Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Series designed for students ?

• 05-11-2014 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all

I am very new to Mandarin (a couple of months doing a class a week) and while my ability to speak is improving a bit due to classes and Pimsleur software every night, I have a lot of trouble understanding ANYTHING when I hear it.

I've learned Spanish in the past and currently study French too and they both have various programmes/comedies on the internet which are made for students of the language.

Is anyone aware of any programme/comedy anything designed for students where people speak slower than normal and use basic vocab and grammar. So far, I've only found "growing with Chinese" on youtube and it's okay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I would also be interested in suggestion as couldn't find many options either.

You can try a series from CCTV called Happy Chinese: http://english.cntv.cn/program/learnchinese/happychinese/

The language itself is more for intermediate students, but I think they also mean it for beginners as everything is subtitled and each episode has a few quick breaks to focus on a particular grammar point used in the script.

The problem I have with it is that the plot is not that interesting and I don't find it that informative about China as it is revolving around the same old themes most Chinese learning books are talking about (which I often find clichés); so I kind of lost interest after 10 episodes.

Advertisement