Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-06-2020, 21:15   #481

It happened to me
I had to replace the console unfortunately
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-07-2020, 00:01   #482
RobertKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortelaro View Post
It happened to me
I had to replace the console unfortunately
damn and they are costly
01-07-2020, 01:18   #483
Danno

Hold down the Done button for a few moments
01-07-2020, 08:07   #484
RobertKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Hold down the Done button for a few moments
I did that but it doesn’t solve it.
01-07-2020, 09:46   #485
dolanbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKK View Post
I did that but it doesn’t solve it.
Do you know anyone local that is handy with electronics, could be a simple fix.

Loose wire, dry joint etc

If not, there may be a website dedicated to repairing these consoles as they are expensive enough to make simple repairs worthwhile.
EDIT: or try Davis themselves http://www.davis.com/Repairs

Last edited by dolanbaker; 01-07-2020 at 09:52.
Advertisement
26-08-2020, 15:51   #486
The_Outsider

Hi all, some advice needed please.
So I've had a Vantage Vue for the last 3 years and while it's been fairly reliable its slowly but surely failing. First to go was the humidity sensor, then the bearing in the anemometer (which I replaced), it constantly complains about low battery despite changing multiple times and now the external temperature sensor has gone.

A replacement senor suite for this model is £240. I'm feeling like I'm throwing money at this thing constantly so while browsing for spares I came across the Ventus W830 which looks lovely, and retails for £169.

Have I a lemon of a Vantage Vue or is this the typical life expectancy with the Vue ?
Has anyone any experience with the Ventus? Worth a shot?

Thx.
26-08-2020, 19:19   #487
Comhra

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Outsider View Post
Have I a lemon of a Vantage Vue or is this the typical life expectancy with the Vue ?

Thx.
I have a Vantage Vue for over ten years now and the only major issue I had was having to replace the humidity sensor about three years ago. Occasionally I get the low battery message but it goes away about two days after I replace the batteries - either the external one or the console ones, whichever are exhausted.

Otherwise it has been faultless.
27-08-2020, 10:31   #488
The_Outsider

Thanks Comhra,
Sounds like you are getting decent mileage out of your Vue. It is probably my site that is slowly killing mine - very exposed on a pole on top of a hill so it takes quite the beating.
27-08-2020, 12:36   #489
mickger844posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Outsider View Post

Thx.
I also have my Vue nearly 10 years and overall it has served me well. I had the issue with Low Battery Warnings from the ISS but fixed this by applying Dielectric Grease to a set of contacts in the battery compartment. Note not the actual Battery Contacts.
Also my Humidity sensor won’t read above 90% but I use a different sensor for my station so not reflecting on my websites readings.
Obviously the Vue has its limitations as it’s an all in one solution but i don’t regret buying it nearly a decade ago.
Advertisement
30-08-2020, 15:38   #490
Chris_5339762

Ok so I'm in a bit of a quandry weather station wise, want to see what others think. Its time for me to get a new weather station as my one is very broken now. It was an old Maplin model.

But the problem is which to get. The EU models seem vastly inferior to the US models and importing them is tricky because of the frequency issues. The two US ones and the Davis are as follows -

1) Davis Vantage Vue or Pro 2. (Both extremely expensive, are very good, but the console is wildly outdated and connection to the internet is atrocious).

2) Ambient Weather WS 2902A. (Absolutely lovely weather station but not an EU frequency, website is not available in EU at all, hard to get here)

3) Weatherflow Tempest. (Not available in EU, unknown frequency issues for EU market too).

So all three that I want are just out of reach at the moment. So I was looking on Amazon for a cheapy one to tide me over until one of the above three either get updated, or have EU availability.

Does anyone have any recommendations on any weather stations on Amazon at the moment? A few hundred euros really but all I'm seeing on there is cheap relabeled/crappy Chinese knockoffs, and nothing in anyway decent or anyway close to any of the three above.

Are we really that screwed in the EU market versus the US?
30-08-2020, 18:09   #491
joujoujou

Yes, we're really screwed in the EU.

They also have Acurite Atlas, decent one IMO:

https://the-gadgeteer.com/2018/11/04...tation-review/

Their home page won't even open for EU viewers, unless you use VPN to deceive them.
30-08-2020, 22:21   #492
mayo.mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5339762 View Post
Ok so I'm in a bit of a quandry weather station wise, want to see what others think. Its time for me to get a new weather station as my one is very broken now. It was an old Maplin model.

But the problem is which to get. The EU models seem vastly inferior to the US models and importing them is tricky because of the frequency issues. The two US ones and the Davis are as follows -

1) Davis Vantage Vue or Pro 2. (Both extremely expensive, are very good, but the console is wildly outdated and connection to the internet is atrocious).

2) Ambient Weather WS 2902A. (Absolutely lovely weather station but not an EU frequency, website is not available in EU at all, hard to get here)

3) Weatherflow Tempest. (Not available in EU, unknown frequency issues for EU market too).

So all three that I want are just out of reach at the moment. So I was looking on Amazon for a cheapy one to tide me over until one of the above three either get updated, or have EU availability.

Does anyone have any recommendations on any weather stations on Amazon at the moment? A few hundred euros really but all I'm seeing on there is cheap relabeled/crappy Chinese knockoffs, and nothing in anyway decent or anyway close to any of the three above.

Are we really that screwed in the EU market versus the US?
Do they have those on gearbest?
30-08-2020, 22:25   #493
ZeRoY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo.mick View Post
Do they have those on gearbest?
Dont think Gearbest has any weather stations besides the < $50 desktop stuff. Personally got a Bresser 5in1 Wireless few weeks back, its very good other than the fact it doesnt let you access the data - you must go via Weather Underground or/and WeatherCloud which is a bit of a letdown considering there is a webserver running on the unit

The exact model I got is the 7002580, bought from the WeatherShop UK
31-08-2020, 10:44   #494
The_Outsider

Chris_5339762 I watched a review of the Ambient Weather one you mentioned about and from what I can see, other that the multicoloured text on the console display, it's pretty identical to the Ventus W830 I'm looking at on weatherspares.co.uk

In the description it says " Weather Underground, Weather Cloud and also the UK MetOffice WoW service. In Summer 2019 Ventus has also added the ability to upload data to the Ecowitt network and your own web server using custom settings."

That should be available in Ireland right?

I'm pretty sold on this device and just want to do a bit more digging on it. Plus it's out of stock at minute.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion