Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Year That was 2016

Options
  • 06-12-2016 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭

The time of year we reflect on the season and start thinking about the next. I'm very goal centric myself - but this year was a year that all went out the window for me due to a few things off the course.

Can't wait for 2017 and feel mentally ready to take on Category 1 in a serious way.

Please post your review of your year

Your highlights or lowlights

Got to my lowest ever handicap of 4 - so in theory it should be a brilliant year.

Entered the season in great form after serious winter work and had a few quick wins in tough conditions.

Not sure if it just got to me being that low, took the foot of the pedal, or was my off course problems - but game went , head went and then got the shanks, was comical stuff. Ended up struggling to break 90 at times. And playing well, I was finding it hard to get under 85 - never mind 80.

Ended the season well and looked like an actual golfer at times - plenty of work to go - but nice to turn a corner.

Your goals you achieved or failed

Got to my lowest handicap - failed to get to 2.5.

Your great shots your worst

When a season is so poor you forget the great shots, but towards the end of season started hitting intentional draws on certain par 3s - and getting them close. I consider these my best shots - because to hit a shape intentionally is to me another level of golf - a level I couldn't have imagined 3 years ago - a fade is harder work for me , but have played them too.

worst
    Shanks - serious stuff.

Your best day on the course , you worst.

Had a bad year - so again, interesting how your days on the course can be less memorable - but golf at times can be a great escape - had lovely days out in Corballis - Baltray - Portmarnock Links - very enjoyable day out in Rosslare teaching the father in law golf - played golf in the caribbean and that is nice to be on the list of done that. A couple of the boards outings were great fun and I loved a society outing I had in Tipperary - more the craic and company that one.

Worst
    Definitely the day I realised I had the shanks for the first time - I had also just got to my lowest handicap so was incredibly embarrassing- but I stuck it out and never lost the head - so can be proud of something .

Your plans and goals for 2017.

Well in 2016 - I seen that Cat 1 golf is another planet - (0.1) and small buffer , I also experienced that the jump from 6 to 4 is big and players below 4 are another level again.

So I guess that naivety I had up to this point, is gone.

I have lots of plans to get a bit fitter this year.

But a big plan for me is to have a few par rounds in competition - I haven't done that yet. I've been very close (+1,+2,+3) - I've broken par in practice - but all them times - I am playing totally out of my skin. So I am not going to underestimate the task. I have a greater respect for par now. If you have weak aspects of your game over 18 holes you are typically found out 3/4 times - this can be enough to have you 6 over par and chasing your tail.

I can play golf well at times , but not well for long times.

Anything Else

I learnt in 2016 - that you as a person off the course has a big impact on it. I would have laughed at that 4 or 5 years ago. But I learnt the hard way this year.

I am in a far better position to improve now - I know more about the game and am lucky to have a fantastic network of friends in the game now - some of these are top players and even know a few pros that get me and the head too.

I know more about the game and about the swing - I have everything I need location wise , equipment wise and support wise. There is no excuses really.

Looking forward to 2017 and embracing a little more, the so many positive things I have going for me inside and outside the game.

2016 - "Annus Horribilis". :)
    2017 - "Annus Mirabilis" . :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Highlights

Playing the Barton Shield for the first time and not humiliating myself. My partner played great and we managed to shoot a very respectable score, always an achievment in foursomes strokes! Also threw in a good performance at the Senior Cup in late June. Won my 1st match well and on the verge of winning my 2nd before a very bizarre conclusion led to a half match being declared! Hardly missed a long shot over the 2 matches, so even with a cold putter, it was an encouraging couple of days.
    Finishing 3rd in the Captains Prize. Always doubted my ability to compete in this as a low (ish) man but only lost by 3 in the end. Maybe some day
    Winning the POY and the Gross Aggregate in my club. With scores from all the counting comps now being uploaded, I was able to track how I was getting on and since I was behind in the former with 2 events to go, it was a real thrill to shoot a couple of respectable numbers to sneak in!
    Equalling my best score ever twice during the year. Although only once off the back tees..

Lowlights
    Losing in the final of the Scratch cup. Was happy for my opponent who had never won the event before but very disappointed with how poorly I played.

Getting beaten up again by Royal County Down. Not good enough to play that place :(

A disaster of a 2nd round at the Luttrellstown Scratch Cup. Humiliating not an overstatement.

Goals

Only real goal was to think I got better. Handicap down fractionally and chipping much improved from last couple of years. Il take it.

Best shots and worst

Remember a couple of decent shots but not the most consequential so will go for a couple that were produced that had significance. First was a 6 foot putt for par on the 4th hole in the Barton Shield. Downhill, lightning fast and came after a very poor tee shot from me. Partner hit a good chip and I knocked it in. A real nerve settler, played and putted solid thereafter
    Also, a 25 footer on 17 at the Senior Cup to go 1up. Had putted pretty awful all day but had gotten it to 3 up after 12 in spite of this. Then opponent won 13 14 and 16 to square the match so was starting to lose momentum. Hit two really good shots on to the green and poured it in to grab it back. A great feeling

Worst shot harder to pinpoint. It took me 5 shots to extricate myself from a fairway bunker on the 7th at Luttrellstown on my way to a 10. Level par to plus 8. Maybe one of those.

Best day on course

Annual excursions to Ballybunion, Tralee and Royal County Down with bros, dad and uncle. Golf was awful but craic mighty. Also shooting 67 gross on day 2 of the Captains to come 3rd.

Worst day

Luttrellstown rd 2. Uch.

Goals 2017

First nipper on the way so have to be realistic. Hoping to strike a balance between her and maintaining the ridiculous amount of golf Im accustomed to. Could happen.

Anything else

Just to keep trying on every shot and see where it gets me. Have a couple of scratch cups Ive my eye on so looking forward to doing a bit better in those than in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

As always Fix, an excellent read. Here is my thoughts on 2016....

Your highlights or low lights 
    After nearly 10 years at my old club, I moved to New Forest last December. It is a course well known to a lot of boardsies having visited it recently. It's a course that will chew you up and spit you out if your game is anyway off. So it was a move filled with a little trepidation.

It proved to be a tough year on course. I only beat my handicap once all year, a very memorable 81 (net 69) in the June medal. Didn't win the medal (one thing on my bucket list!) but did finish second. Followed it up with another cut the following week, something that is exceptionally rare for me. It got me down to 11.8, my lowest ever handicap. Two weeks later went on summer holidays and despite my best efforts I just couldn't get continue the form when I got back.

Sadly turned out to be the highlight of the year. I then went on a terrible run of 8 or 9 0.1s in a row. Confidence was shot and developed a dose of the yips. The amount of putts I missed of less than 3 feet this year is totally unacceptable and something I have to sort out over the winter.

Started the year at 12.3, finished at 12.8. Not too bad I suppose but it's the first year in maybe 5 or 6 years that I finished higher than I started. 

Temporarily got to my lowest handicap 11.8- but failed to get to target of 10.4.

Got some new irons earlier in the year, fitted for me. First time ever doing this. Worked very well. Hit some tremendous irons at times throughout 2016. But ironically best shot I remember is just a few weeks ago. Hit a peach of a rescue from 190 out onto the green. Hitting woods off the deck is something that has always been a real problem for me so it is always nice when they work out.

Worst shots- some pretty pathetic short putts as mentioned above, but my chipping this year was not great, something else to work on over the winter.  

Something I'm trying to force myself to remember is that every moment on a golf course is a great moment. Problem for years was beating myself up when things aren't going well. Now I tell myself I get so little time to play that I need to relax and enjoy.

Worst moment of the year was in the green keepers challenge, stroke play off the back sticks and tough pin positions. Scored 113 off 13. Worst score of my adult golfing life. I actually took a picture of the card to remind myself that things could always be worse! I made sure I entered it into the computer to save it for future reference!

Work really hard on my short game, and hopefully win a competition at the club. Do these things and the handicap will look after itself. I know I'm good enough to play off single figures but too many sloppy shots around the greens. Real target for 2017.

Anything Else

Not really, just relax more and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Hightlight was winning captains day at my club, won it with the lowest gross score for the two days, so that just made it that bit sweeter.

Had my first every eagle on day 2 of captains also.

Lowlight was losing my Ulster Cup match, didn't even realise mine was the pivotal match and I could have and should have done better.

My goal for 2015 was to get to single figures and I didn't achieve it. my goal for 2016 was just to play like a steady 11/12 handicapper.
    Well I done that and got to 8, it wasn't the goal I set, but I'll take it.

Best shot was on the 16th of a singles match, we were level and I had 165yards to an elevated green from the left semi with a tree between me and the pin.
    Played the most perfect draw around the edge of the tree and landed about 6ft right of the pin.
    It helped that both captains and a few team members were standing behind the green and it even got a clap from them.

Worst was one of my many many s***ks

Played a society outing to Ballyliffin old course in February, it was like a summers day, just a great days golf and great craic too.

Worst, anyday playing golf is a good day.

My goal should be to get my handicap lower, but I only play once a week and I never practice now, so my goal is just to stay in single figures.

Anything Else

Work is starting a new society in 2017, so will be joining that and maybe it will help the networking, I'm fairly new to the company (starting at the bottom) and its huge, so maybe golf will help my career :)
    That's what I'm telling my wife anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Won twice this year, Sunday singles and a Medal. The Medal is obviously better than the Sunday singles but for me the latter was more enjoyable as I had the best round I have ever played even in practice 2 over gross (44 pts).

I don't really have a low point as it was a good year, maybe it was around mid summer when my putting went to sh1te altogether, triggered by missing a few easy putts but it really shattered my putting confidence for ages and it's one part of my game that when I have a bad shot I find it hard to recover from.

I only joined a club in April this year at 14 HC and my goal was to get to single figures and I finished the year at 6 HC so really happy with that although some days I find it really tough and difficult to compete but it's still enjoyable.

Too many bad ones :) but the ones that really hurt looking back are the ones where I played the wrong shot and they didn't come off when a more straight forward shot was by far the correct one.

Best shot wasn't anything too brilliant but probably most memorable. I was playing into a driving gale with about 180 yard left. Took out my 18 Hybrid, went down the shaft and hit the sweetest straight low shot to about 8 feet, I missed the putt but we won't go into that :)

Your best day on the course , your worst.

Best: As above, winning the Sunday singles with best ever gross.

Worst: Probably the week after the above comp. Had a right few scoops the night before and shot a miserable 17 pts :eek:

To get down to 5 and to stay down there as I'm not very consistent as a golfer at the moment. I can burn up the course or not but I'm not having as many off days as I used to so I am getting more consistent.

I already practice a fair bit but when the brighter evenings come back I'm really gonna put in the time and effort into practice especially more short putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Big year being a daddy for first time! But being a member for first time, and playing *most* weekends for the first time too, has helped my game.

Lowlights
    continued bad putting.

No HC at year start. Set target at 11.0 and got to 11.6 at lowest. So close to playing off 11 :)
    Drifted to 12.1 now.

Nearly made ace on a short par3 last weekend. Hit some nice long irons and hybrid to green over the year. Some better chipping this year too.

worst
    On par5 17th, 1down in a club match, just off green in two with 30y chip left. Shank. Lost hole and match. That stayed with me and helped me improve chipping.

Putting off the green on the 17th in jug match to loose the hole and the match.

Won strokes medal. Enjoyed boards games immensely. The jug was fantastic.

Worst
    Bad run of +1's.

Your plans and goals for 2017
    Single figures is the goal. Have a set of gear that works well for me now. As a daddy, time is now more precious then ever before, this is not a bad thing as it means every moment I get on the course is a special treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Got an opportunity to rejoin my old club after 4 years of not playing golf. Having struggled at the start of the year, got something to click around July. Funnily enough, this coincided with me becoming a single man! I managed to beat my handicap 3 weeks out of 4 and got me down to my lowest handicap of 7.6. Also got to the semi final of the Club Matchplay but sadly didn't produce my best on that day.

Overall a good year on the course and have a good understanding of areas I need to improve one

Started the year at 9.8, finished at 7.8. After 4 years out of golf, I am pleased that I was able to get to lower than when I finished

Goal was single figures so achieved.

Got a lot of consistency and distance with the Woods. Off the tee and on the deck. Previously would have laid up to the Par 5s, more confidence to go for them in two if within realistic distance. Putting remains inconsistent though and requires some work but feeling more confident than I ever had on the greens. Good putting usually results in me getting good scores.

Worst shots- Mid irons. Catching them fat too often. Chipping also very poor at times

Best round on the course was shooting a 77 in the medal and getting cut down to 8. One of the days where everything clicked.
    Best day on the course was in the blistering sunshine, a week before the club held the Curtis Cup and the course was in pristine condition. Was a joy to play

Worst moment of the year was in the semis of the Club Matchplay. Had a shocker despite being 1up through 4. Match finished on the 14th

Work hard on short game. Get cut to 6 and make one of the club teams.
    Play golf abroad and more opens

Anything Else
    Continue to enjoy the game and get to know more members

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

My best year so far. Went into the year trying to have a different attitude, to be a little less hard on myself. In the main it worked.

Started the year on 10.4, went to 11 and finished at 7.8.

5 wins, one being Captains Prize and another being a medal. So all in all I really good year.

With the **** I am playing now it seems a world away.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Highlight had to be winning the Boards outing in Castlemartyr. 42 points, and only 1 scratch, both records for me. And also had 2 birdies, again a record for me.

The lowlight is definitely the amount of Golf I played, I played in 6 counting competitions this year. Between a new job and new house there wasn't any time to play unfortunately, and now that all that has settled down it's Winter, typical.

Wanted to get from 22 to 18, failed at it, but didn't play enough to even make a stab at it.

My second on the 9th in Castlemartyr, 50 degree wedge from the right edge of the fairway. The ball was nestled up against the cut, and played it to about 3 inches. Also my second on the 18th in Castlemartyr, 7 iron from just outside the 150 mark, dead centre of the fairway, played it to about 4 feet, and made the putt for a 5 point birdie.

worst
    Don't think I played enough to have a worst shot, was just happy to be out most of the time.

I was just happy to be able to get out any day that I did, so they were all good for me.

I want to get to below 18, and have now joined Powerscourt for 2017, and live relatively local so want to make a good stab at getting down to 16. I should be able to get out and practice multiple times a week.

Anything Else

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Goals achieved

Wanted to get to 9 from 14 & managed to get to 8. I don't go to the range and the only practice I get in is a few chips and putts before heading to the 1st tee so very happy with that.

Memorable shot

Drive on 1st in Purcell. I've played a lot of sport but never experienced nerves like it. I had trouble getting the ball on the tee! Though we were beaten in the first round we were 2 up in our match when called in.

Best day on the course

Breaking 80 for first time followed a few weeks later with a 75 (which included a double bogey on 18)

Goals for 2017

Hard to say. Can't see myself doing much practicing so not too sure what to expect. I'd be happy with a bit more consistency

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

The weirdest golf year for me since I started playing this game...
    Put a lot of practise in over the winter months with a new Pro (again probably my 10th over the years :D)

Highlights

Went away in April on a golfing holiday down to Cork, With 2 societys combined that go away every year mainly to Spain & Portugal but this year they decided on Home soil.

The venue
    Fota Island both courses then Cork GC then back to Fota the championship course.. Best 3 scores out of the 4 rounds is crowned the winner of a mini ryder jug (but still big) about €200 and some prises etc.. If you win 1 day your cut 4 shots, 3 for second, 2 for 3th, 1 for 4th..

About 20 lads some seriously golfers and I won it!! I lead from second day on playing off 17 then 14 then 12 finished with 11... Not only was winning a big deal but scoring with these Handicaps was better for me as I'm off 20 in my club! and scored in the 30's each round apart from Cork (had 16pts 26 won it) but everyone was bad, as its a course you really have to know.. but had a best score of 34 pts off 14 in fota with seriously pressure on... and "didnt bottle it".. It was like an out of body experience ha! Had an eagle which I meant no luck involved and a bird in that round too...

Best Shot

A few stand out my eagle was a thing of beauty in Fota 5th hole (I think) creamed my driver with a lovely draw centre of fairway.. Said I chance my 3 wood as have been practicing hard with it and my Pro reckons there's no reason I shouldnt be hitting it of the deck...nailed it.. middle of green 10 ft from pin.. bit of a right to left putt bam get in :D My confidence was high..

My best shot was probably on the last day my nearest rival was closing in.. I was playing steady considering the pressure on me (these lads are way better golfers than me) needed 4 points to win the whole comp.. Over hit my drive into some trees on 17.. but was about 60/70 yards from green.. visualised to punch a 9I out, bouncing a couple of feet in front of green and rolling on.. Picture perfect!! 2 putt par..(lipped out for a birdie..) plus my ball was lying on hard muck in the trees!! After that the nearest challenger fell apart and boogied the hole from fairway...

Worst

Sadly not long after that I hurt my elbow in training and didnt play for most the summer...Missing most boards outings as well.. Really was disheartening considering I was playing the best golf since taking up the game...

Started lessons again.. Didnt take me long to pick up where I left off since I hadn't hit a ball in months.. few tweaks.. I understand my bad shots now and what Im doing wrong..

So 2017

I just want my handicap down as I know Its just in my head as Fota proved and that is a Championship course as you all well know.. not going with a number just want it to drop by few shots.... Plus as lads said when you can't play you really appreciate when you do play even the bads days.. I think this may be one of the best things I have learned playing this beautiful game... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Your highlights or low lights:
    2 Monthly Medals (my first ever)
    Lowest Handicap Ever (3.5)
    First ever hole in one
    Shooting +4 in Enniscrone
    No stand out lows – losing in 1st round in Barton Cup was probably my lowest day on the course

Reached my handicap goal 4.0 early in the year, have drifted between 3.5 and 4.5 ever since

Best is easy – my Hole in One
    A couple of horror 4 putts spring to mind

Your best day on the course, you worst.
    June Medal (+2)
    Sep Medal (+16)

Try and get handicap below 3.5
    Play as much as I did in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Shooting +4 in Enniscrone

:eek::eek:

Outstanding - very hard finish too there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Firstly, good man Fixed for a great thread. My favourite thing about this time of year are these reviews!

Couple of highlights come to mind, playing in the Purcell and the enjoyment had in that. We only had the bare panel of players and about 3 supporters so it was a real feel good factor when we won our first round after going to the 20th hole in the anchor leg.
    Taking our opponents and eventual area winners all the way in the anchor match on the same day in the semi final is another good memory as well as bad. When you hole out for birdies to half matches tells its own story. Myself and my partner having our handicaps cut this year from 13 & 14 to 10 & 11 and still only hanging on to these guys makes it a lowlight as well as a highlight. first time the pair that beat us have ever been taken to the 18th in 6 years of playing Purcell apparently. The craic i had with the team outshines it all though

A gross +3 off 14 got me a big cut, first time ever had 4 birdies in a round. Round had scope for being better too which gives confidence that the handicap can go lower too.

My dad winning the minor scratch cup was great too cos he loves his golf and he never wins anything!

Played really well in Tralee Intermediate scratch for first time playing on a lovely day once the fog lifted!

Won our work golf outing playing with the CEO in a team comp getting myself a nice new M2 driver as a reward!

The ****e weather at the start of the year is a lowlight as it cost how many weeks of golf

Got cut to 11 for a drop of 3 shots in the year which was great. Had aimed to get to single figures which was probably an overly optimistic target.

Purcell in the first match, sunk a raker of a putt on 16 for birdie to level the tie, chipped in for birdie on 17 to bring us 1 up and then hitting a monster drive on 18 down the middle putting the opposition under serious pressure. Sticking my tee shot on the 20th hole in that match to 2 feet to secure the win another highlight.

worst

Started the year with a dose of the shanks due IMO to the lessons i was receiving!

Best was the gross +3 right in the middle of a spell of really good form bringing on a big cut for me.

Castlemartyr Scratch Cup taking just shy of 2.5 hours for 9 on the Friday evening meaning i had to abandon ship at that point despite scoring well

Make the Bruen team and get cut to single figures. Get playing a lot more early in the season so hopefully the weather stays onside.

Anything Else

Advertisement