Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Do you agree with minimum alcohol pricing?
I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland. 250 20.61%
I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government. 963 79.39%
Voters: 1213. You may not vote on this poll

29-11-2016, 00:19   #1
Commotion Ocean
Banned

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

The government are set to bring in minimum alcohol pricing.

A slab of 24 cans will have a minimum price of €48 and a bottle of spirits will be a minimum of €28.

Ultimate nanny state bolloxogy and pandering again to the vitners association.

I'm on touch site, so link to follow.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1124/83...research-rcsi/

(Misspelling in the headline ... no surprises coming from that North Korean unionised crap rag anyway.)

This is absolute nonsense in my opinion. Even the cheapest of beers (shop own brand) will have to be sold at €2 per can (1 Euro per unit of alcohol). Naggins will be a minimum of €8, 70cl bottles will be €28, cans of beer €2 and a whopping €40 for a litre of spirits.

We are heading on a slippery slope towards a fascist Nazi-style dictatorship. Ireland is a First World country, I believe in capitalism. If someone over the legal drinking age wants to buy a can of beer at 50 cents and a shop is offering the cans at such a price, then why should a Hitler-style government stop them?

Last edited by Commotion Ocean; 29-11-2016 at 00:48.
(107) thanks from:
323, acequion, ahnowbrowncow, AllForIt, Al_Coholic, ams, Atlantic Dawn, avfc1874, BabysCoffee, banquo, beertons, BeerWolf, BillyBobBS, Blowfish, bmc58, Brand New User, BuilderPlumber, b_mac2, CerebralCortex, certifiedcrepe, Chancer3001, citrus burst, clancywigam, coolisin, Damien360, dartboardio, deadlineday, Deebles McBeebles, deepsouthtalla, DefinitelyMarc, delboythedub, Demonique, denartha, dr.fuzzenstein, Drakares, DS86DS, dublincelt, erica74, fin12, Flying Fox, foggy_lad, Foxhound38, frag420, Gerrup Outta Dat!, gmisk, golondrinas, HalloweenJack, howamidifferent, i8mancs, ikeano29, industrialhorse, Jade182, JCX BXC, Jimmy Garlic, jmreire, johnnybmac, kittyclaws, klaz, Knex., Koolhanger, Larbre34, Lukekul, MANUTD99, Max Power 2010, Meaty Mondays, mikeym, mmouse, MrBlack93, Muckie, olliesgirl55, One_Of_Shanks, Oodoov, PopePalpatine, previous user, punk_one82, Richard Hillman, Right2Write, RipplesInThe Rockpool RipplesIn TheSea, Roddy23, Rory28, RoyalMarine, sdanseo, Sgt Hartman, Shankly Gates, Skill Magill!, skrrob, Stark, storker, Suckit, SuperS54, TallGlass, Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo, The Niece, The Prince of Cumberland, thebag89, TheDavester, theflash, Tockman, topcat77, Umekichi, Unemployable Alcoholic, UrbanSprawl, Ush1, VinLieger, vintac34, WoollyRedHat, Wrongway1985
Advertisement
29-11-2016, 00:23   #2
FortySeven

I doubt the vitners are celebrating. Look what tobacco price hikes have done for smoking.
(2) thanks from:
29-11-2016, 00:26   #4
Surreptitious

Doomed.
Thanks from:
29-11-2016, 00:27   #5
london bus 200
Banned

LETS AGREE AND SAY, LOK A IT YHE OTHER WAY ANDU AND I HAVE HAVE GOT THIS GOT COMPLETELY, WRONG, ITS THE WAY TEH ENTIRE WORLD FUNTIONS, WE CANT JUST HAVE A BUNCH OF CITIXENS AND WE KNOW NOHTING ABOUT THEM,
Advertisement
29-11-2016, 00:30   #7
Pinch Flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by london bus 200 View Post
LETS AGREE AND SAY, LOK A IT YHE OTHER WAY ANDU AND I HAVE HAVE GOT THIS GOT COMPLETELY, WRONG, ITS THE WAY TEH ENTIRE WORLD FUNTIONS, WE CANT JUST HAVE A BUNCH OF CITIXENS AND WE KNOW NOHTING ABOUT THEM,
Nail on the head mate
29-11-2016, 00:30   #8
maudgonner

Go home to London, bus, you're drunk. (On cheap booze).
29-11-2016, 00:32   #9
Arghus

Quote:
He's speaking fluent 24 cans there.
(168) thanks from:
0ph0rce0, 2forjoy, 2smiggy, 9or10, aaronjumper, Agricola, AirBiscuit, Al_Coholic, ams, ArmaniJeanss, Armchair Andy, BabysCoffee, banquo, beertons, BeerWolf, beks101, BelovedAunt, BK92, bluewolf, Bracken81, Bunny Colvin, CB19Kevo, certifiedcrepe, challengemaster, checkyabadself, citrus burst, Collie D, Conservative, coolisin, Crackle, custom_build, DaaaaaaaaaaN, Damien360, DefinitelyMarc, Deja Boo, delboythedub, Delirium, Deub, Didas, Doctor Jimbob, dodgygeezer, donegal., dr.fuzzenstein, drake70, dublincelt, Duff, Edz87, electro~bitch, elfy4eva, ElWalrus, Encrypted Pigeon, feargale, fergus1001, Filmer Paradise, FortySeven, Foxhound38, frag420, Frigating, FTA69, fxotoole, gazump123, GhostyMcGhost, Gidea, Glico Man, GoneHome, gormdubhgorm, GritBiscuit, Gwynplaine, Hammar, Hector Savage, huddlejonny, Hulk Hands, IamMetaldave, IncognitoMan, Irish_rat, Iseedeadpixels, ItsGoosey, jackofalltrades, Jade182, jayobray, JCX BXC, jmreire, joeysoap, jos28, jwcurtin, Kerplunk124, Knex., LithiumKid1976, Lollipops23, madcabbage, MajesticDonkey, manonboard, Mark Rippetoe, marketty, massdebater, Max Power 2010, mayordenis, MentalMario, mfceiling, mirrorwall14, MOH, mollygreene, MrBlack93, Muckie, muppetkiller, murpho999, Murt10, ncmc, NDWC, OmegaGene, Outlaw Pete, P4DDY2K11, Penny Tration, pilly, PopePalpatine, PucaMama, pumpkin4life, Ragnar Lothbrok, rawn, Rikand, Rory28, RoyalMarine, Rx713B, scriba, ScumLord, selwyn froggitt, serfboard, shane9689, Shankly Gates, Shanotheslayer, Sierra 117, Sky King, SlipperyPeople, Smart Bug, Spazdarn, Special Circumstances, Specialun, Stigura, storker, Strumms, Stu Redman, Suckler, sugarman, sunny2004, SuperSean11, Table Top Joe, TallGlass, Tea-a-Maria, TerrorFirmer, That_Guy, The flying mouse, Third_Echelon, Toobz, topcat77, Turquoise Hexagon Sun, uch, Uinseann_16, Umekichi, UrbanSprawl, valoren, vandriver, VG31, Vowel Movement, wakka12, Whatsisname, Wheres Me Jumper?, xzanti, Zebra3
Advertisement
29-11-2016, 00:43   #10
Grayson

I think the guy is talking about refugees. 5 gazillion threads and he gets the one that isn't about muslims.
(2) thanks from:
29-11-2016, 00:49   #11
Commotion Ocean
Banned

Quote:
What ??
29-11-2016, 00:51   #12
FortySeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfeo View Post
What ??
Eh?
29-11-2016, 00:54   #13
Atlantic Dawn

Alcohol in Ireland is one of the most expensive in the EU, making it more expensive will only make the problem worse if you compare the lack of drink problems in countries where drink is a fraction of the cost of here.
29-11-2016, 00:58   #14
tipp_Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Dawn View Post
Alcohol in Ireland is one of the most expensive in the EU, making it more expensive will only make the problem worse if you compare the lack of drink problems in countries where drink is a fraction of the cost of here.
The cost wont go up in the Dáil bar me thinks somehow
29-11-2016, 01:00   #15
Zaph
A kick in the gulags

The poll is flawed as it doesn't cover enough options. As a nation we clearly do have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol and how we consume it. Not all of us obviously, but there is a significant portion of the population who do. However I completely refute the suggestion that minimum alcohol pricing is how this issue should be dealt with. Better education regarding alcohol and longer opening hours for pubs so people aren't binge drinking at the end of the night and then all spilling out onto the street at the same time as all the other binge drinkers. The same goes for off licences, there's no logical reason why it should be illegal to purchase alcohol for home consumption while the pubs are still serving.
(109) thanks from:
2smiggy, 9or10, ahnowbrowncow, ams, Arghus, BabysCoffee, Badly Drunk Boy, banquo, BeardySi, blue note, BuilderPlumber, Busyness1, Butterbeans, CB19Kevo, certifiedcrepe, charlietheminxx, citrus burst, Dave_The_Sheep, daymobrew, Deise Vu, Delirium, Demonique, denartha, Dfmnoc, Dom84, donegal., Dravokivich, dsagra, Dubl07, Eathrin, electro~bitch, FizzleSticks, Foxhound38, frag420, Frigating, fxotoole, Garzard, gitane007, Glico Man, golondrinas, Grandeeod, Grayson, GritBiscuit, Hector Savage, hidinginthebush, Homer J. Fong, howamidifferent, Iseedeadpixels, jackofalltrades, jackwigan, Jade182, JCX BXC, Jimmy Rabbitte Snr, jmreire, JollyBustard, Joseph, klaz, Knex., Lia_lia, listermint, livinsane, Lukekul, M5, Maximus Alexander, Michael D Not Higgins, mickoneill31, mikeym, mirrorwall14, MOH, mollygreene, ncmc, niallb, Oscar Bravo, paddywroks, Pat Mustard, pconn062, Penny Tration, PopePalpatine, problemnext, rgace, Roddy23, Rory28, rustynutz, Sarn, ShatterResistant, Sleepy, Smart Bug, Snickers Man, Stigura, Stu Redman, SuperS54, Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo, TerrorFirmer, the groutch, The Prince of Cumberland, the purple tin, TheChizler, thee glitz, tomofson, Umekichi, UrbanSprawl, Venom, VG31, vintac34, vmb, VonLuck, Vowel Movement, Wiggles88, wowy

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion