Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which own brand/budget products are good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Aldi's baked beans are really good not watery and not too sweet like some of the cheap beans. Also their frozen pizzas, salads, pot noodles (curry flavour and only 31c), yoghurts are great really creamy. They also do a vegetable burger 4 pack in the freezer which are great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

LavaLamp wrote: »
    Lidl loo rolls get my vote too.
    We used to only ever buy the Lidl 2 ply loo roll but they must have changed the supplier fairly recently and now the plys don't stick together properly and we've stopped buying it.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭el diablo

Aldi's Specially Selected fresh ground coffee. Better than Robt. Roberts etc. and half the price.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Also Aldi Finest (?) oven chips in the black and silver bag are lovely. €2 a bag, much better than Home Fries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Also Aldi Finest (?) oven chips in the black and silver bag are lovely. €2 a bag, much better than Home Fries

Dunnes finest crinkle cut oven fries €2 for 1.5kg are my favourite for the price, but Aunt Bessie's crinkle cut which can hit €4 for 750g are the nicest (I only buy them when they're reduced though).

Aldi roasted winter veg (frozen) are pretty decent, saves the hassle of buying up a pile of different veg for roasting. Just pop it in the oven with a little bit of extra olive oil and honey to perk them up and it's a great side dish (I think it may cost less than a euro.
    Aldi frozen mash is about 99c for a pack too, also pretty tasty and much nicer than Mash Direct who have really went off the boil recently (pun??) in terms of flavour (and price of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Dunnes sell a two litre bottle, own brand lemonade for 49 cent.The parasiteskids are drinking it without complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

Aldi rock shandy
    Aldi potatoe wedges
    Aldi mayonaisse ,garlic one not nice
    Aldi lidl tesco organic milk/eggs lovely
    Aldi torro red wine Fab for a fiver
    Also lynches brown sliced buttermilk bread
    Aldi beans / pea grand

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

aldi snack noodles are the very same as pot noodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Tesco value tinned tomatoes are just as good as the cans for 80c (they cost 45c), also love their kidney beans, 17c a can, good for bulking out meals!

Tesco value tortilla chips, good value and taste good

Tesco value bran flakes and weetabix, and their Tesco rice crispies, can't taste any difference in comparison to the branded ones, which are so expensive I can't imagine myself ever buying them!

I love those Aldi "curly fries", €1 or so for a bag, compared to the miser portion from McDonalds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Anyone like haribo gold bears?

just bought a packet of Sugar land Gummy bears from aldis 99c and bigger then gold bears. and I think they taste the exact same. bigger bag as well :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭kilco

Well here's my suggestions ,this is a great thread that I've onlyjust found pity theres not a vote to rank things make it easier to read quickly

Burgers
    Dunnes have burgers called steakhouse char grilled quarter pounders, absolutely love them they stay lovely and moist even after cooking in the oven.Think they are about €2 for 4
    Fish
    Dunnes frozen breaded haddock about €4 much nicer than premium brand.
    Milk & Butter
    Dunnes, tesco , centra own brand all fine no difference
    Coleslaw
    Tesco finest creamy coleslaw lovely
    Toilet Tissue
    Always get the Dunnes luxury one and the price is good.
    Firelighters
    Tesco value ones better than Dunnes cheap ones
    Orange Juice
    Dunnes or tesco not from concentrate both taste great
    Pasta Sauce
    Tesco chunky vegetable I think is nicer than Dolmio

I absolutely love yoplait hazlenut yoghurt does anyone have an alternative that's cheaper ?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭shaddupayaface

kilco wrote: »

I absolutely love yoplait hazlenut yoghurt does anyone have an alternative that's cheaper ?
    Aldi have a range of yogurts that are the very same as yoplait and only 39c. They have all of the yoplait flavours too, apple. Melon and orange and hazelnut.

We buy Lidl's frozen pizza margherita in the box of 3 and then add extra cheese and toppings to suit everyone in the house. Everyone gets exactly what they want, there is little waste and it's a fraction of the price of buying preprepared pizza to suit everyone.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Supervalu Supreme frozen pizzas are gorgeous. Only around €3, they beat every branded pizza hands down. I'd say they're the closest to an "authentic" Italian style pizza you can get in a supermarket.

I've recently started doing most of my shopping in Aldi and I can't get over how good their food is and how much I'm saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Over the past few years Aldi has taken over as our weekly shop location with a few items in Tescos or Lidl.

I find the Lidl quality to be a bit less than Aldi. Tesco is too damn expensive.

Full trolley in Aldi for less than €100. Full trolley in Tesco pushing towards €160. Trick in Aldi and Lidl is to stay away from the middle aisles where all the bargains / tools etc are.

The honey in Aldi is cheaper than anywhere else. Their Benefit cereal tastes better than Special K. Stackers instead of Pringles. Their pancakes / crumpets cheaper than Tesco. Yougurts loverly and creamy. Relish yes. Cooked ham in packets yes. Pretty much everything.

Tesco gets our money for brand names which are nearly always cheaper than the same branded product in Aldi or Lidl eg Coke, Tayto, etc.

Main thing is to go to a shop for the special offers eg Cadburys Drinking Chocolate 1/2 price in Dunnes, Lidl's Super Saturday, etc and stock up on those items. Last time Lidl did Weetabix on the Super Saturday we bought a whole box (24 boxes) and have only just finished them. With 3 savages (agree with earlier poster - parasites :)) watching the prices is the only way to shop.

Great thread OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Dunnes Fruit and Fibre cereal 750g is decent value. Dunnes also have a range of own brand biscuits that are very good, particularly the chocolate biscuits at 69c I think. I note that in my local Dunnes that they cannot seem to keep their own brand chocolate biscuits in stock. They seem to sell very quickly. The Dunnes burgers that were pointed out by another poster above are also great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭okiss

I was in Tesco recently and I was looking for Woolite for hand washing.
    I found Tesco Non-bio Silk & Delicates Handwash for less than €2 and it works fine for less than half the price of Woolite

Anyone know of any own brand coffee beans? None in Tesco, Aldi, Lidl etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

bennyob wrote: »
    Aldi's 'weetabix' are as good as the branded one. I have 2 most mornings. I didn't like the lidl ones when I tried them.

Supervalu's 'cornflakes' are excellent too. Got a good review here http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0410/1224314565135.html

I also have a soft spot for supervalu's breaded fish. Very nice and a fraction of the price of donegal catch.

I haven't tried Supervalu's 'cornflakes' but I really like Centra's version (both could be the same but just repackaged). Centra 'cornflakes' have almost the same nutritional values as Kellogs. I've tried Lidl's version, and they are very bland.

el diablo wrote: »
    Anyone know of any own brand coffee beans? None in Tesco, Aldi, Lidl etc.

I used to find Ikea to be cheapest for whole coffee beans. Not sure if that is still the case since I emigrated.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Superquinn sausages
    Aldi Striploin steaks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You can't beat Aldi for:

Sunflower/Olive Oil. As good as the branded stuff and much cheaper.
    Marmalade - nom, nom! :D
    Ham - As good as Denny's and much cheaper.
    The cheeses are out of this world. Brilliant range, and excellent prices.
    Bacon - Good taste and reasonable quality, even if it does have quite a lot of water. But for E1.89 for a pack of smoked back, who cares!
    Herbal teas.
    Peanuts
    Hand-made sweets.
    Wine range is good and reasonably priced.

Lidl's bakery are the greatest! We love their cheese/onion rolls, scones, pain chocolat, and panini rolls. Very good prices and excellent taste.
    The bacon bits are very good. MUCH better than Dunnes/M & S which are very fatty and you end up having to drain the fat several times before you can eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

You can't beat Aldi for:

Don't forget Aldi's ground coffee.

They sell lovely French Blend Roast & Ground Coffee, much better (and cheaper) than many so called 'brands'.

They have three blends in this range, an Italian one and another, which escapes me at the moment. I mainly buy the French Blend. Very similar to Bewley's, 'French Blend\Breakfast' blend.

aldifrenchblend.jpg

Amalgam wrote: »

They sell lovely French Blend Roast & Ground Coffee, much better (and cheaper) than many so called 'brands'.

They have three blends in this range, an Italian one and another, which escapes me at the moment. I mainly buy the French Blend. Very similar to Bewley's, 'French Blend\Breakfast' blend.

And half the price of Bewleys and Robt. Roberts. :) The "Specially Selected" ground coffee in Aldi is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭sunbeam

+1 for Supervalu cornflakes.

I actually find that their Daily Basics firelighters are better quality than the other Supervalu own brand ones. Unfortunately they doubled the price of them during the summer, so they both work out at roughly the same price now.

Our fussy felines actually prefer Supervalu cat food pouches to Felix and Whiskas. However, not even the stray in our garden who tries to sneak food from their bowls will touch the Supervalu dry cat food.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Cats.Whiskers

Thanks for the recommendations ~ I normally buy the Bewleys French Roast so I'll definitely be trying this one.

ALSO Do they sell decaff ground coffee in Aldi? Thanks

Amalgam wrote: »

aldifrenchblend.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Love aldi. Benefit cereal tastes better than special k. Lovely selection of cakes, pastries etc. Their eggs are lovely and fresh and yellow. Great value on kids yoghurts, smoothies, fruit juices etc. The standard in aldi is so much better than lidl. Also love their marinades, spices etc. Full weekly shop costs roughly 40 compared to up to 100 in tesco, very important for a young working family.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,547 ✭✭✭✭unkel

arch20000 wrote: »
    The LIDL Arabica Espresso coffee in the medal tin in the dogs!!

+1

bellarom-espresso-regular--1.jpg

Better than the likes of Lavazza etc. which cost 2 or 3 times as much in Tesco / Superquinn

The price has been creeping up the last few years from €1.59 to €2.49 unfortunately. Still a bargain though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

The bacon bits are very good. MUCH better than Dunnes/M & S which are very fatty and you end up having to drain the fat several times before you can eat it.

Absolutely agree! Great for adding a bit of crunch to salads or omelettes.

Advertisement