Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: What date should we have it?
Sunday 27th October 26 83.87%
Monday 28th October 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  

08-10-2013, 16:17   #1
bcmf

Boards cycle against cancer

Following on from Le Petit Braquets post in the adverts section about his cancer I am gonna see if there is an interest in a spin.
Almost everyone who will read this has been touched by cancer
So how about we organise a spin and raise some funds.

Only requirement is that you make a minimum donation of €10 to LPB's charity page which is the Hospice and The Irish Cancer society who ,lets face it, provide a heroic service.
EVEN IF YOU DONT CYCLE OR DONT WANT TO TAKE PART TRY AND MAKE A DONATION AS ITS GOING STRAIGHT TO REALLY GOOD CAUSES.

Quote:
Wearing of The Green (and Pink)

Boards Social Spin - 27/10/2013

Fancy a spin before the winter kicks in? Don your lovely Boards Jersey, come for a spin and raise some money while you are at it.

Meeting under the bridge at Dundrum. Route will be up to Enniskerry, Powerscourt Waterfall, up to Glencree (Coffee Stop) home over the Featherbeds.

It's not a race but there will be a prize for the most 'Euro' Boardsie (assuming Raam doesn't come, then all bets are off).

Unofficial and unsupported. We would like everyone who is coming to make a donation to the mycharity.ie page set up by our friend and fellow Boardsie le petit braquet

If you don't have a Boards Jersey you can still come but you have to wear some item of pink clothing. Lime Green will also be accepted.

410FTW.
Link to LPB's mycharity page

Full details (from post #163):
Quote:
Originally Posted by daragh_ View Post
Sunday 27th of October

Meeting Point - Northside

Phoenix Park. Entrance at the corner of North Circular and Infirmary Road.

Leaving at 9.15

Meeting Point - Southside

http://goo.gl/maps/N6d1N
Just up from Luas Bridge at Dundrum. From 9.45
Leaving from Dundrum at 10/10.15
(Please be aware Orwell Spins leave from outside Joe Daly's until 9.30 so don't get confused)

Route

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=619341

47k. Opt out point at Glencree (where it's all downhill to Enniskerry).

Coffee Stop (You'll be buying your own coffee - so bring cash!)

http://www.glencree.ie/site/armoury_cafe.htm

I've emailed them to let them know we will be there.

Pace will be relaxed, sedate, chilled out and other words for slow. This is a nice morning spin, not a race. While most of us are Boardsies this is an unofficial spin and isn't organised or connected with Boards.ie, so any risk is your own. There is no mechanical support so please make sure you are self sufficient - bring tubes, pump etc. If you do get a puncture or mechanical there will be plenty of people willing to tell you how to fix it properly. The route isn't particularly challenging but there are a few hills. Don't worry about keeping up or slowing anyone down.

Last edited by Beasty; 15-10-2013 at 14:23. Reason: Details inserted
(82) thanks from:
07Lapierre, Alek, AstraMonti, Beasty, Bigus, Blowfish, Boards.ie: Nicola, bobcranfret, brayblue24, buffalo, Caroline_ie, Carpenter, CheGuedara, coastwatch, colm18, CramCycle, Crow92, Daithi BC, daragh_, Darkglasses, dastardly00, del_boy13, derealbadger, Dermot Illogical, detones, DirkVoodoo, dogsears, doozerie, ednwireland, fondriest, ford2600, funkyjebus, funnights74, G rock, g0g, ghogie91, godtabh, greenmat, helimachoptor, Hermy, Inquitus, Jawgap, jimm, Keep_Her_Lit, kerry4sam, Kinet1c, KonFusion, lennymc, Lepidoptera, Lusk_Doyle, Matt Bianco, MB Lacey, morana, Mr. Manager, Mr.Fred, Ole Rodrigo, Paranoid Mandroid, Paul Kiernan, Pembily, Planet X, P_1, RacoonQueen, rflynnr, RobFowl, Roger Hassenforder, Ryath, Scuba_Scoper, sled driver, Slogger Jogger, smacl, Squidgy Black, stampydmonkey, Super Freak, sy, The tax man, Tomred13, TonyStark, veetwin, Wibbs, Wishbone Ash, yop, _rebelkid
Advertisement
08-10-2013, 16:19   #2
daragh_

Cool your jets - stuff already afoot!
08-10-2013, 16:20   #3
MB Lacey

Great idea
Thanks from:
08-10-2013, 16:21   #4
daragh_

Also, yes. Great idea.
08-10-2013, 16:22   #5
bcmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by daragh_ View Post
Cool your jets - stuff already afoot!
post it then for the trigger happy amongst us
Advertisement
08-10-2013, 16:38   #6
Carpenter

Send a message via MSN to Carpenter
Great idea I can get a few lads I hope but they are southsiders and will more than likely want to stay on this side of the water
08-10-2013, 16:43   #7
yop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmf View Post
Following on from Le Petit Braquets post in the adverts section I am gonna see if there is an interest in this.
Almost everyone who will read this has been touched by cancer.I lost my mother last year,my father is currently waging a war with it.My wife lost both her parents to it.I think its safe to say everyone knows someone who has been touched by it.
So how about we organise a spin.
Some Sat or Sun starting in Howth for the northsiders all along the coast to the Southside where we can meet up with the southsiders then back to Howth where the northsiders can finish up and the southsiders can head back down the coast to the Southside.
So in effect Howth - Southside point- Howth - Southside point.

Only requirement is that you make a minimum donation of €10 to LPB's charity page which is the Hospice and The Irish Cancer society who ,lets face it, provide a heroic service

Boardsie's what say you.....?

I am on the phone so will tidy this up later and add links etc.
Le Petit Braquets is been consulted on this by the mods on the forum and will see what happens, but totally agree that since we are large community and its one of "ours" then it would be great.
I will head up from Mayo for it all going well.
08-10-2013, 16:45   #8
Squidgy Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by yop View Post
Le Petit Braquets is been consulted on this by the mods on the forum and will see what happens, but totally agree that since we are large community and its one of "ours" then it would be great.
I will head up from Mayo for it all going well.
I don't see any reason why it can't be done, once they clear it past DaV and the rest of the lads at Boardsie headquarters, and there's a mycharity.ie webpage set up, it'll be fine.
08-10-2013, 16:45   #9
godtabh

depending on time/day I maybe able to do it this sunday
Advertisement
08-10-2013, 16:46   #10
Beasty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmf View Post
post it then for the trigger happy amongst us
daragh_ pm'd the mods with a suggestion. We wanted to run it past LPB before posting details.
Thanks from:
08-10-2013, 16:52   #11
NeedMoreGears

Count me in - I'll come along if I can make or else sponsor someone
08-10-2013, 17:00   #12
Carpenter

Send a message via MSN to Carpenter
With the amount of cyclists here this could take a bit of organization I for 1 would help out any way I could.

Last edited by Carpenter; 08-10-2013 at 17:55.
Thanks from:
08-10-2013, 17:45   #13
detones

Im in whatever is organised. Reading le petits post was humbling stuff. Puts things into perspective. Brave man.
(2) thanks from:
08-10-2013, 17:52   #14
Tomred13

great idea, count me in.
08-10-2013, 18:02   #15
bcmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
daragh_ pm'd the mods with a suggestion. We wanted to run it past LPB before posting details.
Excellent stuff.
Trigger happy.
Thread Closed