Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-03-2016, 12:22   #1
JustMac

Superthreads on Bargain Alerts

Hi, A few weeks ago a thread was started on Bargain Alerts about 'Clumping Bargains Together into Big Threads?' (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...?t=2057560229)

Following this I started a poll in Bargain Alerts to see how many people want Superthreads as the first thread was just a discussion and I wanted to quantify the feelings of others who use the forum. (Poll thread is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...?t=2057565487)

Is it possible to re-open that poll to continue to see what people prefer before mods can decide what they would like to do. There would be no new functionality required.

I was not aware that there was a feedback section. Is there any way to link to link to this thread from Bargain Alerts so that posters from that forum might know of the existence of this thread and be able to add a comment.
Advertisement
05-03-2016, 18:02   #2
Davy
Category Moderator

The 'Megathreads' are used for the likes of Argos, Tesco etc that have many different items on sale/ bargains and rather than posting a new thread for every single item those threads can be used.

The reason they were created in the fist place was from user feedback giving out about having 10 Argos threads on the first page for small little bargains.

The mega-threads do not have to be used by rule, if you think a bargain needs a thread of its own that is perfectly acceptable to post a new thread as it might have many questions about the item or that the saving is very large.

This way its a best of both. Getting rid of the chat and repeated questions in the threads totally, may help the megathreads like the Argos no chat thread.
05-03-2016, 20:41   #3
JustMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy View Post
The 'Megathreads' are used for the likes of Argos, Tesco etc that have many different items on sale/ bargains and rather than posting a new thread for every single item those threads can be used.

The reason they were created in the fist place was from user feedback giving out about having 10 Argos threads on the first page for small little bargains.

The mega-threads do not have to be used by rule, if you think a bargain needs a thread of its own that is perfectly acceptable to post a new thread as it might have many questions about the item or that the saving is very large.

This way its a best of both. Getting rid of the chat and repeated questions in the threads totally, may help the megathreads like the Argos no chat thread.
Many thanks for the quick reply.

I agree that superthreads may have come about as a result of user feedback but it would seem that they have exceeded their intended purpose.

I also agree with your suggestion that it is perfectly acceptable to post a new thread if it is felt to be appropriate/necessary. I have no problem with the superthreads for supervalu/lidl/UDemy/MrPrice/Tesco(Grocery)/Aldi etc. as they are mainly smaller items. I would prefer not to have superthreads for Argos, Amazon,(Tesco Electrical/Hardware), Halfords.

I think many people including myself have this feeling of possibly missing out on bargains if they are embedded in a superthread. I rarely look into the superthreads as I find it more difficult to navigate. After opening the main forum you then have to click on the last page of the superthread and may have to go backwards through 2/3 pages to look for any bargains. Personally I would be happy to look at up to 5 pages of Bargain Alerts main listings, so as not to miss out on an offer, rather than look into superthreads. I would say that I visit the site about 50% less then I did previously because of superthreads and I now visit HotUKDeals more often. I appreciate that it would not be possible to change BA to be more like HotUKDeals as it would change the character of the forum completely and require too much to change.

I think people are pretty good at following forum rules (with the exception of chatting on threads sometimes!). As a result I think many posters feel obliged to post in a superthread, if one exists, rather than post a new thread if they think they have a good bargain that might be very popular on its own. Deciding what should have a separate thread is very subjective and many posters would fear that a separate thread could be lambasted by those thinking it was not worthy of a separate thread.

1 solution would be for bargains over a certain price/discount threshold but this would be difficult to adminster and unlikely to resolve all issues. Another would be to encourage users to create seperate threads for items in superthreads that they feel are worthy. I'm sure there are plenty of other options and I feel that while most would not be perfect that they would be better than the status quo, possibly stepping stones towards a better solution.

I believe that my views are probably representative of the majority of Bargain Alerts posters but unless we can have the discussion there, in the BA forum, then I don't think we can say for sure. The poll thread for example, while only having 100 voters, appeard to be significantly in favour of change with 77% voting NOT to have superthreads.

Can we take this discussion to the BA thread, link from there to here or prehaps reopen the Poll? There is no obligation to change, just a chance for discussion. Mods can then determine if any changes are required/appropriate/workable as they see fit.
Thanks from:
06-03-2016, 16:51   #4
mrcheez

Just going to jump in here, as I feel we should discourage the use of superthreads simply because Bargain Alerts should be as user-friendly as Hot UK Deals and each thread should be related to one bargain (so the conversations in the thread are related to that one bargain, or possible alternate suggestions on where to get it cheaper/the quality of the item etc)

I actually joined Boards.ie purely based on the Bargain Alerts forum and I feel superthreads make it far less user-friendly.

Scenario 1: Say I want to take a minute break in work to check on the latest deals. I go onto Bargain Alerts and I scan the first 2 pages to see if anything interests me. None found, so then I have to click into each superthread to do the same... the only problem being that I have scroll up through pages of comments to find the last deal, and no guarantee that the deal will interest me. So I've wasted 5 minutes looking for deals on the off-chance something interests me.

Scenario 2: I go onto Bargain Alerts and, since superthreads are not allowed, I spend 5 seconds perusing the first 2 pages, just looking at the titles to see what the specific product is that's on sale. Oh wow an SSD sold by Amazon is mentioned on page two... I'll buy that (if it was in a superthread I would have missed it)

Quote:
Surely the less popular items will naturally degrade into sub-pages as there are less comments on them, and the more popular ones will stay on the first pages (in effect the number of comments will act like the "Heat" ratings on HUKD) ?
Quote:

The problem with superthreads is that new members assume you need to post in these, rather than on the Bargain Alerts page.

I would assume only 25% of Bargain Alert users actually read the superthreads (judging by the fact that 75% of users voted to abolish them), so in effect many bargains pass the notice of the majority, in effect stifling the effectiveness of the forum.
09-03-2016, 09:23   #5
JustMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMac View Post
Can we take this discussion to the BA thread, link from there to here or prehaps reopen the Poll? There is no obligation to change, just a chance for discussion. Mods can then determine if any changes are required/appropriate/workable as they see fit.
Can I presume that its ok to open a new thread on BA and link to this thread so that people know of its existence and can contribute to it?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-03-2016, 13:22   #6
Muahahaha

+1 on getting rid of Superthreads, its not hard to scan the first 2 pages of the BA forum, its a lot harder to click in and out of Superthreads which then tend to be full of chat and you have to scan again to actually find the bargains.

Also +1 on re-opening the poll, vast majority were against superthreads when it was open. De peeple have spoken!
(5) thanks from:
10-03-2016, 14:25   #7
witnessmenow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMac View Post
Can I presume that its ok to open a new thread on BA and link to this thread so that people know of its existence and can contribute to it?
I've created a thread and stickied it
(5) thanks from:
10-03-2016, 14:34   #8
sunny2004

I have no issue with them, I simply click on the LAST PAGE link and read backwards..
From my perspective I think it would be madness to have 20 or 30 argos offers floating around.
10-03-2016, 14:35   #9
sunny2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by witnessmenow View Post
Your link brings you to a thread that is closed, and links back here ?
Advertisement
10-03-2016, 15:33   #10
witnessmenow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny2004 View Post
Your link brings you to a thread that is closed, and links back here ?
Yeah, the discussion on the subject should take place in one place (here), if I left it open people would be posting in that thread. Its just to inform BA users this thread exists.
10-03-2016, 15:50   #11
Dav

I suggest having a new thread every week. Makes it clean and obvious to any new or old visitors alike and doesn't become some sort of monster.

Mega threads are bad for building a community in any forum, not that anyone's been listening when I've told them...
10-03-2016, 15:56   #12
mrcheez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav View Post
I suggest having a new thread every week.
A new superthread each week?

Let's just keep it simple: one thread per bargain.

Who cares if there are 20 argos bargains on page 1, they will quickly fade as less comments on the less interesting ones will push them to page 3.
10-03-2016, 16:07   #13
gordongekko

If they were limited to a no chat as the Argos thread is now then that seems ideal. It's much easier to have everything on the one thread.

Most of the major bargains seem to end up on their own thread anyway.
10-03-2016, 16:35   #14
uch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav View Post
I suggest having a new thread every week. Makes it clean and obvious to any new or old visitors alike and doesn't become some sort of monster.

Mega threads are bad for building a community in any forum, not that anyone's been listening when I've told them...
I agree with Dav, but maybe expire threads after 2 weeks, if thats possible
10-03-2016, 16:59   #15
Dav

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheez View Post
Who cares if there are 20 argos bargains on page 1, they will quickly fade as less comments on the less interesting ones will push them to page 3.
Turns out lots of people care if all the see are 20 threads of Argos or Tesco or whatever, we've already had that problem which is what started the super threads off in the first place.

A weekly (or bi-weekly) Tesco/Argos/etc bargains thread with the dates clearly labelled is pretty fool proof and is hardly going to take more than 5 minutes to skim over even if it's got 30 entries.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion