Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[DISCUSSION] Let's just give a family a house.

Options
  • 30-08-2013 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

I was at a baseball game last night, and a wounded veteran was called out on the field with his family. He lost a leg in Afghanistan after an IED explored. A construction company donated a house to him and his family and he now gets to live mortgage free.

There are 613,742 accounts on boards.ie, the current most viewed thread on boards has over 8,000 replies. We easily have the ability to put a family in need of help into a 3 bed house for €10 each if 10,000 of us chip in a tenner each.

I'm sure everyone is feeling the pinch, but how about if someone didn't have to emigrate, or see themselves out on the street, or end up living with relatives?

Could boards do this, and have the satisfaction of saying "Yeah, that house, we gave it to that family" I'm sure Santa Strike Force has come across someone who needs this and can suggest the family we do it for. We have also had the suggestion that a Priory Hall family gets it.

I'm in. We can do this by Christmas.

I pledge €10.

Who's with me?

Pledges here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86296658#post86296658

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I'm out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I like the idea, I would give 100 euros if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

MadsL wrote: »
    I was at a baseball game last night, and a wounded veteran was called out on the field with his family. He lost a leg in Afghanistan after an IED explored. A construction company donated a house to him and his family and he now gets to live mortgage free.

That's not charity, it's organized pity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Giving away houses to needy families is a noble effort but it just won't fly in this country, especially with so many people up to their necks with massive mortgages to pay off. The Banks and Gov't wouldn't be too happy about it, not that they could stop it I'd imagine, but they'd find a way to make it less appealing.

What would piss you off is there are thousands of houses are the country unoccupied as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Like I imagine the family give a shit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Would the family not be liable for CAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yup, Kickstarter for the pitied. Maybe I should've begged Boards for money to treat my dad.

Oh wait, I'm not that effing weakminded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

This only plays into the hands of our property tax-charging corrupt overlords who are following through with the bank bailout.

Its bad enough that im sticking around in Ireland myself for the government to bleed me dry in years to come I certainly wouldnt encourage anyone to make the same choice. If you see a chance at a better life by emigrating then go for it. Dont be a sucker like me, sticking around in this place.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Giving away houses to needy families is a noble effort but it just won't fly in this country, especially with so many people up to their necks with massive mortgages to pay off. The Banks and Gov't wouldn't be too happy about it, not that they could stop it I'd imagine, but they'd find a way to make it less appealing.

What would piss you off is there are thousands of houses are the country unoccupied as it is.

F*ck the banks.
    F*ck the Govt.

Let's just do it. A tenner each, c'mon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

sure. then all we have to do is not work, stay poor, look sad etc and everyone on boards will buy us a house.

• Advertisement

Would the family not be liable for CAT?

999 year lease.

I like the idea, I would give 100 euros if I could.

Can I start you off with a tenner?

Who picks the family for this benevolence? Will there be a draw?

Yup, Kickstarter for the pitied. Maybe I should've begged Boards for money to treat my dad.

Oh wait, I'm not that effing weakminded.

No-one is begging here, I'm proposing making an incredible gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

F*ck the banks.
    F*ck the Govt.

Let's just do it. A tenner each, c'mon.

Who is gonna organise all this?
    Who would choose who gets the house?
    Who is gonna be in charge of all this money??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

999 year lease.
    So who owns it and pays property tax? Those who donated €10? Great, especially if you already own a home and this is classed as a share in a second home. If the family live rent free it is still classed as a benefit-in-kind and taxable.

What happens if one of the co-owners die or are declared bankrupt?

Nice idea, but not workable.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

Oh yeah. Lets say we give you that tenner. Whats to stop you feckin' off to Australia?

Jake1 wrote: »
    Who picks the family for this benevolence? Will there be a draw?

Like I said -I'm sure SSF has come across a family, or we could ask an organisation like Simon to pick someone.

I don't think anyone involved should pick, I personally don't much care who gets it as long as they need it.

A tenner is a couple of pints or a life-changing gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Yeah, no I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

They could sell it straight after!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I pledge a doorbell and a radiator.

your welcome.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

WTF has Afghanistan got to do with us ??

US spends one trillion dollars on "defence" a year

The US army has a budget of $523,000 for each of it's active personnel per year https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Armed_Forces

The problem is nothing to do with lack of money, it's just how it's prioritised.

lookup the % of homeless people that were ex-servicemen

Or look at it another way during the recession the net income of three months of the top 100 richest people in the world would end world poverty. THE PROBLEM IS NOT A LACK OF MONEY, JUST THE DISTRIBUTION.

http://www.oxfam.org/en/pressroom/pressrelease/2013-01-19/annual-income-richest-100-people-enough-end-global-poverty-four-times

poor people helping each other just means the super rich don't have to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Like I said -I'm sure SSF has come across a family, or we could ask an organisation like Simon to pick someone.

I don't think anyone involved should pick, I personally don't much care who gets it as long as they need it.

A tenner is a couple of pints or a life-changing gift.

I'm in anyway. but there's alot of details need sorting before ya can ask people to donate. Maybe if these details were sorted ya wouldn't be getting negative feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

WTF has Afghanistan got to do with us ??

US spends one trillion dollars on "defence" a year

The US army has a budget of $523,000 for each of it's active personnel per year https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Armed_Forces

The problem is nothing to do with lack of money, it's just how it's prioritised.

lookup the % of homeless people that were ex-servicemen

Or look at it another way during the recession the net income of three months of the top 100 richest people in the world would end world poverty. THE PROBLEM IS NOT A LACK OF MONEY, JUST THE DISTRIBUTION.

http://www.oxfam.org/en/pressroom/pressrelease/2013-01-19/annual-income-richest-100-people-enough-end-global-poverty-four-times

poor people helping each other just means the super rich don't have to

"Do you really think we spend $5000 on a hammer?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Who's gonna get the house? We should all give reasons as to why we think we're the most deserving. I'll get the ball rolling.

I think I should get the house, 'cause i'm great. In fact, I think I should get two of them in case I don't like the first one. Vote me! Thanks :)

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Who is gonna organise all this?
    Who would choose who gets the house?
    Who is gonna be in charge of all this money??
    So who owns it and pays property tax? Those who donated €10? Great, especially if you already own a home and this is classed as a share in a second home. If the family live rent free it is still classed as a benefit-in-kind and taxable.

What happens if one of the co-owners die or are declared bankrupt?

Nice idea, but not workable.
    hansfrei wrote: »
    Oh yeah. Lets say we give you that tenner. Whats to stop you feckin' off to Australia?

I propose a pledge system. There is no tax payable on €10 per person given to you. They can own they house outright if needed, and the €10 pledged will be collected into one account to buy the house cash. I suspect the family will be liable for the property tax, but they would be paying rent somewhere anyway.

I'd have to talk to the Admins but I'm sure boards could validate bona-fides and the fact that I or other organisers would have no access to the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

As per my previous post , does anyone know a plumber ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If Boards were gonna do it, they'd at least give it to an Irish family.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The money can rest in my account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

i'll do it too,

i propose to make it 11 euro and add a small bit of land/garden space

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement