Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
12-01-2018, 20:47   #3376
scottigael
Registered User
 
scottigael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by navi View Post
Prayer might be your best bet alright! You could try a councillor but I don't know how much influence they would have. The people making the decisions are I guess the people in the videos on this page:
Thanks anyway. If anyone else has any suggestions I'm open to them. Such a shame as its literally right up the road theres a blue house on the map getting it and we're down a little further, a few houses not getting it. Maybe when the lads come in a few months and start doing the work I can beg them/brown envelope job to see if they can extend the cables a few hundred more meters.

Last edited by scottigael; 12-01-2018 at 21:33.
scottigael is online now  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-01-2018, 21:38   #3377
jgbyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,114
The blue area starts at the top of our road but we're not included, have to wait for NBP. The cable wilI be passing outside our house to get to these houses but when I contacted Openeir to see if there was any possibility of being included, I was told no. Wish there was a way.
jgbyr is offline  
Thanks from:
12-01-2018, 21:46   #3378
scottigael
Registered User
 
scottigael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbyr View Post
The blue area starts at the top of our road but we're not included, have to wait for NBP. The cable wilI be passing outside our house to get to these houses but when I contacted Openeir to see if there was any possibility of being included, I was told no. Wish there was a way.
Thanks, I suppose that puts it to bed then. Out of curiosity how did you contact them? I can't find much contact info for them.
scottigael is online now  
12-01-2018, 21:52   #3379
jgbyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottigael View Post
Thanks, I suppose that puts it to bed then. Out of curiosity how did you contact them? I can't find much contact info for them.
Hi, I emailed them at fibrepower@openeir.ie
They only quoted the website & said that my address wasn't included in the 300k so couldn't be done. They didnt even comment on the fact that the cable would be passing outside the home. Computer says no & that's that!
jgbyr is offline  
Thanks from:
14-01-2018, 09:53   #3380
AidenL
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbyr View Post
Hi, I emailed them at fibrepower@openeir.ie
They only quoted the website & said that my address wasn't included in the 300k so couldn't be done. They didnt even comment on the fact that the cable would be passing outside the home. Computer says no & that's that!
I’m in the exact same boat, house is being passed, yet won’t be connected.
AidenL is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
18-01-2018, 19:18   #3381
onrail
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
I’m in the exact same boat, house is being passed, yet won’t be connected.
I might be in a similar boat - we're situated down a private lane, about 200m from the line BUT the postcode checker states that fibre is available to our address.

Does anyone know if there would be additional costs or issues to connect?
onrail is offline  
20-01-2018, 18:48   #3382
KeRbDoG
Registered User
 
KeRbDoG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by navi View Post
Ask and you shall receive!
An update should be nigh! hopefully this will be the last update to show my place as 'coming soon'
KeRbDoG is offline  
Thanks from:
26-01-2018, 15:10   #3383
DrPhilG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,249
Apologies if I'm asking daft questions but I'm struggling to find accurate info.

I'm in rural Donegal and have Eir phone and broadband. My usual speeds are about 2mbps down at best and maybe .3mbps up although I downloaded a 40GB game last week and it took about 4 hours which suggests my average is much less.

I've spoken to reps at Bonkers.ie who said I was in a black spot and would be better looking at satellite providers.

Spoke to Eir via online chat who were entirely useless.

Spoke to a guy in an Eir store who wasn't much better even though I gave him my eircode.

Eir's line checker says I can currently get "up to 5mbps" at present but that I am on the "rural fibre rollout programme".

Today I browsed the map here which was more promising, it shows a yellow line (rural fibre route) heading just passed my house. There are 5 houses reached by that yellow line and I'm the 4th! My house also shows as a blue circle which means it is planned for fibre.

The rural exchange timeline shows my nearest town as having a forecast date of "First half 2018".

So I have 2 questions.

1 - How accurate are those predictions for the first half of 2018? Anyone else already been reached and if so were you on time or late?

2 - Is this newly acquired fibre broadband likely to cost an arm and a leg?
DrPhilG is offline  
26-01-2018, 15:22   #3384
navi
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhilG View Post
Apologies if I'm asking daft questions but I'm struggling to find accurate info.

I'm in rural Donegal and have Eir phone and broadband. My usual speeds are about 2mbps down at best and maybe .3mbps up although I downloaded a 40GB game last week and it took about 4 hours which suggests my average is much less.

I've spoken to reps at Bonkers.ie who said I was in a black spot and would be better looking at satellite providers.

Spoke to Eir via online chat who were entirely useless.

Spoke to a guy in an Eir store who wasn't much better even though I gave him my eircode.

Eir's line checker says I can currently get "up to 5mbps" at present but that I am on the "rural fibre rollout programme".

Today I browsed the map here which was more promising, it shows a yellow line (rural fibre route) heading just passed my house. There are 5 houses reached by that yellow line and I'm the 4th! My house also shows as a blue circle which means it is planned for fibre.

The rural exchange timeline shows my nearest town as having a forecast date of "First half 2018".

So I have 2 questions.

1 - How accurate are those predictions for the first half of 2018? Anyone else already been reached and if so were you on time or late?

2 - Is this newly acquired fibre broadband likely to cost an arm and a leg?
1) Without knowing if work has started in the area it is hard to say if the deadline is accurate. Have you seen any evidence of work being done, poles replaced, access chambers being built or replaced, cable being put on poles etc? It is usually KN Networks doing this work so look out for their vans.

Plenty of people in https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057499489 have been connected, some on time, some with delays.

2) https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/
Some eir bundles there. Discounts on the first 12 months with prices going up after that. Other suppliers are available on http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ (the circular green home icons)
navi is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-01-2018, 16:30   #3385
DrPhilG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,249
Ouch, €76 a month according to that.
DrPhilG is offline  
26-01-2018, 16:40   #3386
navi
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhilG View Post
Ouch, €76 a month according to that.
Not sure where you are seeing €76 but for example 150Mb with eir is €45 x 6 months then €50 x 6 months so €570 for the year. Then after 12 months you switch to another supplier say Digiweb at €54.95 for 12 months although this doesn't include phone calls.

Obviously higher speeds are more expensive.
navi is offline  
Thanks from:
26-01-2018, 16:49   #3387
DrPhilG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by navi View Post
Not sure where you are seeing €76 but for example 150Mb with eir is €45 x 6 months then €50 x 6 months so €570 for the year. Then after 12 months you switch to another supplier say Digiweb at €54.95 for 12 months although this doesn't include phone calls.

Obviously higher speeds are more expensive.
Clicked on the link on my phone and it was only offering 3 choices, although I think they were all 100mbps.

I'd be delighted with a fraction of that after 12 years of dross.

I'm currently paying on average €60 a month for phone and crap broadband.
DrPhilG is offline  
Thanks from:
26-01-2018, 16:49   #3388
garroff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by navi View Post
Not sure where you are seeing €76 but for example 150Mb with eir is €45 x 6 months then €50 x 6 months so €570 for the year. Then after 12 months you switch to another supplier say Digiweb at €54.95 for 12 months although this doesn't include phone calls.

Obviously higher speeds are more expensive.
Have 300Mb from Eir. Costs both arms and 1 leg. Hope I can move to Sky when my contract is expired, even at 100Mb
garroff is offline  
26-01-2018, 16:52   #3389
navi
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhilG View Post
Clicked on the link on my phone and it was only offering 3 choices, although I think they were all 100mbps.

I'd be delighted with a fraction of that after 12 years of dross.

I'm currently paying on average €60 a month for phone and crap broadband.
The speed you order should be the speed you get so 150Mb, 300Mb or 1000Mb. None of this up to nonsense.
navi is offline  
26-01-2018, 16:55   #3390
garroff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by navi View Post
The speed you order should be the speed you get so 150Mb, 300Mb or 1000Mb. None of this up to nonsense.
Not quite. I'm contracted 300Mb. Max I ever got is 270. Minimum 95. Eir tech. not interested." If you have light you have fibre."
garroff is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet