Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-12-2012, 10:20   #16
Richard Dower
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadamp View Post
most if not all reality shows are scripted in some way. If you just take them as entertainment and don't take them seriously you'll be fine
ice road truckers is scripted, but hugely entertaining. my issue is when the stars/production campany/channel lie about it being fake and scripted.
Advertisement
13-12-2012, 11:02   #17
Duck Soup

I'd always assumed there were a few planted items - or at least that the show runners and storage owners had checked the lockers out to make sure that day's lockers had some interest - but it's the stupidity of the buyers that's so compelling.

Barry Weiss buys a locker and tosses out everything but a tiny knick-knack. Darrell Sheets buys the same piece-of-crap locker, points at a stack of crap and says "That's 300 bucks, right there, all day long." I find myself shouting at the TV "No it's not! That's two and thruppence, if you're lucky." I need to get out more.

All reality TV is staged. It wouldn't be much of a show if people continually bought lockers full of discarded domestic items and made twenty dollars profit on each. I'm not sure the Hester 'disclosure' will even hurt the show that much. I know I'll tune in just to see if the nature of the lockers has changed.
Thanks from:
13-12-2012, 11:11   #18
2smiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Soup View Post
I'd always assumed there were a few planted items - or at least that the show runners and storage owners had checked the lockers out to make sure that day's lockers had some interest - but it's the stupidity of the buyers that's so compelling.

Barry Weiss buys a locker and tosses out everything but a tiny knick-knack. Darrell Sheets buys the same piece-of-crap locker, points at a stack of crap and says "That's 300 bucks, right there, all day long." I find myself shouting at the TV "No it's not! That's two and thruppence, if you're lucky." I need to get out more.

All reality TV is staged. It wouldn't be much of a show if people continually bought lockers full of discarded domestic items and made twenty dollars profit on each. I'm not sure the Hester 'disclosure' will even hurt the show that much. I know I'll tune in just to see if the nature of the lockers has changed.
i enjoy the show, even knowing it had a fair element of fakeness to it. But there valuation of the items is laughable. putting hundreds of dollars value on trash can get annoying to look at. barry is a friend of the producer i think, and fairly wealthy , but to see him trash most of the stuff in the locker is annoying.

at least in Pawn Stars , there is realistic values on the items, and they seem to pass on items they think are valued too high. no doubt interesting items are lined up for them, but that probably happens more naturally now as the fame of the show has grown
13-12-2012, 11:23   #19
Duck Soup

I agree with you Smiggy - Sheets in particular puts (unquestioned) valuations on absolute garbage and the counter in the corner just clocks up the numbers. I do wonder at the show's characters in general though. Only Hester seems to have made a living pre-show at buying lockers. Sheets claims to have been doing it for years, but given the ludicrous prices he puts on everything, you have to wonder.

Everyone else seems to have just appeared at the beginning of the first series. Same goes for Storage Wars Texas. Ricky and Bubba mirror Darrell and Brandon. Moe mirrors Barry. Victor is a variation of Barry's dilettante with too much money. Jenny Grumbles appears just to be eye candy, without the character and dynamic of Brandi on the original show.
13-12-2012, 11:25   #20
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
Not a moment to lose ginger!

Send a message via ICQ to Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

somewhat relevant
Advertisement
13-12-2012, 11:27   #21
Mr E
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2smiggy View Post
barry is a friend of the producer i think, and fairly wealthy , but to see him trash most of the stuff in the locker is annoying
He is looking for the rare or unusual. He donates most of what he finds to charity.
13-12-2012, 11:32   #22
SEPT 23 1989

Barry needs his own show
(5) thanks from:
13-12-2012, 11:37   #23
Duck Soup

Mary Padlan - the ahem "Junkster" - on SWT has to be the most ludicrous character yet. "I'll buy this desk of drawers and turn them into a double sink. What's that you say madam? You'll give me $1,000 for it?" Riiiiiight....
13-12-2012, 11:38   #24
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Are there people out there who actually believe most of these 'reality' shows are in fact reality? The American ones are horrific, with the rest of the worlds ones not too far behind.

Edit - granted some of them can be mildy fun/amusing yes, but its so blatantly obvious that its all for the camera
Advertisement
13-12-2012, 11:56   #25
ken

The fakest reality show out there has to be hardcore pawn. I only watch it in the hope that someone will punch les or his 2 kids in the face really hard.
13-12-2012, 12:09   #26
Merch
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post
The fakest reality show out there has to be hardcore pawn. I only watch it in the hope that someone will punch les or his 2 kids in the face really hard.
I've watched a few storage wars, dont like, suspected probably scripted but dont like the characters anyway.
Hardcore Pawn, annoying, hate the nasty family.

Pawn Stars (In Las vegas) I like, they have some interesting stuff on it,old guns and the like, plus they are pleasant and it actually seems quite genuine, they dont appear to be ripping people off (or at least they aren't being pleasant to the customers face, while gouging them and then going on about it behind their back like american guns, which I also think is part scripted too).
Or maybe Im being naive
13-12-2012, 12:11   #27
ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merch View Post
I've watched a few storage wars, dont like, suspected probably scripted but dont like the characters anyway.
Hardcore Pawn, annoying, hate the nasty family.

Pawn Stars (In Las vegas) I like, they have some interesting stuff on it,old guns and the like, plus they are pleasant and it actually seems quite genuine, they dont appear to be ripping people off (or at least they aren't being pleasant to the customers face, while gouging them and then going on about it behind their back like american guns, which I also think is part scripted too).
Or maybe Im being naive
What i really liked in pawn stars was where the woman came in with the broach looking for $2000 and rick told her it was worth more and offered her $14000. Probably scripted but looked good.
13-12-2012, 12:22   #28
Belfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEPT 23 1989 View Post
Barry needs his own show
He is getting his own show i can't find the link though

I was in the Pawn Stars shop in Las Vegas its a complete dump and very small with nearly everything over priced, well i thought so anyway.
Thanks from:
13-12-2012, 12:42   #29
youcancallmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merch View Post
Or maybe Im being naive
I was actually disappointed to find out the entire show is scripted
Fake customers with interesting items I can deal with but scripting doesn't even make sense to me. I would of thought that with people bringing in interesting items to sell there is no need to script every single line!?
I saw a script online before but can't seem to find it now?
Thanks from:
13-12-2012, 13:07   #30
Buttonftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Soup View Post

Hester is far, far worse for the bull**** valuations.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion