Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Renewed rain and strong winds for west on Monday 7th (onset tonight)

• 06-12-2015 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭

Heads up, after a break today with an interval of dry weather and relatively light winds, another storm approaches from the southwest tonight and spreads rain back across western counties with potential for 20-30 mm. Normally this would be a level one rainfall event but with the ongoing widespread flooding and high water tables, whatever improvement today might bring (and in such a short time, not that much) will be held back by this renewed rainfall. Eastern regions will see more like 10-20 mm.

Wind this time will come from the south (or SSE) and south Kerry, west Cork coastal regions may see the strongest gusts to about 120 km/hr. It will become generally windy elsewhere too, more like a level one alert for many other areas, but certainly level two in some parts of west Munster.

I thought we should probably have just the one thread for this storm so hopefully the Met-E warning levels will be equal for rain and wind to avoid problems. As I say, it's partly the context of recent events that makes this a level two event, if it came in isolation it might be more of a level one.

Have away ... while I started this, I may not be around for quite a few hours and I hope some of the regulars will put a little meat on the bone provided here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It does look windy for a period on Monday, up to around Force 9 on southwest and west coasts.

15120712_2_0600.gif

Rainfall amounts don't appear to be significant, up to 20-30mm in the west/southwest over the next 48 hours. Though there will be more rain on the way during the week

hirlamuk-25-48-0_nkz1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It looks like that we will have Storm Eva this week. If it is not tomorrow it would be likely on Wednesday. Hopefully it will be a long while before Frank will be around.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    It looks like that we will have Storm Eva this week. If it is not tomorrow it would be likely on Wednesday. Hopefully it will be a long while before Frank will be around.

Would be surprised if it was tomorrow. Winds look to be below the Orange warning level at all times and the rainfall is probably not enough for a Yellow warning level.

Wednesday has the potential to be more interesting but it's uncertain at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,124 ✭✭✭✭km79

depressing!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,469 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

OMG haha is this Winter gonna be a lot like 2013 / 14? If it is, oh ****e mate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 tezzywezzy

Anyone have any idea how bad these winds will be? Will they be yellow or orange alert? Worried about walking kids to and back from school, we are in kilrush co. clare area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭pad199207

We will have the alphabet done by Christmas at this rate

A low end Yellow wind warning for Monday. Nothing special.
    STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Ireland Southeast to south winds will reach mean speeds of 45 to 55 km/h, gusting 85 to 95 km/h, during Monday, 07-12-2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

A low end Yellow wind warning for Monday. Nothing special.

No harm, we could do with a break.

HIRLAM with a cheeky little low on Tuesday, could bring a brief burst of strong winds to a small area.

hirlamuk-2-45-0_plz1.png

Tiny core of 90 km/h mean winds on the Mayo coast.

hirlamuk-3-45-0_ztp2.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Hooter23

He mentioned a storm next weekend on the farming forecast cant really be too sure this far out though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

tezzywezzy wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea how bad these winds will be? Will they be yellow or orange alert? Worried about walking kids to and back from school, we are in kilrush co. clare area.

Yellow warning issued, winds to be nothing like the wind we have bad over the past few weeks, certainly nothing like Barney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Can we even take any more rain??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭John mac

nice one mick.
    thats the highest ive seen it. usually at a high flood it gets up to half way up the garden, its completely covered there. heading over it in a hour or so .

I'd say that nursing home beside the Moy in Foxford is very close to flooding.
    I'm off tomorrow so might take a trip down that way to see what its like.

corsav6 wrote: »

The Moy is still rising.

http://waterlevel.ie/0000034001/0001/day/

Rain just arrived here in West Clare, AGAIN:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I was down there around the woollen mills shooting as well. The road down to the nursing home was closed off. Even part of the car park at the new center across from the mill was flooded too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A lot more rain to fall in the next 7 days

Rtavn16818.gif

I see the yellow warning for tomorrow has been removed.

• Advertisement

I see the yellow warning for tomorrow has been removed.

To be updated? Or removed entirely?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Gusts look strong enough the first half of the day in the S, SW and W

7GDLsKn.gif

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I was down there around the woollen mills shooting as well. The road down to the nursing home was closed off. Even part of the car park at the new center across from the mill was flooded too.

I grew up in Foxford and remember a few occasions when the football pitch was flooded, completely closing off that whole area.
    It was madness building a nursing home in that location, even if it escapes flooding they will experience huge delays if they require emergency services as the other access road will no doubt be inaccessible.

Gusts look strong enough the first half of the day in the S, SW and W

Getting sick of it now tbh, hope it won't be a winter full of storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

According to Gerry Murphy on RTE news there there is still a yellow warning out, yet it was taken off the site? :confused:

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    According to Gerry Murphy on RTE news there there is still a yellow warning out, yet it was taken off the site? :confused:

I think I remember now. The warning was set to expire tonight. I guess it was a typo and the warnings probably automatically get removed on the expiry time.

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Ireland
    Southeast to south winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/h, gusting 85 to 100 km/h, during Monday, 07-12-2015. Winds will be strongest in southern and western coastal counties.

Issued:Sunday 06 December 2015 21:00
    Valid:Monday 07 December 2015 06:00 to Monday 07 December 2015 19:00
    Back into effect. Bit stronger than the first warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭John mac

yup road into it (both directions was flooded) using land rover to get into it today

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97984300&postcount=1 shows the football pitch flooded

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Jpmarn wrote: »

I hope so that frank be way off yet, it could be gone to way down the list before we know it! :( Not expecting Storm Eva till next weekend based on Met Eireann's weather forecast but wouldn't be surprised if she land before the week is out! Wednesday likely wet day and tomorrow well its meant to rain heavily tonight again! :mad:

I've travel plans in the coming weeks and I just hope it won't snow...could put up with rain but windy storms...can it wait till after new year!! arragh!

The amount of storms in the space of a few weeks its crazy, the flooding making it all worse! Reminds me of 2009! Worst ever experience! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

I read about "Storm Desmond" on this forum 3-4 days before it was even named a storm by met eireann thanks to a thread started by MT Cranium. Because of that I sorted a few things around the house that saved me and my family a lot of distress.

That man is a boards.ie legend and I owe him a debt of gratitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

I read about "Storm Desmond" on this forum 3-4 days before it was even named a storm by met eireann thanks to a thread started by MT Cranium. Because of that I sorted a few things around the house that saved me and my family a lot of distress.

That man is a boards.ie legend and I owe him a debt of gratitude.

Seconded! Maq deserves alot of credit too along with plenty more regulars on this form. They've all helped many of us prepare for bad days and nights :)

Advertisement