Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-03-2013, 09:36   #1
whomitconcerns

Aer Lingus stopping flights to Bucharest end of April

Anyone know anything about this..just found out last night. They cant tell me anything. Its a busy flight so not sure what the situation is?

Thanks
(sorry this should have been travel forum i guess, just realised that i clicked on the wrong search result to post)
Advertisement
05-03-2013, 10:15   #2
dudara
Administrator

Moved to the Travel forum

dudara
Thanks from:
05-03-2013, 10:22   #3
BuffyBot

Busy doesn't mean profitable. If they figure out they can earn more by using the plane elsewhere, that's what they will do.
05-03-2013, 10:37   #4
whomitconcerns

yes i get that, but very curious, as not the cheapest flight, and full about 90% of the time I flew, and I have taken this flight quite regularly for last 4 years. There appears to be nothing publicised about it is the reason i am querying. Aer lingus don't even say on their website, i called the help desk last night and was told...but that was all they said
05-03-2013, 17:44   #5
coylemj

Typically Aer Lingus wouldn't give a reason for ending a route. Mick O'Leary does it in a blaze of publicity to get at the airport in question (most recently Stanstead) if he doesn't like their rates or for any other reason he can dream up.

Giving a reason simply throws the issue up for debate (talk to Joe etc.) and provides an agenda for people who want them to keep the route open so I can understand why Aer Lingus would choose not to say anything. It's a commercial decision and most companies don't want to get involved in a public debate about how they run their business.
Advertisement
06-03-2013, 13:51   #6
munchkin_utd

who knows why they have cancelled but at least theres another airline running a similar twice weekly service
http://www.blueairweb.com/
Sure it might work out for the best if they step into the lurch and offer flights on more days of the week than is currently available.
06-03-2013, 14:18   #7
whomitconcerns

yes have flown blue many times, one way its great but the other way most of year leaves dublin at 1.30am and arrives there at 7.30am...so...ouch
10-03-2013, 00:43   #8
OffalyPuzzled

Hello Travellers-to-Bucharest.
I've booked to travel to Bucharest at the end of March with two children on Blue Air.
We chose Blue Air since the date/times suited better than Aer Lingus, but now I'm regretting our choice as
I've been reading some horror stories online wrt service, reliability, etc with Blue Air.
I'm starting to think that I might cancel..
I would be grateful if you could give me your experiences with this airline.

Many thanks.
10-03-2013, 00:46   #9
Jamie2k9

Blue Air flights from Dublin seem to be fine on time almost all the time etc. Its the times DUB flights operate at which are in its favour for delays etc.

Aer Lingus dropping the route its not because it was loss making etc, its because they can make more money flying the aircraft to Faro and Palma in the summer. They may resume in the winter but unlikely.

Might give Wizz Air a chance to operate it from DUB but Ryanair will most likely jump on it as soon as it happens so it probably wont.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-03-2013, 09:10   #10
rtw

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffalyPuzzled View Post
Hello Travellers-to-Bucharest.
I've booked to travel to Bucharest at the end of March with two children on Blue Air.
We chose Blue Air since the date/times suited better than Aer Lingus, but now I'm regretting our choice as
I've been reading some horror stories online wrt service, reliability, etc with Blue Air.
I'm starting to think that I might cancel..
I would be grateful if you could give me your experiences with this airline.

Many thanks.
I flew home from Bucharest with Blueair a couple of years ago, no problems with them at all! Don't see any need to cancel
Thanks from:
10-03-2013, 20:16   #11
OffalyPuzzled

Thanks for the re assurance. Not usually a nervous traveller but extra pre cautious this time when going with first time fliers.
14-03-2013, 20:04   #12
bigneacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkin_utd View Post
who knows why they have cancelled but at least theres another airline running a similar twice weekly service
http://www.blueairweb.com/
Sure it might work out for the best if they step into the lurch and offer flights on more days of the week than is currently available.
Blueair have taken the opportunity with both hands and have upped their minimum fares to >€200 return pp.

I have flown this route several times with both Aer Lingus & BlueAir. Aer lingus were great, BlueAir not so much.

Really hope either ryanair or wizzair fill this void & quickly. Competition will force blueair back down on price.

Will be travelling toward the end of April with aer lingus, but it looks like my flights in june will end up through Luton :-(
15-03-2013, 00:05   #13
OffalyPuzzled

Hello bigneacy,
May I ask what do you mean by "BlueAir not so much" ?
Have you had specific issues? For example ???
How would you compare them with Ryanair?

Thanks in advance, Nervous Traveller.
15-03-2013, 12:38   #14
bigneacy

They probably compare quite well with Ryanair, but just in terms of a comparison between them and Aer Lingus on that partiular route, I found Aer Lingus to be much better at customer service and friendliness. The seats were a lot more comfortable too.

Is it Bucharest/Romania you are going to, or are you going further on from there?
15-03-2013, 14:17   #15
OffalyPuzzled

Hi bigneacy,

Just to Bucharest for two nights to visit some friends. So a quick visit. Not sure if they plan to bring us for a drive somewhere....kids might like to see Dracula's castle :-)

Thanks for the info on Blue Air. Seems they're not too bad so.
There were some hair-raising reviews on http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews136551.html
- hence my apprehension. Can't complain about the price (I booked last Sept).

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion