Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-02-2013, 11:40   #406
Calibos

Looks like if I want one to replace my ancient desktop I'll need the DVD version for €115. HDD from the dead laptop is sata and fine but it turns out the DVD-RW is the old ATAPI interface. Pulled a mini-sata drive from brothers laptop to install for test though but he'll be wanting that back
Advertisement
15-02-2013, 11:47   #407
Calibos

2. Gigs is more than enough but if the price difference between that and 4 is only 3 or 4 euro than you might as well get 4.
Thanks from:
15-02-2013, 11:56   #408
Calibos

The openelec 3.0 Final and MC001 specific build have been delayed another few days. Hoping it cuts down boot times. 3 of mine are booting in 28-31 seconds and one takes 50 strangely. If the specific build reduces those then it will have a total appliance feel now that I disabled EUP and can turn on and off with the remote without even having to use the shutdown menu. Kiosk mode will lock out most areas that technophobes can screw up. Parents are loving theirs.
15-02-2013, 12:38   #409
fish fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by witnessmenow View Post
XBMC remotes for your phone are the right job for controlling XBMC.

On android im using yatse and I find it very good.
Xbmc commander on my iPhone and iPad is good I have to say.
15-02-2013, 12:50   #410
quad_red

A question re what sort of storage to use - would a USB key be faster a standard HHD?

Are there any compatability issues with what USB to boot from? Do you need a certain speed/brand?

Cheers folks
Advertisement
15-02-2013, 12:55   #411
I Kill You Scum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad_red View Post
A question re what sort of storage to use - would a USB key be faster a standard HHD?

Are there any compatability issues with what USB to boot from? Do you need a certain speed/brand?

Cheers folks
A USB thumbdrive will boot noticeably slower. Once you are booted there won't be a huge difference but a regular HDD still has a big advantage in sequential read/write speed so anything involving large read or writes will obviously be quicker with a HDD. A thumbdrive will have a lower access time but im not sure that will benefit (noticeably) anywhere.

Its worth noting that some USB sticks are woefully slow compared to others. If you have a few lying around, benchmark them, the closer you get to 30MB/s the better.
Thanks from:
15-02-2013, 12:56   #412
quad_red

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Kill You Scum! View Post
A USB thumbdrive will boot noticeably slower. Once you are booted there won't be a huge difference but a regular HDD still has a big advantage in sequential read/write speed so anything involving large read or writes will obviously be quicker with a HDD.

Its worth noting that some USB sticks are woefully slow compared to others. If you have a few lying around, benchmark them, the closer you get to 30MB/s the better.
Cheers. I'll just throw a HDD in then
15-02-2013, 14:07   #413
MaceFace

What are people's boot times like?
With a (decent) new USB Thumbdrive with openelec, I boot in about 50 seconds.

Anyone have a HDD in theirs with openelec and getting better boot times?
15-02-2013, 14:36   #414
m8

Hi Calibos

How did you do this please as it sounds like a good idea to me?

Quote:
I disabled EUP and can turn on and off with the remote without even having to use the shutdown menu.
Advertisement
15-02-2013, 15:32   #415
Headshot

You know I went for windows 7 for the Arctic because I wanted some programs like bitlord etc but reading the last few pages it seems openelec is the way to go but im unsure about in terms of torrents etc

What I bought the Arctic for was to use it as my new media centre that I can watch my videos and use for torrents. Would openelec suit me?
15-02-2013, 15:43   #416
I Kill You Scum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot View Post
You know I went for windows 7 for the Arctic because I wanted some programs like bitlord etc but reading the last few pages it seems openelec is the way to go but im unsure about in terms of torrents etc

What I bought the Arctic for was to use it as my new media centre that I can watch my videos and use for torrents. Would openelec suit me?
OpenElec has a Transmission add-on for downloading torrents, and also SABnzbd, Couchpotato and Sickbeard.

XBMCbuntu is an alternative to OpenElec, its based on Ubuntu so you can do more stuff if that's what you want. Again, should be a lot lighter than Windows.

Last edited by I Kill You Scum!; 15-02-2013 at 15:46.
(2) thanks from:
15-02-2013, 15:51   #417
Calibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8 View Post
Hi Calibos

How did you do this please as it sounds like a good idea to me?
Press and hold DEL key during boot to enter bios. Go down to the peripheral menu item if I recall correctly and EUP is last item in that menu. Disable save and exit. The power button on the arctic remote or mce remote or harmony remote emulating an mce remote will now shut down the mc001 fully and turn it on from fully off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshot View Post

Are you storing your media content on a HDD in the unit itself? Afaik there are torrent client addons for XBMC on Openelec
Thanks from:
15-02-2013, 16:06   #418
Headshot

yes Im storing the media content on the HDD unit it self
15-02-2013, 18:15   #419
hangar18_

Well lads I'm finally setting mine up now
I'm goin with xbmcbuntu for now, have a 128GB SSD SanDisk installed that I got cheap off amazon and 4GB of ram. Will update later on how it all goes.
Thanks from:
15-02-2013, 20:52   #420
Calibos

With Win7 64bit now installed on one of mine on a 5200rpm Lappy HDD, its a mixed bag. Slower for the CPU usage to drop off after boot, web pages only slightly snappier than old dell, that is to say that page components still visibly load separately unlike brothers i5 where whole page appears in one go instantly. In other instances its obviously much snapper. ie multitasking. GPU much better so xbmc on top of win7 on this will be better than same on old dell. I dont game. So all in all a step up in most areas and similar in a few. Combine that with the fact that this is 1 tenth the size of the old dell, silent, doesn't guzzle lecky, doesn't turn room into a hotpress.

Put me down for another 2 on Monday

Going to order a 24" monitor while I'm at it. Thrilled to see a half decent one can be got for about €160 now
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion