Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-10-2014, 15:11   #1
Dermot McDonnell

Howto unlock your Eircom F1000

Eircom are currently several firmware versions behind ZyXel for the F1000. The current beta release from ZyXel UK includes a fix for port forwarding bugs, in particular where a resync takes out the applied rules.

For those who are interested, and understand the risk that you may kill your F1000, I attach a full log of an F1000 unlock followed by flashing both the ZyXel bootloader and the latest firmware. Commands are in blue, comments in red in the PDF.

You will need a phillips screwdriver, a USB-TTL serial cable, communications software that supports serial and xModem protocols, but no soldering skills as the board comes with a serial header.

I do not encourage anyone to do this, I simply pass on the know how to those who wish to do it. You know who you are

NB: Do NOT use the Vcc connector on the header. Serial is 115200baud, 8bits, no parity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1000_USB-TTL.jpg (1.31 MB, 965 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Eircom_F1000_VMG8324-B10a_unlock.pdf (1.22 MB, 1970 views)
Advertisement
06-10-2014, 02:07   #2
jca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermot McDonnell View Post
Eircom are currently several firmware versions behind ZyXel for the F1000. The current beta release from ZyXel UK includes a fix for port forwarding bugs, in particular where a resync takes out the applied rules.

For those who are interested, and understand the risk that you may kill your F1000, I attach a full log of an F1000 unlock followed by flashing both the ZyXel bootloader and the latest firmware. Commands are in blue, comments in red in the PDF.

You will need a phillips screwdriver, a USB-TTL serial cable, communications software that supports serial and xModem protocols, but no soldering skills as the board comes with a serial header.

I do not encourage anyone to do this, I simply pass on the know how to those who wish to do it. You know who you are

NB: Do NOT use the Vcc connector on the header. Serial is 115200baud, 8bits, no parity.
Waàaay out of my league. Is there any way of getting my printer on one of the usb ports? (Easily)
06-10-2014, 13:05   #3
Xennon

Lovely Work Dermot!
20-10-2014, 17:58   #4
jhconnolly

Dermot,

I cannot port forward with my Eircom F1000 with firmware 1.00(AAHA.4)DO_20140623, is the reason a software bug ? if so then this could fix it, correct ?

Thanks
James
26-10-2014, 12:19   #5
Dermot McDonnell

James,

Apologies for the delay in replying to you. I caught a bad cold. The later firmwares from ZyXel certainly address a number of issues with port forwarding, see http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13930.0 for details and user comments on port forwarding issues.

Regards,

Dermot
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-10-2014, 12:31   #6
_Whimsical_

Any chance it might improve the awful Wi-Fi range or speeds?
26-10-2014, 15:50   #7
Dermot McDonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Whimsical_ View Post
Any chance it might improve the awful Wi-Fi range or speeds?
A firmware update will give only a very slight wifi improvement, due to bug fixes. However, I strongly suggest the following:

Got to Network -> Wireless -> Other
Set 802.11 mode to 802.11n only

Your wifi devices need to support 802.11n, most do.

Secondly, the wifi signal is at a maximim along a line perpindicular to the face of the F1000, as the antennae array is on the circuit board. Point the front, or back, face of the modem at the area you want best coverage.
(3) thanks from:
26-10-2014, 23:43   #8
_Whimsical_

Quote:
A firmware update will give only a very slight wifi improvement, due to bug fixes. However, I strongly suggest the following:

Got to Network -> Wireless -> Other
Set 802.11 mode to 802.11n only

Your wifi devices need to support 802.11n, most do.

Secondly, the wifi signal is at a maximim along a line perpindicular to the face of the F1000, as the antennae array is on the circuit board. Point the front, or back, face of the modem at the area you want best coverage.
Thank you!
That was helpful, I think my wifi might be a bit better as n and it's good to know the best way to point the modem too.
27-10-2014, 17:39   #9
jca

Is it possible to use one of the USB ports as a print server?
Advertisement
28-10-2014, 00:31   #10
doctorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca View Post
Is it possible to use one of the USB ports as a print server?
Yes, But you have to enable it first inside the router.

192.168.1.254 > Network Settings > Print Server > Enable
28-10-2014, 14:17   #11
jca

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorg View Post
Yes, But you have to enable it first inside the router.

192.168.1.254 > Network Settings > Print Server > Enable
Thanks for replying doctorg. It won't work unfortunately. I enabled print server in the router, connected up my printer (Brother DCP-350C). The USB light illuminates on the router, the printer rebooted a few times followed by the router rebooting but the USB light stayed off after the router reboot. No sign of the printer on network searches... Very frustrating, I thought I had it working when the USB lit up.. Maybe my printer isn't supported.
28-10-2014, 17:18   #12
jca

More problems now. If I try to access the print server tab on the router interface the page greys out and the router reboots eventually. The reboot takes forever to complete, a real pain in the butt. Still no sign of the printer on the network. Very frustrating.
20-11-2014, 16:02   #13
Dermot McDonnell

I have updated my guide to unlocking and unbranding the Eircom F1000. It includes the settings for use with Eircom and Vodafone VDSL (fibre).

Eircom are now a dozen firmware releases behind ZyXel, the manufacturer of the F1000. You may wish to check the latest changelog to see if any of the issues you are experiencing has been fixed.

ZyXel's user guide may be of use too.

Some users get a huge benefit with one man reporting "for anyone thinking about buying one - my speeds went from 18 to 86Mb/s with Vodafone fibre."

Other user experience has been positive too.
Thanks from:
22-11-2014, 12:20   #14
Paul Thomas Rowland

Quote:
Eircom are now a dozen firmware releases behind ZyXel, the manufacturer of the F1000.
Eircom are 17 firmware releases behind zyxel as of this morning. Most of the issues I see mentioned on these forums have been fixed by zyxel but eircom have done nothing to update their firmware. These bugs are driving people daft but obviously eircom do not give a sh!t about their customers.

Unlock your F1000 people, upgrade your firmware as you are entitled to do by law.
Thanks from:
22-11-2014, 16:21   #15
rogercross

Hi Guys,

I'd be very interested in unlocking the f1000.

Don't suppose you could post a slightly more user friendly guide to unlocking the it and flashing the factory firmware?

Ill need to acquire the TTL cable, I have everything else I think.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion