Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-04-2016, 13:38   #1
pclive

College Green Plaza -- public consultation open

Public consultation now open:

http://www.dublincity.ie/college-green
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-04-2016, 14:06   #2
cgcsb

Backsliding on the taxi issue, how predictable.
11-04-2016, 14:41   #3
MJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclive View Post
Public consultation now open:

http://www.dublincity.ie/college-green
Is there any need for private cars to be able to travel east on Dame Street from Parliament Street under this plan? I ask, because that is going to be a very difficult left turn for buses from S Georges St.
11-04-2016, 14:42   #4
Spanish Eyes

Just an aside, but does anyone know why the Westbound buses (Lucan and beyond) are not ALREADY routed down Tara Street and Burgh Quay?

Westmoreland Street is like a bus depot at the moment, mad it is. And moving those Westbound buses would surely help.

Get us ready for the OFF (i.e. the real thing!).
11-04-2016, 14:44   #5
MJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Eyes View Post
Just an aside, but does anyone know why the Westbound buses (Lucan and beyond) are not ALREADY routed down Tara Street and Burgh Quay?

Westmoreland Street is like a bus depot at the moment, mad it is. And moving those Westbound buses would surely help.

I'd imagine Tara Street to Burgh Quay turn is nearly impossible for most buses in rush hour traffic.
Advertisement
11-04-2016, 14:50   #6
LXFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJohnston View Post
Is there any need for private cars to be able to travel east on Dame Street from Parliament Street under this plan? I ask, because that is going to be a very difficult left turn for buses from S Georges St.
Accessing car parks?

A retreated stop line on Dame St would be needed.
11-04-2016, 14:51   #7
Spanish Eyes

Quote:
I'd imagine Tara Street to Burgh Quay turn is nearly impossible for most buses in rush hour traffic.
Is that because of the light sequence or the volume of car traffic? A bus lane could be introduced on Tara Street and Burgh Quay surely. I think that might be on the cards anyway with the new traffic layout (no LHT onto Aston Quay).

Could be tried out for a while anyway, couldn't be any worse that the free for all on Westmoreland Street really.
11-04-2016, 14:51   #8
LXFlyer

Quote:

No bus priority measures on Tara St?
11-04-2016, 14:53   #9
cgcsb

A bus lane on Tara Street would certainly help things along.

The plan includes a left turn for buses from south quays onto Parliament st. That'll be a tight turn.

Also turning onto parliament st from either Dame or Lord Edward St could be a challenge considering the gradient involved.

Overall it's a decent solution, assuming that Bachelor's Walk, George's st and Burgh Quay have car bans that are actually enforced with hefty fines enforced through cameras and license plate recognition.
Advertisement
11-04-2016, 15:02   #10
MJohnston

Quote:
Is that because of the light sequence or the volume of car traffic? A bus lane could be introduced on Tara Street and Burgh Quay surely. I think that might be on the cards anyway with the new traffic layout (no LHT onto Aston Quay).

Could be tried out for a while anyway, couldn't be any worse that the free for all on Westmoreland Street really.
There's already a bus lane on Burgh Quay (mostly), but have a look at the layout:

What you'll get at rush hour is one of two things:

1. Lots of cars in the two regular lanes sort of but not really completely in the yellow box which would make the tight turn really difficult (but not impossible) for a bus while the cars are there (and they'd probably miss the green phase by the time the cars clear out).
2. Lots of coaches coming straight down the quays and filling up that bus lane (very quickly too thanks to the two traffic light junctions up ahead).

Yes, this will and can work with the broader traffic plan being implemented and freeing up Burgh Quay for PT only, but you were specifically why this doesn't happen *now*, and I think this is why.
11-04-2016, 15:04   #11
hmmm

It'd be great if we could declutter the place - the image on pg 7 of the presentation sums it up.

Where is that Westmoreland cycle track going? Hopefully it isn't stealing pedestrian space, there isn't enough as it is. And how do people access bus stops with a cycle lane in the way?

In general I'm all for a bold vision which this seems to be.
Thanks from:
11-04-2016, 15:05   #12
Spanish Eyes

Just heard something like an "official announcement" about bus and car traffic movements to facilitate the Plaza. That was on the 3 o'c news on RTE1 just now. Headlines mostly, so maybe it will be teased out more on the Drivetime shows later?
11-04-2016, 15:08   #13
Spanish Eyes

Quote:
There's already a bus lane on Burgh Quay (mostly), but have a look at the layout:

What you'll get at rush hour is one of two things:

1. Lots of cars in the two regular lanes sort of but not really completely in the yellow box which would make the tight turn really difficult (but not impossible) for a bus while the cars are there (and they'd probably miss the green phase by the time the cars clear out).
2. Lots of coaches coming straight down the quays and filling up that bus lane (very quickly too thanks to the two traffic light junctions up ahead).

Yes, this will and can work with the broader traffic plan being implemented and freeing up Burgh Quay for PT only, but you were specifically why this doesn't happen *now*, and I think this is why.
Thanks for the pic, makes it clearer alright.

I just can't see why the cars cannot be moved to the right before the junction there. Then a bus lane could exist all the way from Tara St to Burgh Quay.

Car restrictions will help.
11-04-2016, 15:12   #14
MJohnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
Where is that Westmoreland cycle track going? Hopefully it isn't stealing pedestrian space, there isn't enough as it is. And how do people access bus stops with a cycle lane in the way?
As a cyclist, I'd love to know too, because I hate the idea of having to pass a bunch of bus passengers in some fudged cycle lane (which tends to happen a lot in Dublin).

Also, this makes no sense to me:

How is that 14 stop (and the 15s perhaps too) not going to block the Luas?
Thanks from:
11-04-2016, 15:40   #15
Ciaran_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcsb View Post
A bus lane on Tara Street would certainly help things along.

The plan includes a left turn for buses from south quays onto Parliament st. That'll be a tight turn.

Also turning onto parliament st from either Dame or Lord Edward St could be a challenge considering the gradient involved.

Overall it's a decent solution, assuming that Bachelor's Walk, George's st and Burgh Quay have car bans that are actually enforced with hefty fines enforced through cameras and license plate recognition.

Up to a few years ago there was a left turn from the quays onto Parliament St. I wonder what buses will be routed down it now?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion