Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

21-05-2015, 13:12   #1291
Deise_2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giveitfong View Post
With the hurling game starting at 4 pm, you must be going to a very late mass or have a really big plate of dinner (or both).
I know but you could stay at mass until 12:45, get home and have dinner, listening to the Sunday game theme tune, nothing better! The big plate of dinner helps me have a quick nap during the Ulster football and then ready for action at 3:30!
Advertisement
21-05-2015, 13:44   #1292
deiseach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giveitfong View Post
With the hurling game starting at 4 pm, you must be going to a very late mass or have a really big plate of dinner (or both).
Don't wreck the D'Unbelievables vibe. "No tay, no wash up, straight out the door! I'd say we'll be at the match about...five ta".
(2) thanks from:
21-05-2015, 13:46   #1293
Psychedelic

Can someone clear this up for me: Paudie, Padraig or Pauric Mahony?

Also, can someone explain the thing about teams aiming to reach peak performance/fitness at certain stages of the year? Is this just another myth? Surely a team can and should be at full fitness throughout the championship? Doesn't make sense why a team would purposely aim to be not at peak fitness during early championship when it could mean they get knocked out and not get the chance to play at that magical peak level.
21-05-2015, 13:54   #1294
Alf Tupper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychedelic View Post
Can someone clear this up for me: Paudie, Padraig or Pauric Mahony?
It's Pauric but most people call him Paudie.
21-05-2015, 14:12   #1295
thinkstoomuch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by archieknox View Post
While i personally feel sorry for Paudie as he was having a tremendous year i think this is way over the top. At what stage do we decide where to stop these benefit games? What happens if the same injury occurred during a junior B game what then? Or any club game for that matter? That's why all these players are insured to cover these injuries. The cynic in me says the Pieta House is the deal breaker! Great cause and the work they do is fantastic but i would imagine they're included in the deal so as not to make it look as bad!
I can see your points
It's a tough one
Colm o Neill or Gooch never had such games however tomas waters did for wexford and Jamie wall with more severe injury had also and were fully deserved imo
Ken mcgrath when retired and fully deserved
It's a tough call but at same time if I was around I'd go mahonry game support him but you valid points with club lads get same injuries
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-05-2015, 16:04   #1296

Do the County Board pay for his surgery anyway? They'd have this challenge anyway like so if this generates higher publicity and a bigger gate all the better.

I doubt its going to be the deal Kens challenge was last year. And Id imagine what ever funds are sent his way are only going to cover the operation. Wouldn't read too much into it.
(2) thanks from:
22-05-2015, 01:24   #1297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkid View Post
Can I ask what people make of a benefit match for Pauric Mahony?
I wasn’t overly surprised when I saw it. There’s a lot of hype around the Waterford team at the moment and Paudies injury and it just goes to show that everyone wants to row in behind a winning team. If it was last year, 2 or 3 years ago would there have been a benefit match? not a hope. Is it OTT? Of course it is but so has been the reaction to Paudies injury. I suggested that here a few weeks back and I was a accused of being ‘more than a bit flippant’. And I stand by it. But more luck to Paudie, hes had a bad break and if people are willing to give up their time to organise this then good luck to him, I wouldn't begrudge him.
22-05-2015, 02:09   #1298
HatchetMan7

It was Ballygunner who organised this match i think, maybe their thinking of sending him to one of those hyperbaric oxygen therapy things like professional athletes to speed up the healing process.
Thanks from:
22-05-2015, 03:16   #1299
Brad1234

It has been organised by the gunners.. So it isn't a Waterford Initiative..I guess you can see it as looking after one of its own.. I doubt the County board would have any input in it as it will no doubt be a disaster if they put their mitts on it..

Some people will always begrudge events like this purely out of Ignorance and jealousy cause my little Johnny didn't get the same treatment but maybe if their clubs respected their players with more initiatives like this then the club scene would be in a better place.

The guy will spend the rest of the year recovering from this and possibly a good sum of next year.. He Cant work for a good period of time and has to go back and sit final exams in the end of the summer so fair play to the club for trying to look after him..

If you don't like don't support it but don't moan on here about where this will lead.. I doubt it will lead anywhere but at least the club is forward thinking in trying to help a young player out..

On the 'leg break' Its the same injury as James Woodlock.. Have a look how long it took him to get back? Have a look at what type of injury it is...
Advertisement
22-05-2015, 10:44   #1300
3ships

I checked an article on the Woodlock injury and it stated it was a double leg break, with the leg 'smashed out of position'. It required surgery the next day with two nails. Pauric injury is reported as a 'clean break' which the surgery took place after two days requiring one nail. So hopefully from that it's not as bad as Woodlocks'. The other obvious reference is his brother Philip who was back in about 10 weeks. His injury did not require surgery and the leg was immediately set in plaster, aiding recovery.

I don't know how long Pauric will be out but a return for the end of the club championship is probably ambitious. If buying a ticket for this match helps in any way toward his rehab then I'll get one today
(2) thanks from:
22-05-2015, 11:29   #1301
deiseach

I'm reliably informed (the question being whether you think I am reliable) that he will make a full recovery. He won't play for at least five months, but when he does come back it will physically be as if it never happened.
Thanks from:
22-05-2015, 11:31   #1302
MUFC91CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1234 View Post
It has been organised by the gunners.. So it isn't a Waterford Initiative..I guess you can see it as looking after one of its own.. I doubt the County board would have any input in it as it will no doubt be a disaster if they put their mitts on it..

Some people will always begrudge events like this purely out of Ignorance and jealousy cause my little Johnny didn't get the same treatment but maybe if their clubs respected their players with more initiatives like this then the club scene would be in a better place.

The guy will spend the rest of the year recovering from this and possibly a good sum of next year.. He Cant work for a good period of time and has to go back and sit final exams in the end of the summer so fair play to the club for trying to look after him..

If you don't like don't support it but don't moan on here about where this will lead.. I doubt it will lead anywhere but at least the club is forward thinking in trying to help a young player out..

On the 'leg break' Its the same injury as James Woodlock.. Have a look how long it took him to get back? Have a look at what type of injury it is...
Bit of a straw man argument there now in fairness. Somebody asked the question and he was given an honest answer by a handful of posters. This is a discussion forum after all. No one was moaning about it or no one said they begrudge him anything.
(2) thanks from:
22-05-2015, 22:23   #1303
mickotallow

Good result for Shamrocks in Intermediate hurling tonight. Western championship is by far and away the most competitive competition.
22-05-2015, 22:24   #1304
Deise_2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickotallow View Post
Good result for Shamrocks in Intermediate hurling tonight. Western championship is by far and away the most competitive competition.
Who were they playing? Who played well?
22-05-2015, 22:37   #1305
mickotallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deise_2012 View Post
Who were they playing? Who played well?
They beat Ardmore 16pts to 13 I think. Wasn't at it myself only saw result on twitter. Think Colm Roche was injured though so even better result for Shamrocks if true. Peter Queally unbeaten in championship in both divisions so far
Thread Closed