Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-12-2012, 22:24   #1
rubberdiddies

Kindle....How to buy books?

Hi,

My Mam bought a kindle for her 16 year old grandson (my nephew), without doing a whole lot of research.

My idea was to buy an Amazon UK gift voucher, set him up with an Amazon UK account and let him work away with ordering books. but now I'm getting the impression that this wont be possible.

Can anyone suggest the best thing to do to enable him to buy books onto the kindle?

Thanks
Advertisement
15-12-2012, 23:16   #2
Mars Bar

Set him up the way you were going to and he can order books for the kindle through amazon. I think...
16-12-2012, 00:55   #3
implausible

Irish users have to order from Amazon.com. They will let you order from amazon.co.uk for a while, but without proof of a UK address, will stop you from using it and divert you to the .com site. Easiest thing to do? Set him up with a .com account and buy him .com vouchers.
(2) thanks from:
16-12-2012, 12:46   #4
rubberdiddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by implausible View Post
Irish users have to order from Amazon.com. They will let you order from amazon.co.uk for a while, but without proof of a UK address, will stop you from using it and divert you to the .com site. Easiest thing to do? Set him up with a .com account and buy him .com vouchers.
Thanks for the replies.
I actually already have the Amazon UK voucher, but i do have a relation in the UK and could possibly use their address.

I wonder would they accept my parcel motel address
16-12-2012, 12:50   #5
CarrickMcJoe

Just change your address to your relations UK one and off you go, I did the same thing by using my bros address.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
16-12-2012, 13:15   #6
Mars Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrickMcJoe View Post
Just change your address to your relations UK one and off you go, I did the same thing by using my bros address.
If the kindle (I'm talking kindle fire here) was bought and delivered in the UK but on an Irish credit card, would that restrict what I get? I could register mine on my sisters address but she bought it with an Irish credit card...
16-12-2012, 17:23   #7
implausible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Bar View Post
If the kindle (I'm talking kindle fire here) was bought and delivered in the UK but on an Irish credit card, would that restrict what I get? I could register mine on my sisters address but she bought it with an Irish credit card...
It's not really to do with the credit card and the postal address. If Amazon detect that you are using a non-UK IP address all the time, they will ask you to prove that your postal address is a UK one.
(2) thanks from:
16-12-2012, 19:24   #8
CarrickMcJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Bar View Post
No, I found that a lot of the books available here were not listed on American site which is why I switched to UK one. On it a year now and so far no problems, my card is also Irish and reciepts are sent to my eircom account.
Thanks from:
16-12-2012, 19:43   #9
fits

This is really annoying. I have the same problem, have to go to .com. Its more expensive for some of the things I want and I'm not using my kindle that much as a result.
Advertisement
16-12-2012, 20:00   #10
CarrickMcJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fits View Post
This is really annoying. I have the same problem, have to go to .com. Its more expensive for some of the things I want and I'm not using my kindle that much as a result.
Try changing your address on your kindle acc to a N. Ireland or UK one.
Pick any address as they wont know. (Just make sure you dont send any items there by accident)

They will send you an email welcoming you to UK store and youre in.
Thanks from:
16-12-2012, 20:22   #11
Mars Bar

Excellent, I'll use my sisters address so. Thank you!
16-12-2012, 20:25   #12
Lenin Skynard

Sorry to go slightly off topic but a friend of mine has a kindle and I need to get her something small so was thinking I could get her some book credit. Is it possible to buy kindle vouchers in bricks and mortar shops? If so, which shops?
16-12-2012, 20:31   #13
The Black Oil

Is there anything like a Kindle voucher, say in the same way there are iTunes ones? It would be great to just be able to load on X amount of credit and buy away until you run empty, would save relying on credit cards the whole time. But I guess rights issues trump this.
16-12-2012, 22:16   #14
implausible

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrickMcJoe View Post
Try changing your address on your kindle acc to a N. Ireland or UK one.
Pick any address as they wont know. (Just make sure you dont send any items there by accident)

They will send you an email welcoming you to UK store and youre in.
How long have you been doing this? Do you connect the kindle to wifi to purchase books? They've stopped me buying from the .uk store until I provide proof of uk address.
16-12-2012, 22:17   #15
implausible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin Skynard View Post
Is it possible to buy kindle vouchers in bricks and mortar shops? If so, which shops?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Oil View Post
Is there anything like a Kindle voucher, say in the same way there are iTunes ones?
Amazon gift card.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion