Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Raheny Shamrock Winter League (3, 2 & 1 Mile races)

Options
  • 26-11-2012 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

The infamous Raheny Winter League is back this Wed @ 8pm. Details:

Winter League Fixtures 2012/13
    ONE of the highlights of the club's racing programme, the annual Winter League begins next Wednesday night. This season the competition has been expanded - there are now a total of 11 rounds, comprising of four 2 mile, four 3 mile and three 1 mile races to conclude the series next April. The event is suitable for all runners, regardless of whether they're beginners or experienced.

Competitors will be categorised into four different Divisions, Premier, Division 1, Division 2, Division 3 and Division 4 giving virtually all competitors an opportunity to challenge for a podium finish. Winning the League is all about consistency and competing in as many races as possible.

Further details later.

The full fixture list for the 2012-2013 League is:

November
    Wed 28th Round 1 Raheny 8pm 3 Miles

December
    Wed 5th Rd 2 Raheny 8pm 2 Miles
    Wed 12th Rd 3 Raheny 8pm 3 Miles

January
    Wed 9th Rd 4 Raheny 8pm 3 Miles
    Wed 23rd Rd 5 Raheny 8pm 2 Miles

February
    Wed 6th Rd 6 Raheny 8pm 3 Miles
    Wed 20th Rd 7 (Donagh Lynch Memorial Race) Raheny 8pm 2 Miles

March
    Wed 6th Rd 8 Raheny 8pm 2 Miles
    Wed 20th Rd 9 Raheny 8pm 1 Mile

April
    Wed 3rd Rd 10 Raheny 8pm 1 Mile
    Wed 24th Rd 11 Raheny 8pm 1 Mile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread but seems like as good a place as any to ask this question. I've been thinking of joining a club recently and raheny is my local club. My two kids are juvenile members there too. Would this league series of races be a good way to start or would that be too much of a baptism of fire? See my training log here for an idea of what standard I am currently at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056795328 . PM me please if you think an offline chat may be worthwhile.

Thanks

RR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

RedRunner wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread but seems like as good a place as any to ask this question. I've been thinking of joining a club recently and raheny is my local club. My two kids are juvenile members there too. Would this league series of races be a good way to start or would that be too much of a baptism of fire? See my training log here for an idea of what standard I am currently at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056795328 . PM me please if you think an offline chat may be worthwhile.

Thanks

RR

You'll be fine with these.
    My 5km pb is 20:30 or so and I would normally be about top 40%.
    You will have people to run against for sure. There are usually in total about 40-60 people that take part in these. The €50 for 11 races is great value too.
    See ya there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Going to give a few of these a go. Will be good training leading up to the Raheny 5 at the end of January which is my goal race for start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Final details:

THE 2012-2013 Winter League begins tomorrow night (Wednesday), November 28 with a three mile race. Registration in the clubhouse from 7.15pm. Refreshments and presentation in the clubhouse afterwards. The League is been expanded this season andnow incorporates a total of 11 races - four three mile races, four two miles races and three one mile races to conclude the series next Spring.

Entry fee is €50 for the series or €7 per race. Competitors MUST finish a total of eight races in order to be eligible for the overall prizes. The first male and female in each race will receive a prize after each race. The event is suitable for runners of all standards with five different divisions, Premier, First, Second, Third and Fourth. Race director Pat Hooper will allocate athleties to their divisions after the first three rounds which are scheduled for before Christmas.

The first three finishers in each division will be awarded prizes at the end of the season. The outgoing champions are Premier John Canning: 1st Dave Gargan; 2nd John Freir; 3rd Helena Corcoran; 4th Connor Jennings.

Please wear reflective or light coloured clothing and no head phones please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Good to see you're back, mac. I might give these a miss, however. Haven't been running enough in general and the 5k's on Saturday are more than enough racing for me right now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Good man B. Good to hear you're still tipping away.

Advertisement