Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Heavy rainfalls ongoing - Sunday 15th Nov ==>

• 15-11-2015 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭

I was going to post this in the now-closed Level 2 wind alert thread but as it needs a new thread, I have gone with a level 1 Alert as that will be more widely applicable, level 2 rainfall has already fallen in parts of north and west Connacht but situation from now on more likely to correspond to level one. Parts of the southeast will not receive enough rainfall to reach even that, but this will apply to most of the west, central and northeast counties:

Rainfall amounts on Saturday, reported on the met.ie website, include 66 mm at Newport, 46 mm at Knock and 40 mm at Finner Camp.

Today a further 20-30 mm is quite possible over these areas. About 5-15 mm of that has probably fallen since midnight. Flooding that began yesterday in some parts of Connacht and west Ulster may as a result resume or become slightly worse, before a dry interval starts late today lasting into part of tomorrow.

Unfortunately there are signs of further heavy rainfalls during the week, particularly on Tuesday. The GFS model shows accumulated rainfalls by Thursday of about 75 mm in some parts of west Munster and Connacht.

Sorry the usual suspects including myself were evidently a bit distracted over the past two days, it was not so much a case of missing the event as having our minds on other things perhaps. This thread is therefore a buck short and a day late, but at least discussion can continue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,322 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

What kind of gusts were recorded yesterday/last night ?

The wind was significantly worse in athlone than when Abigail rolled through during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rikand wrote: »
    What kind of gusts were recorded yesterday/last night ?

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some totals recorded up to 10am

Newport, Mayo: 82.4mm
    Knock Airport, Mayo: 64.4mm
    Galway City (UCG): 59.0mm
    Finner Camp, Donegal: 45.3mm

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I am not one for exaggeration but we've had a hell of a lot of rain in west Galway the past 2 days. And it's still lashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I am not one for exaggeration but we've had a hell of a lot of rain in west Galway the past 2 days. And it's still lashing.

The webcam image says it all really
    368591.jpg

15.6mm recorded since midnight here in Galway with an event total of 57.6mm so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Hmm no Met Eireann warning anymore, I thought it was valid until 3pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Highest gust was recorded at Shannon Airport! 50kts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some pictures from around Galway. Posted on Lorraine Higgins Fb page -

https://m.facebook.com/lorraine.higgins.7777

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Hmm no Met Eireann warning anymore, I thought it was valid until 3pm?

Strange there isn't even a level 1, I keep checking if my trampoline is still in the garden after every big gust.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,124 ✭✭✭✭km79

Strange there isn't even a level 1, I keep checking if my trampoline is still in the garden after every big gust.

great drying out :)

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    great drying out :)

Between the torrential squally showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭snowstreams

It's seriously windy out tonight here in athenry. I'm Surprised there isn't a yellow wind warning on. Gusts of over 100 recorded at mace head.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Very windy in Celbridge here tonight. Not much in the way of rain.......yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Getting gusty in South Sligo but the rain...the feckin rain...non bloody stop, great lake out in front of the house in the feilds below.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

Cork City very windy also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

What I see in forecast for Wexford is heavy rainfall Tues 17th and heavy rainfall Tues 24th .

Not much in between other than a drop in temps friday morning .

Once again the Sunny S-east escapes the worst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

Millions of Euros worth of damage in Donegal. Worst flood of the river finn for a long time. A hotel car park in ballybofey was destroyed when the river finn levelled the wall and 3 cars were swept away with it. 15 other cars destroyed but remained in the car park. Thankfully it collapsed in the middle of the night or people could have been swept away.

People had to be evacuated from their homes in Donegal town. In Castlefinn the river finn burst its banks flooding lots of houses and local businesses and it has been described as the worst flooding in the area since the 1960's. Areas around lk badly flooded and certain roads remain closed overnight.

I'm surprised this didn't make the news on Rte and I see there was no warning thread here. The models were showing over 200mm for the mountains of Donegal so no surprise. Met ie did have a orange warning. I guess Donegal really is the forgotten County xD. The clean up operation will last a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Some aerial footage showing the extent of the flooding in the Northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

What time was the flooding in Donegal?

Not quite true to say there was no warning here, this thread had a level 2 designator when posted Sunday, and before that, other posters were discussing rainfall in the earlier level 2 warning thread originally started for wind potential.

Once active weather gets started, readers need to realize that alert level weather may be covered in ongoing threads, we're not always going to have very specific new threads for each regional risk in an ongoing multi-day period of inclement weather.

That being said, today will see a renewal of level 2 rainfall alert conditions in parts of north Connacht and west Ulster, 20-30 mm could fall locally. The average across the south will be more like 5-10 mm.

As you have no doubt spotted, there is a new LEVEL 2 discussion thread for today's wind potential and this will probably include rainfall discussion from time to time. Therefore I would recommend locking this thread.

The severe flooding took place on Saturday evening and throughout the night by the time the new thread had been made on Sunday everywhere had already been flooded and the river finn had receded several feet and the level two was in for connaught. Saturday did the damage. And there was no mention of floods in the old abigal thread at least not on Saturday posts whilst the extreme weather was happening. Met Eireann had warnings that was it. Not a criticism just an observation and given how severe the flooding was and what the rainfall charts were showing it's unusual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Okay, thanks for the info, and this is obviously not meant to be an excuse but just a statement of reality, the forum is not organized to monitor all weather situations 24/7/365.25 although we do try to reach that standard -- and events in the world were somewhat distracting last Friday. We are on today's storm and that's all we can do. Very sorry to hear about the flooding but glad no lives lost.

There is certainly no regional variation in concern or interest level among the active members on this forum, can't speak to the wider boards culture as I don't get out of here much. Anything that happens anywhere in the Republic (and to some extent in Northern Ireland) is of equal interest and population while relevant is not a factor in assessing ultimate threat level. That's just for the guidance of all, if anyone is working under other assumptions, park 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

The severe flooding took place on Saturday evening and throughout the night by the time the new thread had been made on Sunday everywhere had already been flooded and the river finn had receded several feet and the level two was in for connaught. Saturday did the damage. And there was no mention of floods in the old abigal thread at least not on Saturday posts whilst the extreme weather was happening. Met Eireann had warnings that was it. Not a criticism just an observation and given how severe the flooding was and what the rainfall charts were showing it's unusual

Sorry but there was.
    Huge rainfaill totals by 6am Sunday morning in places here (Hills/mountains in Galway, Mayo, Donegal.). 200mm. There will be flash flooding and a risk of landslides on high ground if this is correct. A lot less on lower levels obviously.

nmm_uk1-25-36-4_klq8.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

As Ian said, there was plenty of discussion of the rainfall and flooding potential in the general Autumn Weather Thread
    That's where contributors shifted the discussion to once Abigail had passed - they just didn't start a new thread for the 'event'.

There was just one short reports on rainfall in the Abigail thread when I checked on Sunday morning - I moved it to the Autumn thread and shortly afterwards MT started an new event thread for the rainfall.
    I closed the Abigail thread because discussion on that 'event' had completely finished by then.

Its not that we weren't discussing it Weatherproof79 - you were just looking in the wrong place. Its always worth checking the general seasonal thread if you don't see an event thread.

Even I forgot to look there...

Thanks Mt I understand like I said no criticism of you . Lumi I read over the autumn thread and only maq mentioned rainfall totals once on Friday and once on Saturday the one on sat mentioned over 250mm for high ground in the nw. The thread was almost all about why met.ie didn't have a wind warning so it wasn't really discussed to be fair. And my main grievance was the fact it didn't make the news and only made a couple of papers. Millions worth of damage and worst flooding in some areas since the 60s cars swept away etc and it doesn't even feature on the news lol that's what annoyed me. Anywhere else in Ireland and it would have featured heavily that's my where my annoyance is directed at not anyone here. Donegal is known as the forgotten County and it really was last weekend lol

Advertisement