Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Headphones Megathread

• 01-07-2014 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

Personally I am both a cyclist and a driver. As a driver, I came across many cyclists wearing headphones (listening to music) who have no idea that a car is approaching.

Let me hear your opinions on this matter..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

I am also both driver and cyclist and have used both.
    personally i use the music to a level where by i still have ambient noise coming through.

I know in my car with radio on I can hear feck all outside.
    Just have to be even more aware of what's going on around you visually with the headphones in. I find it a useful tool when i need to push my pace harder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have one headphone in my left ear to hear to splits/segments from Strava. No music though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

I use headphones mainly for split times. Usually throw on a podcast for periods of climbing but can hear cars/ external noise very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

YanisK wrote: »
    Personally I am both a cyclist and a driver. As a driver, I came across many cyclists wearing headphones (listening to music) who have no idea that a car is approaching.

Let me hear your opinions on this matter..

WHAT??*

* i know ... That joke is getting a bit old now.! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

People have more than one sense and do not need to rely on hearing alone - otherwise would hearing impaired people be allowed out on the road at all? And radios should be banned from vehicles.

And a conundrum; how can you ensure that your vehicle is 'loud' enough to ensure others can hear you without drowning out the noise of the other vehicles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

must admit i always cycle with ear phones and music on

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

On the commute, headphones all the way makes no difference to hearing traffic because its everywhere.

On a weekend spin, i'd have the left one in with a podcast\audiobook low enough to hear anything coming

Each to their own, but OP if you know the cyclist is listening to music from inside your car my guess is your car is very quiet and the cyclist is listening to music way to loud to be good for their hearing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

God help us when all cars are run on batteries

BadCharlie wrote: »
    God help us when all cars are run on batteries

I am gonna invent spokey-dokeys for electric cars ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I cycle only with the left earbud quite often, both on long rides and in city traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I like to listen to music...drowns out car tyre roar and wind noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm a one earbud guy myself when commuting. I probably wouldn't wear them on roads I haven't been on before though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

YanisK wrote: »
    and do dey be doin' de wibblin' and de wobblin' all over de roaid and de splatterin' into de big truck?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

I have a house phone, personal mobile and work mobile.
    My daughter likes Nicki Minaj.
    My son likes to play Call of Duty on an xbox.
    I NEVER use earphones on a cycle and I fecking LOVE the quiet solitude of a solo spin :D

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I never use headphones cycling. Where I cycle I can usually hear a car long before I see them, so I'd rather not impede that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You gotta have a bit of music for the commute or those solo training spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Reg002

If a car is going to whack you from behind then the wearing of earphones is going to make no difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Drum n Bass when the weathers bad. House when its sunny.

Its called pathetic fallacy, apparently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Nearly got knocked down by a Nissan Leaf coming out of a driveway, needed a crystal ball for the electric cars

I don't like using earphones when cycling. Some of the roads I travel on are quite narrow & bendy so it helps to hear if something is coming behind me. The one earbud thing is a good idea though, I might start doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

I'm a lone wolf so I'd rather retire from cycling than go musicless.

Maybe I should join a club and get some cycling mates.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Solo training is 1 ear bud in the left ear. Its always newstalk, RTE 1 ( I know, I'm a boring fat kid!!)

Never caused me any issues .

yop wrote: »
    Solo training is 1 ear bud in the left ear. Its always newstalk, RTE 1 ( I know, I'm a boring fat kid!!)

Never caused me any issues .

I have had many issues with Newstalk ... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

If I'm cycling on my own I always listen to music. Its not loud enough to drown out the sound of the cars though. Anyway I'm not going to be cycling in the middle of the road so its not really making me less safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

If a motorist is going to rear end you, heaphones wont make any difference. They might even put the foot down if you're listening to Newstalk. :)

The only instance Ive found where they can be an annoyance is not hearing traffic build up behind you on some back roads, where as if you did you would pull in a bit and let them past etc

But I can see how that might make them reach for the Joe Duffy speed dial !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I had a Nissan Leaf take off from the lights beside me recently and it frightened the crap out of me when it passed me as I was settling into my stride. I had no idea it was about to pass me. Engine noise usually gives a great idea of what the driver is thinking and about to do.

To answer the OP, no I don't wear headphones. I think it is too valuable a sense on the road to reduce or to do without. Regarding electric cars, previously I would have laughed at the notion of introducing a 'rev' sound to them. After the aforementioned experience, I think it's a very good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I listen to either web & business related podcasts, or hour+ long trance sets (single large mp3, less hassle to get onto device).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

TBH I'd be terrified to use headphones when cycling. I probably use my ears more than anything else on the road, or atleast equal to my eyes!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Now now fuppers, nothing wrong with Newstalk and listening to stories about bankers to get the BPM up for the hills! :D

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    TBH I'd be terrified to use headphones when cycling. I probably use my ears more than anything else on the road, or atleast equal to my eyes!

What about your wheels, I use them more than anything else, I reckon my ears would chaff badly if I had to brake with them. :D

Advertisement