Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-01-2016, 15:07   #1
Brief_Lives

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi *spoilers from Post 2857*

Star Wars: Episode VIII will be released on May 26th, 2017.

http://bgr.com/2016/01/02/star-wars-...ipt-jj-abrams/

‘Star Wars: Episode VIII’ script is so incredible that J.J. Abrams now regrets not directing it.

...Star Wars: Episode VIII may be a bit different than Episode VII because of an entirely new writing and directorial team. Whereas Episode VII was co-written and directed by J.J. Abrams, Episode VIII will be written and directed by Rian Johnson. Johnson’s previous film credits include Looper and Brick. Johnson, we should add, has also directed three Breaking Bad episodes, including the widely beloved episode Ozymandias and the widely criticized episode Fly.

While details surrounding the upcoming Star Wars film remain scarce, J.J. Abrams, for one, is incredibly excited about the film. In fact, Abrams found the script for the film so compelling that he recently expressed regret for not being on-board as the director.

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/star-...tails-and-more

Principal photography for Rian Johnson's Episode VIII will begin in January

(If there is an existing thread, delete/merge this one mods, thanks)

Last edited by johnny_ultimate; 17-12-2017 at 12:36.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
04-01-2016, 15:29   #2
partyjungle

I'm not all that optimistic with Rian Johnson at the helm
04-01-2016, 15:45   #3
Theboinkmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyjungle View Post
I'd be the opposite tbh, I think it could be better than TFA.
(2) thanks from:
04-01-2016, 15:52   #4
Brief_Lives

Episode VII has set up a lot of threads very quickly...
the New big 3 of Rey, Poe and Finn will have much to do.
Chewy will be back.

Luke obviously
Leah and R2D2 + C3PO will have their bits...

Chewy and R2D2 were on the Falcon, on the planet Ahch-To, when Rey went to meet Luke.

I´m looking forward to seeing Kylo and Snoke in action and Luke and Rey on the skelligs...
I presume we will see more of Captain Phasma and maybe some memories of Max von Sydow (that can´t have been it for those 2)..

Last edited by Brief_Lives; 04-01-2016 at 16:15.
Thanks from:
04-01-2016, 15:54   #5
Brief_Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyjungle View Post
I don´t know much about Johnson, i had a quick look at his IMDB stats..
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0426059/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

he directed Looper, and some breaking bad episodes..
Advertisement
04-01-2016, 15:59   #6
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval

Johnson is the reason I am optimistic about Episode 8. I can’t think of a better person for the job.
(5) thanks from:
04-01-2016, 16:44   #7
partyjungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brief_Lives View Post
I don´t know much about Johnson, i had a quick look at his IMDB stats..
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0426059/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

he directed Looper, and some breaking bad episodes..
I'm basing my opinion mostly on Looper, it didn't make a lick of sense
Thanks from:
04-01-2016, 17:43   #8
pixelburp

Having seen Looper and Brick I think Johnson has the chops & creative sensibility to put his own unique stamp on the sequel; I re-watched Looper the other week & it's still a slick, off-kilter & oddball thriller with equally excellent world-building in its foundation - a concept that in many ways is a prerequisite with the Star Wars universe.

By sheer numbers, his CV is slim, but he seems to have a visual flourish and identity that other 'newbie' directors thrust into a big Hollywood gig don't seem to possess (though one of those newbies, Colin Trevarrow, has the Episode IX job, and based on Jurassic World I have reduced expectations there)
(2) thanks from:
04-01-2016, 21:21   #9
S.M.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post
Having seen Looper and Brick I think Johnson has the chops & creative sensibility to put his own unique stamp on the sequel; I re-watched Looper the other week & it's still a slick, off-kilter & oddball thriller with equally excellent world-building in its foundation - a concept that in many ways is a prerequisite with the Star Wars universe.

By sheer numbers, his CV is slim, but he seems to have a visual flourish and identity that other 'newbie' directors thrust into a big Hollywood gig don't seem to possess (though one of those newbies, Colin Trevarrow, has the Episode IX job, and based on Jurassic World I have reduced expectations there)
Thought Johnson was directing VIII and IX. That's disappointing to hear.

To be honest, what Johnson does with this installment will flavour my thoughts on The Force Awakens. If Johnson has the permission to be inventive and break away from the familiarity of Episode VII then I'll probably look at Abrams attempt more favourably.
Advertisement
04-01-2016, 21:28   #10
Arne_Saknussem

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.M.B. View Post
Thought Johnson was directing VIII and IX. That's disappointing to hear.

To be honest, what Johnson does with this installment will flavour my thoughts on The Force Awakens. If Johnson has the permission to be inventive and break away from the familiarity of Episode VII then I'll probably look at Abrams attempt more favourably.
Johnson is writing both scripts for the next 2 films but is only directing the next one.

Also agree that ep VII can be looked on as a good bridge if ep VIII is a proper departure.
04-01-2016, 21:43   #11
S.M.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne_Saknussem View Post
Johnson is writing both scripts for the next 2 films but is only directing the next one.

Also agree that ep VII can be looked on as a good bridge if ep VIII is a proper departure.
That explains my confusion. Trevarrow could do an adequate job directing a script written by Johnson.
04-01-2016, 22:01   #12
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval

Johnson is only providing a treatment for Episode 9, not the whole script. I'd imagine this will mainly amount to having a few story meetings. Trevorrow – and I assume his writing partner Derek Connolly – will write the film as they see fit.
05-01-2016, 13:49   #13
Turtyturd

If it can have half the tension of the 'Fly' episode of Breaking Bad it'll be a good movie. Really don't get the hate for that episode.

Also really enjoyed Looper so have high hopes for this personally.
(2) thanks from:
05-01-2016, 14:17   #14
Penn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtyturd View Post
If it can have half the tension of the 'Fly' episode of Breaking Bad it'll be a good movie. Really don't get the hate for that episode.

Also really enjoyed Looper so have high hopes for this personally.
I know he didn't write it, but he did direct Ozymandias, the best episode of Breaking Bad. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for anything now.
(2) thanks from:
05-01-2016, 14:58   #15
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval

Even if he hadn’t directed Looper or Breaking Bad, I’d still be optimistic. I re-watched Brick and The Brothers Bloom recently and they are both excellent films. Johnson is a student of cinema who draws on a diverse pool of influences for every film. From populist to avant-garde, there’s a bit of everything in his work. And he’s not afraid to mix and match genres. Looper goes from an homage to ‘80s time travel movies to Witness in its second half and somehow he makes it work.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion