Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Heavy Rain, localised flooding possible Fri into Sat, October 3rd & 4th

• 01-10-2014 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

A deep through from strong low pressure over Iceland on Friday will make its way over Ireland bringing the potential for heavy rain to nearly all places , clearing off slowly Saturday morning to lesser showers.

323824.jpg

Still some uncertainty in the areas most at risk so ill keep it as a general country-wide risk atm.

323825.jpg

Some interesting weather at last folks!! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ah feck off Autumn :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

How many mm roughly are we looking at Ian?,supposed to have an outdoor event saturday afternoon /night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Would say maximum rainfalls in the southeast could be 30-40 mm. Most of that would be mid-afternoon Friday into Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭pad199207

App is predicting over 50mm for Co. Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Ah feck off Autumn :(
    Yeah feck off roll on winter ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Iancar29 wrote: »
    A deep through from strong low pressure over Iceland on Friday will make its way over Ireland bringing the potential for heavy rain to nearly all places , clearing off slowly Saturday morning to lesser showers.

323824.jpg

Still some uncertainty in the areas most at risk so ill keep it as a general country-wide risk atm.

323825.jpg

Some interesting weather at last folks!! :)

Who is issuing the Level 1 Alert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Kind of looking forward to a bit of rain and wind. It's been such a good summer/autum it can do what it wants for the winter (a few weeks of snow and it will be a year to remember)

Would say maximum rainfalls in the southeast could be 30-40 mm. Most of that would be mid-afternoon Friday into Saturday morning.

Where is the Level 1 Alert coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

piuswal wrote: »
    Where is the Level 1 Alert coming from?

Boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

I assume october will be a total washout then? given the charts i wouldn't rule it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A gust of 40kts at Belmullet on the 1400 reports. its been a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Finally a bit of interesting weather, the apples are picked , the spring cabbage is sown and I've got my winter supply of logs for the stove. Let have at it!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Why am I so excited about a bit of rain?! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

leahyl wrote: »
    Why am I so excited about a bit of rain?! :P

Because it's a change from the lovely, but boring weather we have had for the last few months?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Yellow wind warning for connaught and donegal. Gusts up to 100km per hour

Boards :)

Where do Boards get it from?

FROM FORUM CONTRIBUTORS AND WEATHER CHARTS

How many levels are there?

What are the criteria for each level?

PRETTY MUCH THE SAME AS MET EIREANN

What are the time lines for the warnings?

SAYS FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY

Are there warnings for other weather parameters, uh as snow or wind etc?

SAME LEVELS ARE USED FOR ALL WEATHER TYPES BE IT RAIN, WIND OR SNOW

How do they equate with the European Meteoalarm system?

USUALLY IN LINE BUT THIS IS'NT A STATE BOARD SO THEY DIFFER SOMETIMES

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Yellow wind warning for connaught and donegal. Gusts up to 100km per hour
    Thank God its not a warning for yellow snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

piuswal wrote: »
    Where do Boards get it from?

How many levels are there?

What are the criteria for each level?

What are the time lines for the warnings?

Are there warnings for other weather parameters, uh as snow or wind etc?

How do they equate with the European Meteoalarm system?

The OP set the warning level for this thread.
    The amateur forecasters on the forum follow the same criterion as Met Eireann/MeteoAlarm - you can read up all of the details regarding parameters etc by following the link
    This is a Discussion Board and not an official weather warning provider - we just use the warning levels to highlight a potentially significant event

Mod Note
    Lets get back on topic now please - the thread is for discussing the impending spell of wind and rain and not for debating warning levels

• Registered Users Posts: 20,322 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Video wrote: »
    I assume october will be a total washout then? given the charts i wouldn't rule it out

Be a few random storms but apart from that it will be grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Looks like the SE will get the most of the rain but could escape the worst as a cut off low tries to form in the Irish sea.

323922.jpg

Alot of strong deep and low level shear accompanied with the cold front . Some strong helicity values could produce some funnels / perhaps a weak tornado in places. So keep an eye out folks!!

323924.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

yes!!!! a bit of good Irish weather.... this night heat is driving me bezerk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Haley Delightful Pi

I need it dry in Dublin between 12 - 230 pm Fri. What's my chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Unbelievable 17.3C here at 05:44, some of the windward slopes of the Wicklow mountains should get huge rainfall totals out of a warm airmass like this.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Supercell wrote: »
    Unbelievable 17.3C here at 05:44, some of the windward slopes of the Wicklow mountains should get huge rainfall totals out of a warm airmass like this.

I'm with you on the temp, wore a t-shirt to the train station and was sweating by the time I got there 10 min walk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭highdef

I was getting 18, touching 19 in the car heading down the Naas Road from the M50 a bit earlier again than you, Supercell.

In other news, a possible narrow squall line like feature has developed over the midlands and looks like it will hit the Dublin region shortly, if it can hold itself together.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,691 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The squall just hit D15 there now, 10 minute torrent,ending summer with a bang. Temp already falling away from 17c. May not see that again until March!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We had 6 degrees yesterday morning and 17 today!! Crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

17.2 here in Cork for now.

Bit of drizzle here and there, but the ground is barely wet.

Was expecting a lot more to be honest.

Is there more on the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭highdef

We had 6 degrees yesterday morning and 17 today!! Crazy

That's actually not unusual at all, especially around this time of year. 11c difference between what is probably the minimum on one day and the possible high the following day is a fairly common occurrence.

Now if you had said something like it was 1C yesterday morning and 23c in the afternoon, then that would be a bit more significant and unusual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭eigrod

All forecasts seem to suggest that the Sth East and East are going to get the heaviest rain, yet looking at the radar it seems to be moving towards the Nth East/East with a 'tail' that might hit the Sth East. Am I mis-interpreting the radar ?

Advertisement