Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Summer Weather 2016

• 12-05-2016 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,469 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This weather really has given me the Summer vibes. It is very warm and sunny today that it just feels unseasonably warm here. I am still sticking to my same predictions from earlier this year that I set!

June: Dry and warm BUT the potential of thundery downpours at times.
    July: Dry, sunny and warm. Driest July in 27 years.
    August: Rather wet but sunny and warm again.

So overall according to these predictions, it will be a dry, sunny and very warm Summer.

In depth of warmth, I'd say:

June: +1.0 - +1.5c above normal
    July: +2.0 - +2.5c above normal
    August: +0.5 - +1.0c above normal

Summer overall would be: +1.0 - +1.5c above normal which would make it nearly as identical as Summer 2013 but not nearly as hot as 1995.

MT... what's your monthly predictions for the individual Summer months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,469 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

AccuWeather say we will have a washout Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sryanbruen wrote: »

Accuweather can't even get the weather right at the current moment! Lately my location has apparently been having thunderstorms alot. Haven't seen one yet:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

In other news the Popes Catholic and the earths round🙄

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Ive a feeling it will be an average summer, rain/showers most days, a few dry weeks with temps hitting 23C on a few days, maybe a few 25's in the west. Mostly 16-19C throughout.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Ive a feeling it will be an average summer, rain/showers most days, a few dry weeks with temps hitting 23C on a few days, maybe a few 25's in the west. Mostly 16-19C throughout.

So you're saying Summer 2015 all over again?

• Advertisement

According to this chart of my station, Grange's mean temperatures for each of its recorded summers, we are overdue another cool Summer because there have been too many warmer than normal summers - certainly does not feel that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I see IWO released their summer prediction this morning, an average of 0.5-1 degree higher with higher than average rainfall in the south and lower than average in the north. Spells of warm dry weather due to south easterly flows but these will be broken by spells of heavy rain from the southwest. Think I've gotten that right, this on their FB anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,800 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I see IWO released their summer prediction this morning, an average of 0.5-1 degree higher with higher than average rainfall in the south and lower than average in the north. Spells of warm dry weather due to south easterly flows but these will be broken by spells of heavy rain from the southwest. Think I've gotten that right, this on their FB anyway.

That's M.T Cranium too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Worth re-posting here. Here is MT's summer outlook:
    Summer 2016 Outlook -- A rather warm summer is predicted, with rainfall likely to be above normal values in the south, trending to below normal in Ulster. There will be occasional spells of very warm or hot weather when southeast winds develop around high pressure to the northeast. There will also be spells of near normal temperatures and frequent showers in southwest to west winds when lower pressure develops to northwest. These spells are expected to be roughly equal in frequency so that the summer will have alternating spells of warm/dry and cooler (although not very cool)/moist conditions. The heavier rain may develop when warm, dry spells break down to be replaced by cooler Atlantic intervals. Some severe thunderstorms are to be expected in that scenario and the inland south to southwest may be the most likely location. Overall, temperatures are expected to run about 0.5 to 1.0 degrees above normal from June to August with no large variation from that expected month to month. Rainfall may vary from 30% above normal in parts of the south to 10% below normal in the north. This reflects a trend expected in Britain where Scotland may have a very dry summer with 30 to 50 per cent below average rainfalls; the south of England will also be wet and northern France very wet (locally up to twice normal rainfalls). The same general temperature forecast applies in Britain, generally warm but more so relative to normal in Scotland. Final note, while the temperature forecast for Ireland (and Britain) is conservative, there is some chance of a warmer outcome still, taking the summer into the warmest 10% (at the more conservative levels I have mentioned, it would be warmer than 75% of recent summers). Expect the warmest weather in July and the first week of August.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

So you're saying Summer 2015 all over again?

bit similar but slightly warmer, last summer was particularly cold in the western half of the country from what I can remember. We didn't fair to badly in the east tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

Who on earth is James Madden and why is he saying there's a heatwave with record breaking temperatures next week? It's on the Sun website and even Joe.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭pad199207

Who on earth is James Madden and why is he saying there's a heatwave with record breaking temperatures next week? It's on the Sun website and even Joe.ie

oh hes nobody important

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The key words there are "the sun website" and Joe.ie"

This gombeen has made hundreds of forecasts, and I'd be surprised if even one has actually been correct.

So me and MT are predicting a Summer that is quite close to 1999 standards. Mind you, here's Summer 1999's summary if you did not know what that Summer was like:

June: Quite cool, dull and mainly wet in places.
    July: Very warm, sunny and dry in many places.
    August: Very wet in the south. Quite warm and mainly dull.

Would you think Summer 1999 was a good Summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Sun,rain,heat during summer months,a farmers and gardeners dream for growing crops, not for sunbathing for the holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Decent enough summer overall I reckon but nothing too exciting .Decent first half ,poorer second half.

I'm ambivalent when it comes to summer weather so I don't really care all that much, although i would not like a washout.

Well I'm not ambivalent at all about summer weather and dream of a repeat of 1995 or 1976.

Well I'm not ambivalent at all about summer weather and dream of a repeat of 1995 or 1976.

Well to have a month like July 1999 would be fine enough for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Or indeed 2013...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭pad199207

Proper summer downpour here in Naas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Dickie10

reports of a heatwave hitting us next weekend, any truth in this? supposed to be high pressure and air coming from south with azores high coming closer and jet stream moving north of us, would these conditions give usa heatwave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Dickie10 wrote: »
    reports of a heatwave hitting us next weekend, any truth in this? supposed to be high pressure and air coming from south with azores high coming closer and jet stream moving north of us, would these conditions give usa heatwave?

That's would be fantastic weather if its coming up to us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Dickie10

supposed to be high 20s to maybe 33 degrees in south of england we might get 25-27 in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭KungPao

Reports from where or whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

supposed to be high 20s to maybe 33 degrees in south of england we might get 25-27 in ireland
    If only!...
    Next week you can enjoy sunny spells and showers with a max temp in or around the 16C-18C mark. The south of England will do slightly better with highs of around 21C. Very typical late Spring weather. You can expect the same for the remainder of May and into early June.

:pac::pac::pac:. I hope you do not believe this because it's definitely fake.

25-27 degrees?????really????

25-27 degrees?????really????

:pac::pac:. Great sarcasm there.

the reality is next week will see temps struggle to get much past 16C with most places averaging 13-15C throughout next week, no heatwave here any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

A big volcano has erupted in Costa Rica, I think with the prevailing winds we could be seeing spectacular blood red sunsets this summer?
    It does of course depend on how long the eruption lasts. Something to keep an eye on.
    https://www.rt.com/news/343875-costa-rica-volcano-erupts/

Advertisement