Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Ball Position & Club Grip Position

• 06-07-2014 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

I try to go by the fundamentals for my swing. So ball positions for me would be - driver (off left heel), woods (one ball inside this) and irons (one ball inside this again or to the middle of stance).

ball-position-golf-stance.jpg

In regard to the distance I stand back from the ball, its the same for each club. After taking correct address, I just let my arms hang naturally so I am not stretching for ball.

What I would like to know, after positioning the ball correctly, is there a correct place to point the end of the club. I have been using the left hip for every club but I think this makes my driver grip lean too forward. I have read that it should be left hip for irons and belt buckle for woods and driver. Any opinions on this? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

All my irons are just before low point of swing, so under shirt logo roughly.

Driver is just on the instep of left foot.

Woods and hybrids only slightly further left of irons.

What is different is in the wedge-8 iron all or most of the weight is on the left foot, setup in a so called reverse k, spine tilting away from target, as you go lower the weight spread moves towards neutral, except for Driver which is weight on the right foot at setup to promote upward path.

Edit: Ah you mean the shaft lean at address , this is personal, some is good , too much is not, but the actual set up of weight and spine tilt are way more important as shaft lean at address has no effect on the downswing.

On the driver your spine should have a large tilt right, so the shaft is more or less straight or only slight lean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭whizbang

Driver which is weight on the right foot at setup to promote upward path

IS your slice not bad enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

NFH wrote: »
    I try to go by the fundamentals for my swing. So ball positions for me would be - driver (off left heel), woods (one ball inside this) and irons (one ball inside this again or to the middle of stance).

In regard to the distance I stand back from the ball, its the same for each club. After taking correct address, I just let my arms hang naturally so I am not stretching for ball.

What I would like to know, after positioning the ball correctly, is there a correct place to point the end of the club. I have been using the left hip for every club but I think this makes my driver grip lean too forward. I have read that it should be left hip for irons and belt buckle for woods and driver. Any opinions on this? Cheers.
    Jim mclean the no. 3 golf instructor in usa says the parameters for grip end of club/hands is " between the crease on your pants and your belt buckle"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

NFH wrote: »

Mark Crossfield has a video of this on his YouTube channel. He says that the butt end of all your clubs should be off your left thigh. So for wedges you would have a decent bit of forward shaft lean based on the pic you posted, where for driver it'd be reasonably neutral and as the ball moved so did the shaft lean.

The important thing is though that there are no real fundamentals really if you think about it. You will find real differences in the set up of the worlds best. It's about setting up consistently in the best way to suit your game, no one can tell you that you're wrong or indeed right the ball flight will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

m r c wrote: »
    no one can tell you that you're wrong or indeed right the ball flight will do that.
    You can only thank a post here once, a +1, if you like.

I'll give that a +100 right here, right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

whizbang wrote: »
    IS your slice not bad enough?

Nope, I hit high fade with Driver, the weight is on the right foot due to the spine tilt, which is needed to hit up in the ball, to hit a high fade, or a high Draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Nope, I hit high fade with Driver, the weight is on the right foot due to the spine tilt, which is needed to hit up in the ball, to hit a high fade, or a high Draw.

I notice so many people doing this recently, is there some new viral video or something going around?

Having the ball of the left foot I guess is normal enough I guess, ideally being on the inside of the foot. But I'm seeing loads of people tilting back onto the right foot, and bringing the shaft backwards, creating what will be a massively high launch. The problem being a lot of what I'm seeing, the players arn't addressing the face correctly and leaving it open, for these big , high slices.

I tried it a few weeks back and found I was getting high launches, but was loosing a fair bit of distance, and there was a tendance to catch the ball off the bottom of the face giving me weird contact.

I tend to try not to exaggerate the loft on my driver. My driving has been some of the best of my golfing life the last 4 weeks. Actually a Mark Crossfield video put me onto something I wasn't doing. I was taking the club away in a draw path, hinging my wrists during the backswing, but wasn't bringing them back during the downswing. Would leak some drives out to the right, or if I wasn't putting the face through the ball properly was hitting these mental "slingshot hooks".

To exaggerate the action for the purpose of text, feels like I'm snapping my wrists just before impact, but what I'm actually doing is bringing my wrists back to where they should be. Mental little thing I never noticed, put it into my iron game aswell and a massive difference.

Started moving my irons a bit more towards centre and my right foot as I go into shorter irons ( I used to leave everything a bit more forward) and noticing a more pronounced draw, better strikes, and more spin from my 7iron - wedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭whizbang

I would always be inclined to put the ball more to the center. The positives are always more than the negatives (if any!).

Hitting up on the driver is a separate issue, this is the viral bit. Some idiot put it out there that everyone should try to hit the ball on the upswing.
    There was a famous coach says he would never let his players watch another getting a lesson. The tips he gave for one player, don't work for another.

There really isn't any reason to hit up on the ball. Same as irons, an attempt to downwards strike with the driver will be lower, longer, straighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

whizbang wrote: »
    I would always be inclined to put the ball more to the center. The positives are always more than the negatives (if any!).

Hitting up on the driver is a separate issue, this is the viral bit. Some idiot put it out there that everyone should try to hit the ball on the upswing.
    There was a famous coach says he would never let his players watch another getting a lesson. The tips he gave for one player, don't work for another.

There really isn't any reason to hit up on the ball. Same as irons, an attempt to downwards strike with the driver will be lower, longer, straighter.

It will be lower alright.
    No guarantee on straighter.
    It wont be longer unless into the wind.

Trackman has shown that hitting up on the ball means the ball goes further. Its easier to travel through air than dirt.

Having the ball forward in your stance promotes a weight shift forward, having it middle or back can increase the chances of you hanging back/reverse pivot.

Advertisement