt it had spent too much time in the cask and had too much oak. I have always been a firm believer that age statement doesn't predicate quality. Some of the most enjoyable whiskeys i have drank have been young and vibrant.

What is your current favorite whiskey in your personal collection/drinks cabinet ?

Our newest Revival which is finished in a Calvados cask is probably my current favorite. It's has a huge amount of green fruit which i believe complements the underlying malt.

Outside of Teeling Whiskey range i have recently been enjoying a Kentucky straight bourbon called Basil Hayden which was gifted to me by Fred Noe of Jim Beam
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-12-2016, 10:53   #77
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnio13 View Post
Having not done the tour yet, is there any part of the new distillery that is from the original?

Having appreciated the Teelings single malt I find the story of the 24 and 33 yr old single malt fascinating. Its something I'd love to have in my collection but I'll settle for the 13yr Revival for now. When designing the packaging, bottling, booklets how much involvement Stephen do you or your brother have in the process? (Given that its as much a designer product as a collectable whiskey).
Thanks for the questions - answers below

No we completely rebuilt the distillery from scratch. We would of loved to go back to our original family distillery on Marrowbone Lane however it had been knocked down & rebuilt as an apartment block.

When rebuilding our family distillery we kept the original building at the back to construct the distillery. . Newmarket was a perfect location as it is rigo ht in the heart of the Liberties and a stones throw away from where the original family distillery was. There was once so much whiskey produced in this area it was dubbed the golden triangle and it was home to 37 separate distilleries. The area was a powerhouse for whiskey production in Ireland and it was a perfect fit for what we were trying to do.

A famous character from the Liberties called 'Bang Bang' used to live where our distiller's office is. We named our bar after him. More info on the distillery here - www.teelingdistillery.com Looking forward to you coming in to check it out.

As it is our family name on the whiskey we are involved from start to finish with the selection of the whiskey, the design of the product and ultimately when to bottle it. We can take guidance from designers but we have a lot of ownership of the look and feel. Designers are usually very good at delivering as long as you give them a very tight brief. We know what we want and work with the designer to achieve it.

Cheers!
17-12-2016, 10:57   #78
antodeco
Subscriber

What do you feel has been the biggest influence to the modern flavours of whiskey, versus whiskeys of 100 years ago?
17-12-2016, 11:04   #79
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
When you are creating a new whiskey can you 'aim' for a flavour or do you vary the distillation process and see what you get? I realise that sounds a bit simplistic but its the only way I can think to put it.
That is a good question.

Getting back into production we have been able to innovate in the cereals we use (malted barley, unmalted barley, peated malt), the water (natural well on site), the yeast (unique strain we selected), the fermentation process (wooden & steel) and also how we run our 3 pot stills.

Each element will have an influence over the end product so we are always constantly innovating with new & exciting processes. We have a very young distilling team who like to experiment and also push the boundaries on what has done before within Irish whiskey.

When deciding on a spec we do a lot of analysis on the distillate to see what is driving the fruit, spice and subtle flavors. To get the spec right you have to do a lot of trial and error. It took us nearly 4-6 weeks to get our production to hit the spec we wanted.

You should come in to check out the distillery as you get to see all the elements that goes into whiskey production.

Cheers!
Stephen
17-12-2016, 11:09   #80
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnacha View Post
Outside of the US where are you seeing major growth in international sales?
Outside the U.S. the big drivers will come from markets like Germany, France, Ireland and Australia.

There is a big potential in emerging markets like Asia/South America and Russia however that will come in 3-5 or 7-10 years.

The short term growth will come from more mature markets where a new generation of whiskey drinkers are starting to discover Irish whiskey again.

It's an incredibly exciting time to be involved and we are only scratching the surface of what we can achieve in Irish whiskey around the globe!

Cheers
Stephen
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-12-2016, 11:13   #81
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev De rev View Post
My brother loves Jack Daniels and I just spotted Jack Daniels guitar Gift set. Don't think it could be got in Ireland. Do ye have it?
Sorry I misunderstood the brief :-) thought it was someone from the off license I was asking a question to.
I rarely drink whiskey so which of your whiskey would you recommend? I do like my craft beers if that's any help.
If you are not a big whiskey fan i would say our Teeling Single Grain is a good starting point. If you pair this with a fruity IPA like Metal Man MoonBeam you should be on to a winner or alternatively Dot Brew Session Rye Ale.

We do a collaboration with Galway Bay Brewery for their legendary 200 fathoms stout craft beer which we then finish one of our whiskeys in our casks with. Could be another one to check out in all of their bars (against the grain, beermarket, black sheep, brew dock etc or at our distillery?

Cheers
Stephen
Thanks from:
17-12-2016, 12:04   #82
ger vallely

I am a reluctant beer drinker. I really like the idea of drinking a nice whiskey instead. But I don't like mixing alcohol with soft drinks, as in cola and fizzy orange drinks. Any suggestions for a hopeful whiskey beginner?
17-12-2016, 12:17   #83
DFS UTD

Do you see a trend emerging with Whiskey, like the huge growth in organic Gin distillers?

I notice that the Dublin Airport duty free has a major display if Irish Whiskies (including Teelings YUM!) - Has this helped in the growth of your brand?

On the flip side - there is very little brandy on offer in Dublin Airport - Is Irish brandy in decline because of the growth of Irish Whiskey?

Gin seems to become a major growth trend - do you have any plans to branch out from Whiskeys into other spirits (Brandy / Gin / Vodka)?
17-12-2016, 12:51   #84
Gatling

Stephen if you were recommending a whiskey for a newbie drinker what would recommend ,and what would be your personal go to choice for a glass or two
Advertisement
17-12-2016, 18:12   #85
rgfuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Expert: Stephen View Post
Any plans for a peated whiskey ? -we have actually already distilled some peated malt in Dublin. It was a heavier PPM than we had used before. We have laid it down in interesting casks so based off the distillate which was quite floral we are fascinating to see what the outcome will be! Dublin's first Peated Malt. Any suggestions for a name??
Many Thanks for your answers!
I have a couple of suggestions.

Teeling Whiskey - The Oisin
Teeling Whiskey - Lir (if there's some salt notes)
Teeling Whiskey - Mona
Teeling Whiskey - Bran or Ogma

Though I suppose you would need a name easy to pronounce globally.

Good luck - I'll be there to try them when ready in years ahead.
17-12-2016, 19:57   #86
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beer revolu View Post
Why do you think that the Irish whiskey market is so mindnumbingly conservative?
For nearly 50 years it was a monopoly in Ireland with 1 distillery making all the whiskey. Triple distilled, non peated blends was the only product produced at any great volume. Most Irish whiskey was consumed in Irish coffees or on the island of Ireland. No competition and monopoly power makes for a less than vibrant category.

That changed in the 1987 and like any industry it takes time to find your feet in particular around innovation. With large multinationals dominating the category innovation had been stifled however this is all changing. With more competition and new distillers, bottlers & old distilleries focusing on innovation as a key driver of success there is no other whiskey category that offers the same potential.

In the last 5 years the Irish whiskey category has undergone a massive shift change. We alone last year brought out 9 different expressions focused around unique casks, different bottling strengths, diverse mash bills and challenging the norms of what had been done before. In the 1980s/1990s Irish whiskey could of been described as conservative based around triple distilled blends however there is a new generation of whiskey producers now involved who are not governed by the same rules as before.

In our distillery we challenged the norm of yeast used in fermentation to create our own bespoke strain (blend of white wine yeast/distillers yeast), we have done 4 different mash bills - single malt, single pot still, peated malt & crystal malt (https://teelingwhiskey.com/2016/12/b...crystal-ball/) so we are anything but conservative.

Whiskey production and innovation take a long time but I foresee the next 5-10 years as a unique opportunity to show the world how exciting Irish whiskey can be.

Visit out distillery and talk to Alex Chasko, Max, Pauric & Paul to get inspired about what we can achieve in the category which has only just woken up out of a century long slumber! IMHO
(2) thanks from:
17-12-2016, 20:09   #87
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by denartha View Post
Thats actually incorrect. Jameson only stopped distilling in Dublin in 1972.
We are stating that we are the first new distillery to be built in Dublin for over 125 years not that there was no production in Dublin for the last 125 years.

Powers from the John's Lane distillery produced up until 1974 however when Irish Distillers Group formed all of the original Dublin distilleries were shut (Roe, Jameson, Powers) and moved down to the purpose built distillery in Cork. A lot of the Dublin distilleries in the late 1960s/1970s had reduced their capacity due to the industry facing huge challenges with some working off old inventory.

We are proud of the rich history of Dublin distilling and showcase not only our family history at our distillery but also the huge breath of other distilleries that were the power houses in the last golden era for Irish whiskey. William Jameson of the Jameson family actually took over our former family distillery which was incorporated into the huge Marrowbone Lane distillery.

You should visit and check out our exhibition area which houses some of the rarest & oldest artifacts from the a lot of the old Dublin distilleries - www.teelingdistillery.com
17-12-2016, 20:11   #88
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Osis of Liver. View Post
Was the Icon’s of Whisky Awards as much fun as it sounds?
It was brilliant to be acknowledged in a competition that used to be solely dominated by Scotch! Also at the Icon's of Whisky we got to meet some of the industry legends & inspirational distillers while also trying some of the world's best whiskey so all in all a great night.

Difficult morning after catching a flight back to Dublin!
Thanks from:
17-12-2016, 20:13   #89
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple hands View Post
Do ye like sandwiches?
Only if they are made from that kid out of Bad Santa!
17-12-2016, 20:17   #90
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiknonstop View Post
I've already done the distillery tour, is it ok to visit the bar without doing the tour?
Yes this is no problem.

Just ask the guys at reception to send you up & Graham, Luke and Louis will look after you at the bar.
Thread Closed