Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-01-2014, 08:22   #16
just do it

Stick another animal in the pen and the dung will go down. I think there's more benefit to be got by putting the rubber slat mats on them than worrying about the finish of them.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-01-2014, 09:55   #17
3 the square

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat73 View Post
I went to mcgraths today to look at their slats.they looked strong and plenty steel only thing I thought was the finish was abit rough and patchy.my next trip was to croom and their slats were much the same with a smooth finish.patchy in places but a nicer finish.i was talking to my neighbour this evening who has croom slats and only thing he gave out about was that he thought the dung didn't go down as quick as he liked.hopefully il get to a few more places this weekend.im in no major rush at the moment so I can be looking and learing as I go
give a spin to banagher in offaly they make d best of stuff.
13-01-2014, 19:24   #18
pat73

I got a few quotes for my slats and there was a big difference in prices.the tank is 75 feet long with a 16 foot 6 slat. Croom were 6000 euro,mcgraths were 6350,campion were 6600,corbets were 7800 and banagher were 8500.they all said they were tractor slats.i know everyone says that banagher have the best slat but what's in there slat to justify that price
13-01-2014, 19:34   #19
3 the square

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat73 View Post
I got a few quotes for my slats and there was a big difference in prices.the tank is 75 feet long with a 16 foot 6 slat. Croom were 6000 euro,mcgraths were 6350,campion were 6600,corbets were 7800 and banagher were 8500.they all said they were tractor slats.i know everyone says that banagher have the best slat but what's in there slat to justify that price
quality of the workmanship I guess no steel on show would be interesting to know the weight of the slats and see how they compare
I was doing me 1st tank about 10 years ago the contractor I had who was a wise old man said he was doing tanks with 20 years and never see one bad slat done few tanks since all banagher
07-04-2014, 18:59   #20
Kerryman2014

I bought slats of croom last year well over €20k of them, had heard stories, but have absolutely no complaints, good product and don't have an issue keeping them clean.
Advertisement
07-04-2014, 19:40   #21
Jonty

Just as an aside lads, I worked in a soils/geotech lab testing concrete for a while. I can honestly say that Banagher Concrete would be the best in the country for precast concrete quality.
Thanks from:
26-08-2014, 15:49   #22
kinners

I've also done some quotes and also found huge variances with Slatt Prices from €8200 down to €6900 for slatts.
Banagher right in the middle on price @ €7600 , but only 7" tractor slatt whilst all the rest do a 9" tractor slatt ?
26-08-2014, 17:51   #23
sandydan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinners View Post
I've also done some quotes and also found huge variances with Slatt Prices from €8200 down to €6900 for slatts.
Banagher right in the middle on price @ €7600 , but only 7" tractor slatt whilst all the rest do a 9" tractor slatt ?
i fitted tractor slats a few years ago cant think of maker now , but strength of slat tonnage is more important than thickness, mine are 10 ton 7" slats . but was told, Bannagher have best slat for scraper for out side door? i don,t know
27-08-2014, 12:11   #24
kinners

Hard to know what to do so!!

Price is so important but dont want to Buy wrong for the sake of 500 -1000 euro.
Advertisement
28-08-2014, 18:02   #25
kinners

Sandyman, What slat manufacturer did you use ?
28-08-2014, 18:57   #26
cjpm

We were advised either Banagher or Billy Kiely in Blarney by a fella going around the country fixing slat mats, so has seen them all. Strongest concrete mix in them. Went with Kiely, great finish in fairness.

No slat manufacturer is selling at a loss. Keep that in mind if you are considering ordering cheap slats. It will be cheap for a reason, either skimping on the concrete or the steel.
Thanks from:
28-08-2014, 19:32   #27
Farmer Pudsey

I often wonder why lads get caught up in slat quality. Yes there was an issue 40 years ago with single slats but in general slats nowadays are made to a much higher spec that twenty years ago not to mind 40 years ago. Will it make much difference if the slat lasts 40 years or 60 years.

Did 3 bay tank last year 14' 6'' slat, difference in slat price was 2700 to 4500. I went with the cheapest. Maybe I am wrong but the 1800 was the price of six Friesian weanling bulls. Slats were to grant standard. The fella making them was only producing slats other companies had kerbs, septic tanks, concrete blocks competing with there time.

Were the slats as good as the one's I put in the first shed no but 4 bays with a 16' 6'' slat cost me 10K or there abouts. I galvanise steel rsj's before I pay extra for slats. Tanks and structural steel priority. Any of the modern slat will last 40 years IMO.
28-08-2014, 19:49   #28
farmerjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Pudsey View Post
I often wonder why lads get caught up in slat quality. Yes there was an issue 40 years ago with single slats but in general slats nowadays are made to a much higher spec that twenty years ago not to mind 40 years ago. Will it make much difference if the slat lasts 40 years or 60 years.
That would be a big considerion for me, why buy a inferior product(unless theres a serious price difference)
28-08-2014, 19:59   #29
Farmer Pudsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjj View Post
That would be a big considerion for me, why buy a inferior product(unless theres a serious price difference)
How do you know it an inferior product, will you buy painted or galvanised RSJ's. Will you bolt or weld to structural steel. You have to remember 700 euro here, 50 euro there, own labour to do some concrete work is difference between shed costing 25K and 40K.
28-08-2014, 20:47   #30
lakill Farm

anyone ever use Maxwell slats from outside Mullingar

know 2 lads who bought them in the last 2 years and had a lad here last week from galway area and said he bought them and so did about 6 neighbour's. were cheaper than anyone else and also had loads in stock so were not "fresh"

btw - no business or personal connection

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion