Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone have tips for Connemarathon Ultra 2013 Training Schedule

• 01-11-2012 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I am training for the Connemarathon Ultra next year. It will be my first Ultra but have done a few marathons including DCM this week.

I have been looking online for a training schedule that I can follow over the next few months and I have emailed Connemarathon to see if they can point me in the right direction.

I would love to work out a good schedule now and stick to it over the winter.

I was wondering if anyone on boards has done the Connemarathon Ultra, has a schedule or even some advice? I am going to try and piece toghether my own schedule based on info from varied online sources but any help/advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Hi, I am training for the Connemarathon Ultra next year. It will be my first Ultra but have done a few marathons including DCM this week.

I have been looking online for a training schedule that I can follow over the next few months and I have emailed Connemarathon to see if they can point me in the right direction.

I would love to work out a good schedule now and stick to it over the winter.

I was wondering if anyone on boards has done the Connemarathon Ultra, has a schedule or even some advice? I am going to try and piece toghether my own schedule based on info from varied online sources but any help/advice would be appreciated!

John Im no expert but have run the Ultra for the last 2 years. Basically I followed a normal marathon training plan but also included one 30 mile run. I also ran the Donadea 50K which I have to say was great preparation aswell.

This years thread if its any use to u ( half, marathon and ultra ) is here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056432844

Thread for Donadea 50K is here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056180196

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I have done it the last two years. Basically I did a marathon Programme as Liam says with some extra long LSR's and a few back to back long runs (building up to 20 on Saturday, followed by 20 on Sunday).

I built up the miles steadily peaking at 70 MPW for the 2011 Ultra and 80 MPW for the 2012 one.

Not that I did everything perfectly but if you want you can have a look through my Log http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055728014 to get an Idea what I was doing (look for between December 2010-March 2011 and Dec 2011-April 2012).

Best of Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Sort of the same as above.
    I ran portumna 50km on a slightly increased marathon plan and ran Dingle Ultra on a slightly reduced / modified 100km plan from the portumna site.
    As above the back to back long runs were the key changes over marathon plan.
    I had to fit my running around family/work so ended up doing back to back to back to back longish runs:eek:
    Not something I'm in a hurry to repeat and I would advise against making that mistake.
    I also threw in some long-long runs and lots of hilly runs in preparation for Dingle, obviously not enough of them given how I was in the later stages of it.
    Next year...next year.....
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Sort of the same, once more.

I have done the Ultra four times, including a top-10 finish (still behind Liamo123 :rolleyes: ). You can follow any marathon training plan you wish. If you are fit enough to run a marathon, you are fit enough to do the Connemara Ultra. The secret is in running slower.

If you wish to do so, you can alter the long runs in one of two ways, either run long runs on consecutive days, or extend the length of your long runs, up to 30-or-so miles. I used to do the former and now prefer the latter, but it's an individual preference. I wouldn't do more than one 30+ mile training run though, and the Donadea 50K in February is a great opportunity to get that one done in some like-minded company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Also planning conn ultra here, and also doing donadee!

Been doing some research over last while - op search the forum here, some brilliant threads on the ultra over last few years, there was a mentored thread a year or two ago, great to read now to get ideas :)

I have stated listening to the talk ultra podcast this week, some good stuff in what I have heard so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Back to back 20 milers! 30 mile runs! You Ultra Runners are all nuts! What am I getting myself in for?

Seems to be a good few people taking on distances greater than the marathon next year so would it be useful starting a thread for Ultra Training over Winter 2012 / Spring 2013 where those training for ultras (not just Connemara) can post about long runs or long back to back runs, give advice on how to progress through the training plans and offer tips on how they recovered from workouts, offer encouragement, etc, as we train through the next few months?

There are plenty of marathon training groups around the country and in August or September it's almost harder to avoid them than find them but most Ultra training seems to be an individual thing so maybe a thread here might help us group together and train as some sort of digitally connected group?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 johnsherwin

Thanks to liamo123 for the link to Connemarathon thread, that one is for 2012 so I have just started a new thread for Connemarathon 2013 here with advice from moderator. Probably best to keep all discussions in one place so I will probably close this one and hopefully we can chat on the other thread!

I think sharing tips for a long winter of training would be great!

Thanks to TFBubendorfer, will check out Donadea. Also thanks to tHE vAGGABOND, will try and track down the Ultra podcast.

Thanks for menoscemo too for the link to your training log, will read that with interest. Was considering starting one myself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

i was going to end up posting this type of thread as also planning on Donadea (already entered) and Connemara Ultra's this year, this saves me time asking the questions that have already been asked ;)

Just added some extra stuff to the connemara event thread which was created

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

have a look through my log,DO MORE MILES MEAN MORE IMPROVEMENT,it would have my training log for all this year in it,including conamara ultra.welcome on board

have a look through my log,DO MORE MILES MEAN MORE IMPROVEMENT,it would have my training log for all this year in it,including conamara ultra.welcome on board

Your log should come with a public health warning Ray. Most people would end up in a grave if they tried to do the amount of training you do :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

menoscemo wrote: »
    Your log should come with a public health warning Ray. Most people would end up in a grave if they tried to do the amount of training you do :D

I've not looked at his log yet but purely based on the fact he currently has 3753 miles clocked on the 1,000 mile challenge for 2012 and he's number 1 on the challenge I'd imagine its pretty insane :eek:

Hi Ray, that is an fascinating log. Scary but brilliant!

I think the ratio of my increasing fitness vs decreasing youth will hamper me hitting your level! But you are an inspiration.

My partner already thinks she is a running widow, how do you fit it all in!? We were laughing at the "hope the missus doesn't read this.

Thanks for your words of support!

b.harte wrote: »
    I ran portumna 50km on a slightly increased marathon plan and ran Dingle Ultra on a slightly reduced / modified 100km plan from the portumna site.
    As above the back to back long runs were the key changes over marathon plan.
    I had to fit my running around family/work so ended up doing back to back to back to back longish runs:eek:
    Not something I'm in a hurry to repeat and I would advise against making that mistake.
    I also threw in some long-long runs and lots of hilly runs in preparation for Dingle, obviously not enough of them given how I was in the later stages of it.
    Next year...next year.....
    :D

Thanks for that, will have a look at Portumna schedule. Was thinking of the Donadea, timing would be good for Connemara, but I found out it was 10 laps. Not fond of laps, putting me off a bit.

I have done it the last two years. Basically I did a marathon Programme as Liam says with some extra long LSR's and a few back to back long runs (building up to 20 on Saturday, followed by 20 on Sunday).

I built up the miles steadily peaking at 70 MPW for the 2011 Ultra and 80 MPW for the 2012 one.

Not that I did everything perfectly but if you want you can have a look through my Log http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055728014 to get an Idea what I was doing (look for between December 2010-March 2011 and Dec 2011-April 2012).

Best of Luck

Will have a look at your log. Thanks for tips, first run today since DCM, looking forward to getting out a bit more now :)

Thanks for that, will have a look at Portumna schedule. Was thinking of the Donadea, timing would be good for Connemara, but I found out it was 10 laps. Not fond of laps, putting me off a bit.

Portumna is 5k laps too. Don't worry about it, loads of people have done donadea and never any complaints. It sounds tough doing 10 laps but it really isn't. It means you get to have loads of support on the course.

Actually laps work out brilliantly.
    Or at least I thought so in Portumna.
    It takes the stress out of wondering where the next fuel station is as you will see the friendly faces on every lap.
    It's also great for giving / getting encouragement as you invariably see the same faces each lap.
    I was the same as you, dreaded the thoughts of 10 laps but looking forward to next year already.
    I'm signed up for Donadea, all I have to decide now is if I'll travel up that morning or stay the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Bigtime, I'd be in a wheelchair :-)

Hi Ray, that is an fascinating log. Scary but brilliant!

I think the ratio of my increasing fitness vs decreasing youth will hamper me hitting your level! But you are an inspiration.

My partner already thinks she is a running widow, how do you fit it all in!? We were laughing at the "hope the missus doesn't read this.

Thanks for your words of support!
    well john,how do i fit it all in,its not easy,early in the morning or late in the evening,not working at the moment so have a good bit of free time,but ya get lazy,welcome to the ultras lad:),its great but not for the wife,i just got a good earfull from mine:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

b.harte wrote: »
    Ive been through the portumna site and cant find any training plans... have you got a link?

• Advertisement

Trying to pick a good prep race before Connemara Ultra.

Was thinking Donadea, but one of my running mates has dodgy ankles and is concerned about uneven surface.

Looking at Clonakilty back to back 17th Feb. Would that be the right amount of effort 1.5 months before connemara ultra? Has anyone done it?

Trying to pick a good prep race before Connemara Ultra.

Was thinking Donadea, but one of my running mates has dodgy ankles and is concerned about uneven surface.

Looking at Clonakilty back to back 17th Feb. Would that be the right amount of effort 1.5 months before connemara ultra? Has anyone done it?

Back to back marathons would be a bit much for Conn Ultra I think. It would be good training for a 50 mile race.

BTW the surface in Donadea is not uneven.

Ive been through the portumna site and cant find any training plans... have you got a link?
    Ta-daaa!
    Googledocs
    Training Plan Index page

Shamelessly linked from Seb's online training forum:
    Run Ireland

Also, anyone down south looking for a training buddy for long long long slow (slow slow) runs I'm mostly available with a bit of advance notice, especially for back2backs in the new year.

Bertie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Thanks for menoscemo too for the link to your training log, will read that with interest. Was considering starting one myself.

Check out claralara's log... Far more inspiring than Meno's ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

My tip is not to make the mistake of assuming that what is commonly perceived as an extreme event requires extreme training to complete. The biggest challenge I have found with Ultra events is to make the start line rested and uninjured.
    The best approach is to only enter an ultra once you have a few regular marathons under your belt and can complete them without any great stress or hardship. Finishing time is not important.
    The Connemara Ultra can be run well off a standard marathon program with slightly longer miles than you normally do.

The Connemara Ultra can be run well off a standard marathon program with slightly longer miles than you normally do.
    That is advice Im seeing a lot of here and elsewhere so I have to take it but Im thinking sub-6 as a reasonable goal for me [which I can get with decent training, but without killing myself since its my first ultra]- and that is basically running at a fractions slower than 4 hour marathon pace...

As someone who has not doneany ultra event yet, so who has no idea, that 50% extra time and distance seems like a lot?

9 min/mile is an easy running pace for me, so thats fine - but 6 hours is 6 hours :)

That is advice Im seeing a lot of here and elsewhere so I have to take it but Im thinking sub-6 as a reasonable goal for me [which I can get with decent training, but without killing myself since its my first ultra]- and that is basically running at a fractions slower than 4 hour marathon pace...

As someone who has not doneany ultra event yet, so who has no idea, that 50% extra time and distance seems like a lot?

9 min/mile is an easy running pace for me, so thats fine - but 6 hours is 6 hours :)
    it can be done with a few extra miles on top of a standard marathon program,but one rule of tumb to do is try and cover the race miles over two days on the weekend,so connemara is near 40 mile,so either do 2 x 20milers or maybe a 30+10,anything like that would be spot on for this,and some hill training during the week,if you could get a 50k race in coming around 3 or 4 weeks out you b flying:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

but without killing myself since its my first ultra]-
    will be ur second....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Vagga, there was a gaggle of us doing it last year with a loose plan to go sub 6hrs.
    Claralara and Marthastew were home in around 5:50, VaderMLK was just over the 6hrs, Digger around 6:25 and I was 6:38 or so but I had been sick leading into it and it took it's toll from mile 15 onwards. There should be enough comparisons there to realise 6hrs if very doable for you as long as you get in 4 or 5 weekends of long, slow back to back runs. Donadea is an excellent prep race and there's usually a few people doing LSRs in the park in the weeks leading up to both events.
    As ever the key is to take it at a nice handy pace like what you would recommend to a novice marathoner. It's a long way home if you go out too fast! (Or are sick!!:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 anthony.whelan

I ran it last year on pretty low mileage highest mile week was 73 and most were a lot less. I got around in 4.56 . I would echo what ray said about covering the race distance over the course of a weekend. I did 3 40 mile weekends (26 & 14, 22 & 18 , 31 & 9) bringing a few nasty hills into longer runs to tackle them on tired legs. Pace wise I just ran on feel and prob pushed a bit too much early on as I went through marathon at 3.10 but suffered late on. The goal was a sub 5 hour and thankfully I had some time in the bag . I plan on entering donadea aswel this year and also Connemara where I hope to take a significant chunk of time off my last years finish. Best of luck with training and see you at start line

Advertisement